Daniel (Elton John song)
|Single by Elton John|
|from the album Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player|
|Released||26 March 1973|
|Format||Vinyl record (7")|
Château d'Hérouville, France
|Songwriter(s)||Elton John, Bernie Taupin|
|Elton John singles chronology|
"Daniel" is a song and ballad by Elton John. It appeared on the 1973 album Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player. It was written by John and his lyricist Bernie Taupin. In the United Kingdom, the song reached no. 4 in the official chart. In the US the song reached No. 2 on the pop charts (only held from number one by "My Love" by Paul McCartney & Wings) and No. 1 on the adult contemporary charts for two weeks in the spring of 1973. In the United States, it was certified Gold in September 1995 and Platinum in May 2018 by the RIAA. In Canada, it became his second No. 1 single, following "Crocodile Rock" earlier in the year, holding the position for two weeks in the RPM 100 national singles chart. Writers John and Taupin received the 1973 Ivor Novello award for Best Song Musically and Lyrically.
Bernie Taupin wrote "Daniel" after reading an article in either Time or Newsweek about a Vietnam War veteran who had been wounded, and wanted to get away from the attention he was receiving when he went back home. The last verse in the original draft was cut from the final version, which has led to some speculation on the contents.
"'Daniel' had been the most misinterpreted song that we'd ever written," explained Taupin, in the Two Rooms tribute project. "The story was about a guy that went back to a small town in Texas, returning from the Vietnam War. They'd lauded him when he came home and treated him like a hero. But, he just wanted to go home, go back to the farm, and try to get back to the life that he'd led before. I wanted to write something that was sympathetic to the people that came home."
- Elton John – Fender Rhodes electric piano, "flute" Mellotron, vocals
- Davey Johnstone – acoustic guitar, banjo
- Dee Murray – bass
- Nigel Olsson – drums, maracas
- Ken Scott – ARP synthesizer
- Grammy Awards
|Year||Nominee / work||Award||Result|
|1974||"Daniel"||Best Pop Vocal Performance – Male||Nominated|
"Daniel" was covered on the 1991 album Two Rooms: Celebrating the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin by Wilson Phillips. It reached number seven on the US Adult Contemporary chart as an album cut.
Sam Smith covered the song for the 2018 tribute album Revamp: Reimagining the Songs of Elton John & Bernie Taupin.
Use as film music
- List of RPM number-one singles of 1973 (Canada)
- List of number-one adult contemporary singles of 1973 (U.S.)
- Fontenot, Robert. "Oldies Music Encyclopedia: "Soft Rock"". About.com. Retrieved 26 January 2017.
- "Chart Stats - Elton John - Daniel". Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- "allmusic - Elton John - Billboard singles". Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 12 February 2012.
- Lister, David, Pop ballads bite back in lyrical fashion, The Independent (London), 28 May 1994
- "Donatella Versace Daniel Versace - Donatella Versace Net Worth". Getnetworth.com. 1955-05-02. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- Joseph J. Foy (5 February 2015). American Politics Through Popular Culture. University Press of Kentucky. p. 203.
- "Bernie Taupin Interview". Billboard: 14. 4 October 1997.
- RPM Adult Contemporary, June 16, 1973
- "De Nederlandse Top 40, week 9, 1973". Archived from the original on 20 February 2008. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- "dutchcharts.nl - Elton John - Daniel". Archived from the original on 12 October 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- "charts-surfer.de search results". Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- "irishcharts.ie search results". Archived from the original on 1 February 2010. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- "Flavour of New Zealand - search listener". flavourofnz.co.nz.
- "norwegiancharts.com - Elton John - Daniel". Archived from the original on 24 October 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- ""Daniel" on the South African Singles Chart". Springbok Radio. Retrieved 25 September 2010.
- "Elton John - Daniel - hitparade.ch". Archived from the original on 10 November 2012. Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 3 June 2016. Retrieved 2016-03-01.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- * Zimbabwe. Kimberley, C. Zimbabwe: singles chart book. Harare: C. Kimberley, 2000
- Steffen Hung. "Forum - Top 100 End of Year AMR Charts - 1980s (ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts)". Australian-charts.com. Archived from the original on 6 October 2014. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Item Display - RPM - Library and Archives Canada". Collectionscanada.gc.ca. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Top 100 Hits of 1973/Top 100 Songs of 1973". Musicoutfitters.com. Retrieved 2016-10-08.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 11 January 2015. Retrieved 2016-06-25.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)
- "Grammy Awards: Best Pop Vocal Performance - Male". rockonthenet.com. Retrieved 13 July 2015.
- "allmusic - Wilson Phillips - Billboard singles". Retrieved 28 January 2009.
- Something Like Human