German: [ˈdaːni̯eːl, -ni̯ɛl]
|Name day||July 21|
|Meaning||God is my judge|
Դանիէլ (Taniēl) (Armenian)
Daniel is a masculine given name and a surname of Hebrew origin. It means "God is my judge" (cf. Gabriel—"God is my strength"), and derives from two early biblical figures, primary among them Daniel from the Book of Daniel. It is a common given name for males, and is also used as a surname. It is also the basis for various derived given names and surnames.
The name evolved into over 100 different spellings in countries around the world. Nicknames (Dan, Danny) are common in both English and Hebrew; "Dan" may also be a complete given name rather than a nickname. The name "Daniil" (Даниил) is common in Russia. Feminine versions (Danielle, Danièle, Daniela, Daniella, Dani, Danitza) are prevalent as well. The Dutch names "Daan" and "Daniël" are also variations of Daniel. A related surname developed as a patronymic, Daniels. Other surnames derived from "Daniel" include McDaniel and Danielson.
In the United States, the U.S. Social Security Administration reports that Daniel has peaked as the fifth most popular name for newborns in 1985, 1990, 2007, and 2008. The U.S. Census Bureau reported that in the 2000 census, "Daniels" was the 182nd most common surname in the U.S., while "McDaniel" was ranked at 323, and "Daniel" (without a final "s") was ranked at 380. In 2016, Top 100 Baby Names in Canada ranked it at number 27.
People named Daniel
- "Daniel - Deutsch-Übersetzung - Langenscheidt Französisch-Deutsch Wörterbuch" (in German and French). Langenscheidt. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Duden | Daniel | Rechtschreibung, Bedeutung, Definition". Duden (in German). Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Daniel - Französisch-Übersetzung - Langenscheidt Deutsch-Französisch Wörterbuch" (in German and French). Langenscheidt. Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Dàniel". Hrvatski jezični portal (in Serbo-Croatian). Retrieved 21 October 2018.
- "Names that are related to DANIEL", Behind the Name
- "Behind the Name: Meaning, Origin and History of the Name Daniel". behindthename.com.
- Hanks, Hardcastle and Hodges, Oxford Dictionary of First Names, Oxford University Press, 2nd edition, ISBN 978-0-19-861060-1, p. 68.
- "Surname: Daniel". surnamedb.com. Retrieved 31 March 2008.
- "Top 5 Names In Each Of The Last 100 Years", U.S. Social Security Administration.
- "Frequently Occurring Surnames from the Census 2000", United States Census Bureau.
- "Top 100 Baby Names in Canada"