|Birth name||Mike Schaefer Olsen|
|Genres||Ambient, Nordic folk music|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, Songwriter, Producer, Singer|
Works and Style
Olsen was born in Copenhagen in 1985 and produced mostly in the electronic genre until 2016, when a strong interest in Norse mythology led him start combining that with his music. His stage name approximately means Danish Home, taken from the Old Norse language word 'heim', meaning home.
Since 2016, Danheim has released seven records on his own independent label. His style has been described by reviewers as 'Brian Eno doing the soundtrack for Game of Thrones' or 'inspired folk music, with dark undertones'. Lyrically, his music deals with such mythological tales as Hrungir's fight with Thor, the story of Fimbul Winter and much more.
In his 2019 release Hringrás, Danheim recorded the last three minutes of a track using only parts of dead plants and animals, as well as some real human bones.
In 2019, Danheim also contributed music to the soundtrack of three episodes from the second half of the sixth season of the History Channel series Vikings. One of the actors from the show, Georgia Hirst, enjoyed Danheim's contributions to the score so much that she released a social media video praising his music.
As of January 2020, his YouTube channel receives an average of 90,000 new viewers each day. He has 247,000 subscribers and over 50 million video views in total.
- "About". Retrieved 2020-02-06.
- Rosvald, Jonas (2018-05-02). "Interview med Danheim". Heavymetal.dk (in Danish). Retrieved 2020-01-28.
- "Modern-Day Thors Drop the Hammer: These Vikings Show Us How to Rock". InsideHook. Retrieved 2020-01-28.
- "Viking Music". Sons of Vikings. Retrieved 2020-01-28.
- Rotar, Tim Raven (2017-12-10). "RavenzCraft Arts Interview Project: Interview with Danheim". RavenzCraft Arts Interview Project. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Discography – Danheim | Official Page". Retrieved 2020-01-28.
- "Danheim - Herja". Heavymetal.dk (in Danish). 2018-03-15. Retrieved 2020-01-28.
- "Danish Viking musician Danheim uses real human bones in upcoming album about Life & Death". GRIMM Gent. 2018-11-30. Retrieved 2020-01-28.
- Vikings (TV Series 2013– ) - IMDb, retrieved 2020-01-28
- "'Vikings' Season 6 Episode 9: Artist Danheim's music has fans asking for more Norwegian folk melodies". meaww.com. Retrieved 2020-01-31.
- "Danheim's YouTube Stats (Summary Profile) - Social Blade Stats". socialblade.com. Retrieved 2020-01-28.