Danger Zone (song)
|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (March 2014)|
|Single by Kenny Loggins|
|from the album Top Gun|
|B-side||"I'm Gonna Do It Right"|
|Released||May 13, 1986|
|Genre||Hard rock, dance-rock|
|Writer(s)||Giorgio Moroder, Tom Whitlock|
|Kenny Loggins singles chronology|
"Danger Zone" is a song, with music composed by Giorgio Moroder and lyrics written by Tom Whitlock, which American singer-songwriter Kenny Loggins recorded and released in 1986. The song appeared on the soundtrack to the 1986 American motion picture Top Gun.
Film producers Jerry Bruckheimer and Don Simpson, along with music supervisor Michael Dilbeck, had over 300 songs to employ on Top Gun. Testing compositions against the dailies of the opening scenes at the aircraft carrier, nothing satisfied them and Bruckheimer asked soundtrack producer Giorgio Moroder to write something. With the help of songwriter Tom Whitlock, he composed "Danger Zone", and had Joe Pizzulo record a demo. With the approval of the producers, soundtrack distributor Columbia Records requested Moroder to have "Danger Zone" performed by an artist signed by the label.
Bryan Adams was approached to allow his song "Only the Strong Survive" on the soundtrack and perform "Danger Zone", but Adams refused any involvement, feeling that the film glorified war and he did not want any of his work linked to it.
REO Speedwagon were also approached to perform "Danger Zone", but the group declined due to not being allowed to contribute any of their own compositions to the soundtrack.
Eventually, the film producers agreed that "Danger Zone" would be recorded and performed by Kenny Loggins. Whitlock went to Loggins' Encino home, and once shown the lyrics the singer added his own improvisations.
Dann Huff, lead singer and guitarist of the 1980s hard rock group Giant, played guitar on the song. The bass line is performed on a Yamaha DX7 synthesizer, with the drums being provided by a LinnDrum drum machine, both instruments extensively used in 1980s pop music. A tenor saxophone is added near the end of the song.
A music video was released in May 1986 to promote the single. The video was directed by Tony Scott and featured footage of Loggins singing, as well as clips from the film Top Gun, which Scott also directed.
According to the MuchMusic network's program Pop-Up Video, the U.S. Navy described this video as "the most effective recruiting poster ever produced."
- Kenny Loggins - vocals, guitar
- Giorgio Moroder - keyboards
- Nathan East - bass
- Tom Whitlock - synthesizer
- John Robinson - drums
- Tom Scott - saxophone
In popular culture
- The animated comedy series Archer features a running joke involving the song, with the title character frequently saying "Call Kenny Loggins, 'cause you're in the danger zone." Loggins appeared as himself in the fifth season episode "Baby Shower," performing a country version of the song with Cheryl Tunt.
- In the video game Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare 2, the song can be heard during the opening and the start of the game mode Infinity Time.
- The song features prominently in the 2013 video game Grand Theft Auto V, appearing in its radio station as well as in its online mode "heists" where it is played at successfully stealing a Hydra in Humane Labs Raid.
|Germany (Official German Charts)||10|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||12|
|Switzerland (Schweizer Hitparade)||6|
|United Kingdom (The Official Charts Company)||45|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||2|
|U.S. Billboard Album Rock Tracks||7|
|US Billboard Hot 100||42|
- Back to the 80s: Interview with Tom Whitlock, co-writer of 'Take My Breath Away' & more – Kickin' it Old School
- "Official TOTO Website - Encyclopedia". www.toto99.com. 2007-04-29. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Encyclopedia". thecanadianencyclopedia.ca. 2007-04-29. Retrieved 2012-03-12.
- "Musicline.de – Kenny Loggins Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Charts.org.nz – Kenny Loggins – Danger Zone". Top 40 Singles.
- "Swisscharts.com – Kenny Loggins – Danger Zone". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Kenny Loggins - Danger Zone - Official music video