A major contributor to this article appears to have a close connection with its subject. (September 2021)
|Alma mater||CUNY School of Law|
Belardinelli experienced communication difficulties as a child and learned to express himself through artistic compositions. By the age of 15, he frequented Studio 54 and Xenon and, as a result, he met and was influenced by Andy Warhol, Larry Rivers, Christopher Makos and Antonio Lopez. He developed various addictions, but was eventually able to subdue them by drawing and painting about them.
Belardinelli booked a ticket on United Airlines Flight 93 for September 11, 2001, a flight that crashed in Shanksville, Pennsylvania. Belardinelli changed his plans at the last minute and did not board the flight. As his uncle, William Cashman, died on the flight, he was allowed to listen to the tapes of the flight and later completed a drawing of what the terrorists had announced over the loudspeaker to the passengers. This drawing was included in Jere Longman's book, Among the Heroes. Belardinelli was featured in the A&E documentary I Missed Flight 93 (2006).
Belardinelli uses multiple mediums to paint, with nail polish featuring as a dominant medium of his art since 1985. He draws and paints daily in large 'At-A-Glance' journals which bear witness to his life. He has exhibited at the Outsider Art Fair annually since 1995, and his work has been displayed in the American Visionary Art Museum. In 2001, several of Belardinelli's nail polish paintings were included in the "High On Life – Transcending Addictions" show, which was curated by Tom Paterson at AVAM. He has participated in "Revelations and Reflections of American Self Taught Artists", and has exhibited worldwide, but most extensively in Europe and the Americas. He was listed in "Outsider Art Fair: 10 Artists to Buy Now" in The Daily Beast.
Belardinelli has no formal art training, but is a graduate of City University of New York School of Law. He is an attorney licensed by The State Bar of New Jersey (both State and Federal Courts), the Southern and Eastern Federal District Courts of New York State and The United States Supreme Court in Washington, DC. He was an organizer of the 501(3)(c) nonprofit organization, "The New Jersey Volunteer Lawyers Association," and has been a featured artist in their annual fundraiser.
- Paterson, Tom. "Disordered and Driven". Raw Vision. 66. Archived from the original on 2013-11-04. Retrieved 2013-10-30.
- Leslie Hoffman (July 16, 2003). "Art Review: Self-taught artist's childlike works convey brutal honesty". Old Post Gazette. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- Murphy, Eliza. "The Unpolished Appeal of Daniel Belardinelli". The Museum of People's Art.
- "Vital Signs – New work by noted self-taught artist Daniel Belardinelli". ArtCat. Retrieved September 8, 2011.
- "Missing Flight 91 -(flight 93) 9/11 passenger oddity". 911review.org. Retrieved November 17, 2013.
- Park, Madison (September 5, 2011). "Small Choices Saved Lives: Near Misses of 911". CNN.
- Longman, Jere (2003). Among the Heroes: United 93 and the Passengers and Crew Who Fought Back. Harper Collins. ISBN 9780060099084.
- "I Missed Flight 93". A&E. 2006. Archived from the original on February 7, 2006. Retrieved November 19, 2013.
- DiIonno, Mark. "Jersey artist goes from 'outsider' to insider", The Star-Ledger, February 5, 2017. Accessed August 26, 2018. "In 2009, attorney and artist Daniel Belardinelli, was in the North Bergen Municipal Court to help out a friend with a motor vehicle violation.... 'He was this very simple guy,' said Belardinelli, who lives in Boonton."
- "Space Cowboy". Time Out New York. 2011-06-17.
- Hoffman, Leslie (July 16, 2003). "Unpolished Appeal". Pittsburgh Post Gazette.
- Moreault, Eric (June 4, 1999). "Art La Loi". Le Soleil.
- "Olof Art Gallery - Home". Olof-art.nl. Retrieved October 17, 2013.
- Pobric, Pac (March 1, 2013). "Insider Praise for Outsider Art" (PDF). ArtNewspaper. Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-03.
- Jacobsohn, Andy. "Outsider Art Fair: 10 Artists to Buy Now". The Daily Beast.
- Steinbaum, Rob (19 September 2007). "A Celebration of Lawyers in the Arts iii". New Jersey Law Journal.
- Saha, Paula (July 18, 2002). "This Lawyer Has Been Framed". The Star Ledger.
- Shaw, Kurt (July 4, 2003). "Untamed Artists". Pittsburgh Tribune Review.
- "Meet The Visual Artists".
- "North Bergen 'outsider artist'".
- Daniel Belardinelli, official website