Dangerous (Andy Taylor album)
|This article does not cite any references (sources). (December 2009)|
|Studio album by Andy Taylor|
|Andy Taylor chronology|
|Singles from Dangerous|
Andy Taylor commented on the history behind the album in and interview with MelodicRock: "It sort of one of those happy accidents. Somebody…a very well known band had this idea to do that and they wanted me to produce the album for them, doing this selection of their favourite covers. At the very last minute they pulled out. And I said to the label – A&M – I could do that. The guys that managed me at the time went into overdrive – 'you can do that as well, because you know how much money they are going to pay you to do it?!' I thought, great, this is something everyone wants to do – an album of their favourite covers. The reason things are so raw, was that within 3 days we were in the studio recording this thing and it was done in that sort of 'ok, let's rehearse them and beat the s##t out of them and play them and move on and just play them as you would do if you were in high school playing a bunch of covers!' It was done in that very short space of time and raw, upfront way. We had a blast doing it!"
The album was not widely promoted and had only limited success. Taylor's popularity had dwindled since leaving Duran Duran in 1986 and this album struggled with sales because of it. However, two singles were lifted from the album: "Lola" and "Stone Cold Sober", with "Lola" making UK #60. Both singles were accompanied with all black and white videos.
Ironically, Duran Duran, the band Taylor left, would release a cover album in 1995 with Thank You, with mixed results.
Highlights include the bouncy album opener "Don't Believe a Word" originally performed by Thin Lizzy and "Mustang Sally" originally performed by Wilson Pickett in 1966.
Dangerous would not be officially available in the United States until 2010, when Taylor's complete catalog was available to online music services such as iTunes.
- "Don't Believe a Word" (Thin Lizzy) - 2:21
- "Stone Cold Sober" (Rod Stewart) - 3:29
- "Feel Like Making Love" (Bad Company) - 4:32
- "Lola" (The Kinks) - 4:12
- "Space Station No. 5" (Montrose) - 4:16
- "Sympathy for the Devil" (The Rolling Stones) - 5:20
- "Mustang Sally" (Mack Rice) - 4:15
- "Violence" (Mott the Hoople) - 4:23
- "Cocaine" (J. J. Cale) - 3:33
- "Live Wire" (AC/DC) - 5:29
- "Lola" (The Kinks) (b/w) "Be Good To Yourself" (Andy Fraser). UK #60
- "Stone Cold Sober" (Rod Stewart) (b/w) "Suffragette City" (Dave Bowie) and "Winner With You" (Jess Roden)