Daniel Berg (educator)
Daniel Berg (born June 1, 1929) is a scientist, educator and was the fifteenth president of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
He was born on June 1, 1929 in New York City. In 1946, he graduated from Stuyvesant High School and in 1950 graduated from City College of New York with a B.S. in physics and chemistry. He earned M.S. and P.h. D. degrees in physical chemistry from Yale University in 1951 and 1953 respectively. From 1953-1977, he worked at the Westinghouse Electric Corporation, ultimately as technical director. In 1977, he joined Carnegie Mellon University as dean of the Mellon College of Science. In 1981, he became co-provost, along with Richard L. Van Horn.
In 1983, he was appointed vice president of academic affairs and provost of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
In 1984, he was named acting president on the death of the previous president, George Low, and became president of Rensselaer in 1985. He served as president until 1987, and he stayed on at RPI as the Institute Professor of Science and Technology. His research interests include "understanding the relationship of technology and the service sector," as well as "management of technological organization, innovation, policy, manufacturing strategy, robotics, policy issues of research and development in the service sector."
In 1947, he received the Belden Medal for mathematics as an undergraduate at City College of New York. In 1983, he received the Wilbur Cross Medal from the Association of Yale Alumni, awarded to Yale graduate school alumni who have "distinguished achievements in scholarship, teaching, academic administration, and public service." In 2007, he received the Engineering Management Educator of the Year award from the IEEE Engineering Management Society. The award recognizes "outstanding education or education administration contributions to the field of engineering management or a closely related discipline." He is also a member of Tau Beta Pi, Phi Beta Kappa, the National Academy of Engineering, the Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences and is a fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, the New York Academy of Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
| President of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
1984 – 1987
Stanley I. Landgraf
- "Daniel Berg." Marquis Who's Who. Marquis Who's Who, 2008. Reproduced in Biography Resource Center. Farmington Hills, Mich.: Gale, 2008.
- Biography of Daniel Berg
- Carnegie Mellon Leadership: Office of the Provost: Past Provosts Archived 2010-05-28 at the Wayback Machine.
- "RPI Board Ousts Berg, Raps His Management". Albany Times-Union. March 6, 1987. Archived from the original on April 13, 2013.
- Faculty Directory Daniel Berg Professor and Institute Professor
- "City College Gives Diplomas Tonight", New York Times, June 24, 1947
- The Wilbur Cross Medal Recipients by Year Archived 2010-06-16 at the Wayback Machine.
- Daniel Berg awarded 2007 Engineering Management Educator of the Year by IEEE Engineering Management Society Archived 2008-06-04 at the Wayback Machine.