Dania Ramirez in 2017
Dania Jissel Ramírez
November 8, 1979
Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic
Bev Land (m. 2013)
Dania Jissel Ramirez (born November 8, 1979) is a Dominican-American television and film actress. Her credits include the roles of Maya Herrera in Heroes, Alex in Entourage, and Blanca during the last season of The Sopranos on television. Her film roles include Alex Guerrero in She Hate Me and Callisto in the feature film X-Men: The Last Stand. She portrayed Rosie Falta on Lifetime's Devious Maids from June 2013 until its cancellation in 2016. In July 2017, Ramirez joined the hit ABC series Once Upon a Time for its softly-rebooted seventh season in a starring role as Cinderella.
Ramirez was born in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. At an early age, she decided to become an actress. As a young child, she would reenact telenovelas for her family. She was discovered by a modeling scout while working in a convenience store at the age of 15, and was cast in a small part in a soda commercial. Later, she decided to pursue acting seriously and studied at the Actor's Workshop in New York City under Flo Greenberg.
She graduated from Montclair State University in 2001, where her volleyball talents led her to be placed among the top five in career digs, digs/game, solo blocks and total blocks. She then moved to Los Angeles to pursue her acting career.
Ramirez has appeared in several music videos, including Jay-Z's Streets is Watching (1998), De La Soul's "All Good?" feat. Chaka Khan (2000), LL Cool J's "Hush" (2005; directed by her then fiancè Jessy Terrero), Santana's "Into the Night" (2007), as well as "Cry Baby Cry" (a collaboration of Santana and Sean Paul). Ramirez has also appeared in Wisin & Yandel's music video "Dime Qué Te Pasó", in which she played the main character, the wife and mother of a military man in Iraq who finds out her husband died at war. She was also featured in hip-hop group Sporty Thievz's video "Cheapskate" in 1998.
Ramirez appeared as an extra in the HBO film Subway Stories (1997), where she met filmmaker Spike Lee who later cast her in the film She Hate Me (2004). She played older sister "Laurie" in the movie Fat Albert (2004). She was Callisto (one of The Omegas) in the comic book film X-Men: The Last Stand (2006). She went on to star in The 5th Commandment in 2008, a film written by and starring Rick Yune. In 2012, Ramirez appeared in two films, playing Selena in American Reunion and a bicycle messenger in Premium Rush.
Ramirez appeared as the minor character Caridad in the final episodes of the television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and as Blanca Selgado a recurring role during season six of The Sopranos.
Ramirez portrayed the character of Maya Herrera on the TV series Heroes. She was a guest judge on episode five of Cycle 14 of America's Next Top Model. She also guest starred as Alex, an employee of Turtle's and begins a relationship with Turtle in season seven on the TV series Entourage.
From 2013 to 2016, she had been part of the main cast of Devious Maids, which aired on the Lifetime network for four seasons. She portrayed Rosie Falta, one of the main characters and titular protagonists of Devious Maids.
In July 2017, Ramirez was cast as a series regular in the softly-rebooted final season of Once Upon A Time. This was following the exit of six key cast members which included series leads Ginnifer Goodwin and Jennifer Morrison, as well as Josh Dallas, Emilie De Ravin, Rebecca Mader and Jared Gilmore.
Ramirez has appeared in several magazine spreads. She has also been listed in several of the world's top publications' "Sexiest Ladies of the Year" lists. She has recently been added to the roster of models for CoverGirl Cosmetics. In March 2010, Ramirez and Queen Latifah launched the company's "Clean Makeup for Clean Water Campaign".
Dania dated Soul Plane director Jessy Terrero until 2008. She became engaged in September 2011 to director John Beverly "Bev" Land. The couple married on the beach in Punta Cana, Dominican Republic on February 16, 2013. Land has a son Kai (b. 2001) with former wife Sharon Leal. On July 15, 2013, Ramirez announced that she was pregnant with twins. In December 2013, she gave birth to fraternal twins: a son (John) and a daughter (Gaia).
|2004||Little Black Boot||Laurie Rodriguez||Short film|
|2004||The Ecology of Love||Alila|
|2004||She Hate Me||Alex Guerrero|
|2006||X-Men: The Last Stand||Callisto|
|2008||Ball Don't Lie||Carmen|
|2008||The Fifth Commandment||Angel|
|2010||Brooklyn to Manhattan||Jessica|
|2018||Off the Menu||Javiera Torres|
|2018||Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay||Scandal Savage||Voice|
|2019||Untitled third Jumanji film||Filming|
|2003||Buffy the Vampire Slayer||Caridad||3 episodes|
|2003||Run of the House||Lucy||Episode: "The Party"|
|2004||10-8: Officers on Duty||Inez||Episode: "Gypsy Road"|
|2005||Romy and Michele: In the Beginning||Elena||Movie|
|2006–2007||The Sopranos||Blanca Selgado||5 episodes|
|2007||Fort Pit||Angela Hardwick||Movie|
|2007–2008||Heroes||Maya Herrera||Series regular (15 episodes)|
|2009||Solving Charlie||Veronica King||Television film|
|2010||America's Next Top Model||Herself / Guest Judge||2 episodes|
|2010||Entourage||Alex||10 episodes in season 7|
|2013–2016||Devious Maids||Rosie Falta||Main role, 49 episodes|
|2013–2016||The Talk||Herself / Guest Co-Hostess||6 episodes|
|2015||First Response||Camilla||Television film|
|2017–2018||Once Upon a Time||Cinderella / Jacinda Vidrio||Series regular (Season 7)|
|2018||Justice League Action||Red Velvet||Episode: "She Wore Red Velvet"|
|2018–present||Tell Me a Story||Hannah Perez||Series regular|
|2008||ALMA Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Television Series||Heroes||Nominated|
|2014||Imagen Awards||Best Actress –Television||Devious Maids||Nominated|
|2016||NAMIC Vision Awards||Best Performance–Comedy||Devious Maids||Won|
- "Dania Ramirez". TV Guide. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Ausiello, Michael; Ausiello, Michael (2017-07-06). "Once Upon a Time Season 7 Reset: Gabrielle Anwar, Devious Maids Alum, Reign Star Among 5 New Additions". TVLine. Retrieved 2017-07-14.
- "Interview: Devious Maids' Dania Ramirez on making it in America". South China Morning Post. 2015-08-15. Retrieved 2019-03-24.
- Venable, Malcolm (2004-12-01). "Dania Ramirez: with boundary-breaking boosters like Bill Cosby and Spike Lee, she's building a career by busting down stereotypes". Interview. Archived from the original on 2008-03-02. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- MSU Volleyball Records (Career) Archived May 24, 2009, at the Wayback Machine from the Montclair State University website
- Reid, Shaheem (2004-09-24). "LL Brings It Back To The 'Hood For 'Hush' Video". MTV.com. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- Sanchez, Mercedes (2006-05-10). "Dueling Dania" (PDF). New York Post. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2008-10-31. Retrieved 2008-09-07.
- "Revisiting Spike Lee's Perplexing She Hate Me on Its 11th Anniversary". Indiewire. 23 July 2015. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- "5 join the cast of Fat Albert". movieweb. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Siegel, Tatiana (June 8, 2010). "Thesp's in a 'Rush' for Columbia". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved August 8, 2010.
- Sneider, Jeff (May 31, 2011). "'American Reunion' adds Dania Ramirez". Variety. Reed Business Information. Retrieved June 1, 2011.
- "Fast Facts". TV Guide. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- "Dania Ramirez Biography". buddy tv. Archived from the original on 14 September 2016. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- Although, recently, her character Maya has been written off. New Female Joins Heroes Cast Archived August 29, 2008, at the Wayback Machine from The Hollywood Reporter
- "EXCLUSIVE: Dania Ramirez and Queen Latifah Launch CoverGirl's Clean Makeup for Clean Water Campaign". Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2013-06-30.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) Land’s fiancee, Dania Ramirez, came up with the idea. She had written two verses and a bridge.
- "Dania Ramirez Marries Director John Beverly Amos Land!". usmagazine.com. Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "Dania Ramirez Married". latina.com. Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "Dania Ramirez Marries Director John Beverly Amos Land!". lipstickalley.com. Archived from the original on 28 September 2013. Retrieved 28 August 2013.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2016-03-04. Retrieved 2013-06-30.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link) 10.30.01 - The November 6th issue of Soap Opera Digest reports that Sharon Leal and fiancé Bev Land welcomed their first child, Kai Miles Land, into the world on September 13th.
- "'Devious Maids' Star Dania Ramirez Reveals She Having Twins By Sharing Sonogram". Fox News Latino. 16 July 2013. Retrieved 16 July 2013.
- Michaud, Sarah; Hernandez, Lee (10 January 2014). "Dania Ramirez Welcomes Twins Gaia Jissel and John Aether". People. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Johnson, Zach (20 December 2013). "Dania Ramirez Gives Birth to Twins". E! Online. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Dania Ramirez 'Devious Maids'".
- Andreeva, Nellie (June 12, 2018). "Dania Ramirez To Co-Star In CBS All Access Thriller Series 'Tell Me A Story'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved June 12, 2018.
- "ALMA Awards 2009 nominees". LA Times. 25 August 2009. Retrieved 10 May 2016.
- "Nominees for the 29th Annual Imagen Awards Announced". imagen.org/. Archived from the original on 24 June 2014. Retrieved 10 May 2016.