The focus of Beltrá's recent work has been fine art aerial photography of landscapes and environmental issues. His best known project is a series of photographs of the Deepwater Horizon oil spill, titled Spill, which have been exhibited in galleries and museums across Europe and North America. Other topics he has photographed are tropical deforestation in Brazil, Indonesia, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo and global warming in the Arctic, Patagonia and the Southern Ocean. In September 2012, he documented the record-lowest summer sea ice level in the Arctic, which were later included in his "Ice" exhibition.
Life and work
Beltrá started his career with photos of bombings by the Basque separatist organization Euskadi Ta Askatasuna (ETA) while he was a student at the Complutense University of Madrid. He went on to work at EFE and the Gamma photo agency while also photographing assignments for Greenpeace. He is a board member of the International League of Conservation Photographers. He moved to Seattle in 2001.
Beltrá has presented his work in slideshows and lectures at galleries and conferences across North America, including the 9th World Wilderness Congress, the Annenberg Space for Photography, the Aquarium of the Pacific, and the ABC Continuity Forum.
- Spill. London: Gost, 2013. ISBN 978-0-9574272-4-2. With an essay by Barbara Bloemink. Edition of 2500 copies.
- Benham Gallery, Seattle. Sustainability / Sostenibilidad, May, 2009-July, 2009.
- City Hall, Paris. Prince's Rainforests Exhibition, October, 2009.
- Kew Botanical Gardens, London. Prince's Rainforests exhibition, October–December, 2009.
- 212 Gallery, Aspen. Spill, August–December, 2010.
- Seattle Aquarium, Seattle. Spill, May–August, 2011.
- Aquarium of the Pacific, Long Beach, Calif. Spill, October, 2011-January, 2012.
- Roca Gallery, Barcelona. Marea Negra, October, 2011-January, 2012.
- Catherine Edleman Gallery, Chicago. Spill, March–June, 2012.
- "Power,", Prix Pictet touring exhibition, toured the world, including London, Paris, and Istanbul.
- Somerset House, London. Landmark, Fields of Photography March–April, 2013.
- Quintenz Gallery, Aspen. Ice, December, 2012-February, 2013.
- Aperture Gallery, New York. Power, November, 2013-February, 2014.
- Museum of Photographic Arts, San Diego. Power, February–April, 2014.
- Lentos Kunstmuseum, Linz, Austria. Pure Water, October, 2014-February, 2015.
- 2006: 3rd prize, World Press Photo awards, nature series category, for his work on the Amazon Rainforest drought.
- 2006: Golden Award in the China Press International Photo (CHIPP) Contest, for his work on the Amazon Rainforest drought.
- 2007: 2nd prize, World Press Photo awards, contemporary issues category, for a photo of tropical deforestation in the Amazon.
- 2009: "Global Vision Award", Pictures of the Year International.
- 2011: winner, Veolia Environment Wildlife Photographer of the Year and the "Deeper Perspective of the Year" from the International Photography Awards for his photographs from the Gulf Oil spill.
- 2012: shortlisted for the 2012 Prix Pictet,
- 2013: Spain's BBVA Foundation granted Beltrá an award for Knowledge Dissemination and Communication in Biodiversity Conservation.
- 2014:first place in the Nature and Environment category in 2014 by the CHIPP contest.
- The Guardian. (2012). Photographer Daniel Beltrá on his Greenpeace mission to the Arctic
- Aspen Daily News. (2012). A Beautiful Disaster
- Canon Professional Network. (2008). Daniel Beltrá: Fighting for nature
- International League of Conservation Photographers
- Seattlest. (2011). Science into Images: Daniel Beltrá's SPILL
- Conservation International. (2009). 9th World Wilderness Congress (WILD9)
- Annenberg Space for Photography. (2010). The State of Tropical Rainforests
- Aquarium of the Pacific. (2011). The Deepwater Horizon Blowout: Two Perspectives—An Artist and a Scientist
- ABC Continuity Forum. (2012). 2012 ABC Continuity Forum
- YouTube: His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales speaks at the Sony World Photography Awards 
- The Guardian. (2009). Daniel Beltra's photographs of deforestation in the Democratic Republic of Congo
- The Independent. (2009).Prince's Rainforest exhibition opens at Kew
- Aspen Peak Magazine. (2010). Enviro Art at 212 Gallery
- Seattle Times (2011). 'Spill' exhibit captures drama of Gulf of Mexico oil disaster
- Aquarium of the Pacific. (2011)
- Roca Barcelona Gallery. (2011)
- Catherine Edelman Gallery. (2012)
- Prix Pictet
- Prix Pictet
- Istanbul Modern. (2013). Prix Pictet: Power
- Photomonitor. (2013)
- Quintenz Gallery. (2012)
- Aperture Gallery. (2013)
- Prix Pictet. (2013)
- Lentos Kunstmuseum. (2014) Pure Water: The Most Valuable Resource in the World
- World Press Photo. (2005)
- Holden, Sara. (2007). Planet Ocean: Photo stories from the 'Defending our Oceans' voyage. New Internationalist. ISBN 1904456790
- World Press Photo. (2006)
- Blue Earth Alliance. (2009). Amazon: Forest at Risk.
- International Photography Awards. (2011)
- Prix Pictet
- BBVA Foundation. (2013)
- CHIPP. (2014)