Dangerous (Kardinal Offishall song)
|Single by Kardinal Offishall featuring Akon|
|from the album Not 4 Sale|
|Released||March 18, 2008|
|Format||Digital download, CD single, 12" single|
|Length||4:11 (Album Version)
3:52 (Radio Edit)
|Label||Kon Live/Geffen/Black Jays|
|Songwriter(s)||J. Harrow, A. Thiam, D. Sales, C. Bahamonde|
|Producer(s)||DJ Kemo & hAZEL|
|Kardinal Offishall singles chronology|
|Akon singles chronology|
"Dangerous" is a hip hop song by Kardinal Offishall featuring Akon. Produced by DJ Kemo and hAZEL, it was the first single from his fourth album, Not 4 Sale. It was released to radio in March 2008, and on iTunes on April 1. On the week of May 13, at the American iTunes Store, the song was offered as a free download (Single of the Week). The song won the award for Single of the Year at the 2009 Juno Awards. In March 2010, the single was certified 3× Platinum by the CRIA.
The music video was shot in Miami, Florida and directed by Gil Green. It debuted in early May on AOL.com. It starts off with a girl (Chanta Patton) passing by Kardinal, Akon, and friends as all of them watch her and follow her. Most of the scenes start by zooming out of objects such as sunglasses, a drinking cup, etc. It has scenes in a restaurant, a club, and a beach. There are cameo appearances in the video by DJ Khaled, Red Cafe, Black Chiney, Clinton Sparks, and many more.
Formats and track listings
- "Dangerous" (Clean)
- "Dangerous" (Remix) (featuring Akon and Sean Paul)
- "Dangerous" (Explicit)
- "Dangerous" (Instrumental)
There are three official remixes for "Dangerous". The first is a soca remix which uses a different beat, and retains the original lyrics. The second remix features Akon and Sean Paul, using the original beat, with new lyrics by Kardinal and Sean Paul. The third remix uses a different beat, and features Akon, Sean Paul, and Twista.
After being released by the Canadian iTunes Store, the song quickly raced to the top 10 on the Top 100 songs list, peaking at #3. As a result of this, it debuted on the Canadian Hot 100 the following week at #9, and in early July, the song peaked at #2. On the issue date of May 17, the song debuted on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart, making it Kardinal's third single to make an appearance on a U.S. Billboard chart, and his first since "Belly Dancer" in 2003. The following week, the single debuted at #91 on the Billboard Hot 100, and later peaked at #5, making him the first Canadian rapper to have a song chart on the Hot 100. In early October 2008, the single was released in the UK on iTunes. The single achieved moderate success there, peaking at #16 on the UK Singles Chart.
|Australian Singles Chart||42|
|Austrian Singles Chart||52|
|Brazilian Singles Chart (ABPD)||11|
|Canadian Hot 100||2|
|Danish Singles Chart||31|
|French Singles Chart||1|
|Finnish Singles Chart||1|
|Norwegian Singles Chart||1|
|Polish Airplay Charts||4|
|Romanian Singles Chart||4|
|Swedish Singles Chart||46|
|Swiss Singles Top 100||47|
|UK Singles Chart||16|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||5|
|U.S. Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||50|
|U.S. Billboard Hot Rap Tracks||1|
|U.S. Billboard Pop 100||1|
|Canadian Hot 100||11|
|Hungarian Singles Chart||51|
|US Billboard Hot 100||29|
"Dangerous" was featured in a dance routine performed by A.S.I.I.D., in an episode of America's Best Dance Crew. The song was also featured on So You Think You Can Dance Canada, during a hip-hop dance performance by Dario Milard and Romina D'Ugo. It also featured in the closing credits of King Arthur: Legend of the Sword. The "Dangerous" remix, featuring Akon and Sean Paul, is featured in the 2009 video game expansion pack, Grand Theft Auto IV: The Lost and Damned.
- Scratch Korner: DJ Kemo Archived 2008-04-20 at the Wayback Machine. HipHopCanada. Accessed on May 16, 2008.
- JUNO Awards 2009 - Nominees[permanent dead link] JunoAwards.ca. Accessed on March 1, 2009.
- Gold & Platinum Certifications for March 2010 Archived March 8, 2012, at the Wayback Machine. CRIA. Accessed on May 13, 2010.
- Top Music Charts - Hot 100 - Billboard 200 - Music Genre Sales Billboard. Accessed on October 29, 2008.
- Austrian Singles Chart Accessed on October 15, 2008.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Nielsen Airplay Top 5" (in Polish). Nielsen Music Control. Retrieved 2016-11-18.
- Romanian Top 100 Accessed on October 18, 2008.
- "Canadian Hot 100 Year-End 2008". Retrieved 2012-03-29.
- "Éves összesített listák - MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 (súlyozott)". Mahasz. Mahasz.
- "Billboard Hot 100 Year-End 2008". Retrieved 2012-03-29.
"1234" by Feist
|Juno Award for Single of the Year
"Haven't Met You Yet" by Michael Bublé