Daniel Aaron Bress
Daniel A. Bress
|Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit|
|Appointed by||Donald Trump|
|Born||1979 (age 39–40)|
Hollister, California, U.S.
|Education||Harvard College (AB)|
University of Virginia School of Law (JD)
Daniel Aaron Bress (born 1979) is a partner at Kirkland & Ellis and is a United States Circuit Judge–Designate of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
Early life and career
Bress earned his Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude, from Harvard College, and his Juris Doctor from the University of Virginia School of Law, where he was inducted into the Order of the Coif, and served as Editor-in-Chief of the Virginia Law Review. After graduating from law school, Bress served as a law clerk to Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit and to Associate Justice Antonin Scalia of the Supreme Court of the United States. He then worked in the San Francisco, California office of Munger, Tolles & Olson. Bress is currently a partner at the Washington, D.C. office of Kirkland & Ellis. He has served as an adjunct professor at the Columbus School of Law and the University of Virginia School of Law.
Nomination to court of appeals
On January 30, 2019, President Trump announced his intent to nominate Bress to serve as a United States Circuit Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. On February 6, 2019, his nomination was sent to the Senate. He was nominated to the seat vacated by Alex Kozinski, who retired on December 18, 2017. On May 22, 2019, a hearing on his nomination was held before the Senate Judiciary Committee. On June 20, 2019, his nomination was reported out of committee by a party line 12–10 vote. On July 8, 2019, the Senate invoked cloture on his nomination by a vote of 50–42 and on the following day, July 9, his nomination was confirmed by the Senate by a vote of 53–45. He is currently awaiting his judicial commission.
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Questionnaire for Judicial Nominees: Daniel Bress
- "Bress '05 to Clerk for Justice Scalia". University of Virginia School of Law. Retrieved January 31, 2019.
- "President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Judicial Nominees". whitehouse.gov. January 30, 2019. Retrieved January 30, 2019. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- "Twelve Nominations Sent to the Senate", The White House, February 6, 2019
- United States Senate Committee on the Judiciary: Nominations for May 22, 2019
- Results of Executive Business Meeting – June 20, 2019, Senate Judiciary Committee
- Engelmayer, Caroline S. (June 20, 2019). "Senate panel approves judge over objections by California lawmakers". Los Angekes Times. Retrieved June 20, 2019.
- "On the Nomination (Confirmation Daniel A. Bress, of California, to be U.S. Circuit Judge for the Ninth Circuit)". United States Senate. July 9, 2019. Retrieved July 9, 2019.
- Daniel Aaron Bress at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
| Judge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit