Manning in 2012.
|No. 38, 27|
|Position:||Safety / Return specialist|
|Date of birth:||August 9, 1982|
|Place of birth:||Corsicana, Texas|
|Height:||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight:||211 lb (96 kg)|
|High school:||Corsicana (TX)|
|NFL draft:||2006 / Round: 2 / Pick: 42|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Career NFL statistics|
Danieal LaCraig Manning (born August 9, 1982) is a former American football safety. He was drafted by the Chicago Bears in the second round of the 2006 NFL Draft. He played college football at Abilene Christian.
High school career
Before college, he was a highly touted defensive back at Corsicana High School in Corsicana, Texas. A three-year starter, as a senior he totaled 67 tackles, three interceptions and three blocked kicks and was named second team all-state by the Associated Press and the Texas Sports Writers Association. He also starred in track, finishing second in the state in Class 4A in both the 100-meter dash and triple jump 
Manning originally signed with the University of Nebraska, but he never enrolled there, choosing to attend Abilene Christian University. For the Abilene Christian Wildcats football, as a sophomore he was named Division II third-team All-American at defensive back, as a junior first-team All-American as a return specialist, and as a senior first-team All-American as a defensive back.
2006 NFL Draft
Manning was ranked as the No. 9 safety available in the 2006 NFL Draft by Sports Illustrated. He was drafted by the Chicago Bears with the 42nd pick from Abilene Christian University, which made him the first player from a non-Division I school to be selected that year (as well as the second highest pick in the history of the school's football program, after Johnny Perkins in 1977).
Midway through the 2008 NFL season, Manning took over Devin Hester's duties as the Bears' kick returner. On December 11, 2008, he returned a kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown, making it the first regular season opening kickoff returned for a touchdown for the Bears since 1972. A week before this touchdown, Manning picked off David Garrard's pass on the Jaguars opening drive, and returned it to the Jaguars five-yard line.
Manning led the league in return average and number of 30+-yard returns, despite only starting half the season. Manning was Bears starting nickelback in 2008, and competed with Josh Bullocks, Corey Graham, Kevin Payne, and Craig Steltz for starting free safety. Manning won the starting position before the start of the Bears 2009 summer training camp. On passing downs, Manning played nickelback, while Steltz filled in for him at free safety. Due to Manning's larger role on defense, the Bears have chosen second year wide receiver Johnny Knox to take over kick returning duties.
On March 31, 2014, Manning was released by the Texans.
Second stint with Texans
Manning announced his retirement from the NFL on July 14, 2015.
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- "Danieal Manning Pro Football Reference Profile". pro-football-reference.com.
- Short Work for Manning
- "SI.com". CNN.
- [dead link]
- "Bears, Manning beat Jaguars". MyCentralJersey.com. 2008-12-07. Retrieved 2010-12-28.
- Dickerson, Jeff (2009-07-22). "Position battle: Safety". ESPN. Retrieved 2009-07-23.
- "Bears do secondary shuffle". Chicago Sun-Times. 2009-07-29. Archived from the original on August 8, 2009. Retrieved 2009-07-30.
- Mayer, Larry (2009-09-30). "Why is Johnny Knox returning kickoffs instead of Danieal Manning?". chicagobears.com. Retrieved 2009-10-05.
- Texans improve 'D' with deals with Joseph, Manning July 28, 2011
- Houston Texans of to franchise-best 4-0 start with 38-14 win over Tennessee Titans September 30, 2012.
- "Danieal Manning Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved 5 February 2015.
- Official website
- Danieal Manning on Twitter
- Cincinnati Bengals bio
- Houston Texans bio
- Abilene Christian Wildcats bio