Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Born||10 July 1963|
Birnbaum has been the curator of institutions and exhibitions in many countries, for which he has produced catalogue entries.
- In 1998, Birnbaum became director of Sweden's International Artists Studio Program (IASPIS), a position he held until 2000.
- In 1998, he was co-curator of the 1st MOMENTUM biennale in Moss, Norway, with Lars Bang Larsen and Atle Gerhardsen.
- Between 2001 and 2010, he held the position of Rector at the Städelschule fine arts academy in Frankfurt am Main in Germany. During that time, he also served as director of Portikus, an exhibition space at the Städelschule since 1987.
- From 2002 to 2009, he was a member of the board of the Manifesta biennale in Amsterdam.
- In 2003, he was co-curator of the international section of the 50th Venice Biennale.
- From 2004 to 2007, he was associate curator of the Magasin 3 exhibition space in Stockholm.
- In 2005, he was co-curator of the 1st Moscow Biennale.
- From 2006 to 2008, he was co-curator of Uncertain States of America with Hans Ulrich Obrist and Gunnar B. Kvaran at CCS Bard College, the Serpentine Gallery, the 2nd Moscow Biennale, the Rudolfinum Galerie, and the Astrup Fearnley Museum, among other locations.
- In 2007, he was co-curator of Airs de Paris with Christine Macel at the Centre Pompidou.
- In 2008, he was co-curator of the 3rd Yokohama Triennale with Hu Fang, Akiko Miyake, Hans-Ulrich Obrist, and Beatrix Ruf, and curator of the 2nd Torino Triennale, 50 Moons of Saturn. He was also a member of the Turner Prize jury.
- In 2009, he was the artistic director of the 53rd Venice Biennale.
- In 2010, Birnbaum served on the jury for the first Future Generation Art Prize.
- From 2010 to 2018, Birnbaum was the director of Moderna Museet, the museum of modern art in Stockholm. In 2018, he announced that he would leave his post to head up Acute Art, a company with an interest in creating virtual-reality and augmented-reality works in collaboration with artists.
- Birnbaum was the co-curator of Hilma af Klint: Painting the Unseen with Emma Enderby at the Serpentine Galleries in 2016 and of Hilma af Klint: Possible Worlds with Jochen Volz at the Pinacoteca in São Paulo in 2018. He has been an adjunct board member of the Hilma Af Klint Foundation since 2017.
- Daniel Birnbaum, The Hospitality of Presence: Problems of Otherness in Husserl's Phenomenology, Stockholm: Almqvist & Wiksell International, 1998, 200 p., ISBN 978-91-22-01803-2. A new edition was published ten years later: Daniel Birnbaum, The Hospitality of Presence: Problems of Otherness in Husserl's Phenomenology, Berlin: Sternberg Press, 2008, 278 p., ISBN 978-1-933128-28-3
- Heike Belzer and Daniel Birnbaum, eds., Kunst Lehren – Teaching Art: Städelschule Frankfurt/Main, Cologne: Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, 2007, 376 p., English / German, ISBN 978-3-86560-339-5
- Daniel Birnbaum and Isabelle Graw, eds., Under Pressure: Pictures, Subjects, and the New Spirit of Capitalism, Institut für Kunstkritik series, Berlin: Sternberg Press, 2008, 96 p., ISBN 978-1-933128-27-6
- Daniel Birnbaum and Sven-Olov Wallenstein, Spacing Philosophy: Lyotard and the Idea of the Exhibition, Institut für Kunstkritik series, Berlin: Sternberg Press, 2019, 252 p., ISBN 978-3-95679-388-2
- Filippi, Lavinia. "The Recession Biennale". www.artnet.com. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
- "About". Acute Art. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- Natalia Rachlin (June 12, 2012), In Stockholm, Stretching a Museum's Boundaries The New York Times.
- Thorne, Sam (2009-01-01). "53rd Venice Biennale". Frieze. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Momentum 1998". kunstaspekte.de. 1998. Retrieved 2020-08-22.
- "Astrup Fearnley Museet". www.afmuseet.no. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Airs de Paris | Frieze". Frieze. 2007-09-12. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Yokohama Triennale 2008. Time Crevasse". www.yokohamatriennale.jp. Retrieved 2020-08-22.
- "Torino Triennale 2008: 50 Moons of Saturn. Second edition of the Torino Triennale. Curator: Daniel Birnbaum". Biennial Foundation. 2008-10-17. Retrieved 2020-08-22.
- Carol Vogel (December 10, 2010), Brazilian Artist Wins New $100,000 Prize The New York Times.
- "Future Generation Art Prize 2010". futuregenerationartprize.org. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Daniel Birnbaum Leaves Stockholm's Moderna Museet to Join VR Company Acute Art | Frieze". Frieze. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- Alex Greenberger (July 10, 2018), Daniel Birnbaum Announces Exit from Moderna Museet to Direct VR Company Acute Art ARTnews.
- "Daniel Birnbaum, Director, joins the board of the Hilma af Klint Foundation". www.e-flux.com. Retrieved 2020-08-21.
- "Hilma af Klint: Painting the Unseen". Serpentine Galleries. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
- "Pinacoteca – Hilma af Klint: Mundos Possíveis". pinacoteca.org.br. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
- Schellhammer, Erich P. (2000). "Review of The Hospitality of Presence: Problems of Otherness in Husserl's Phenomenology". The Review of Metaphysics. 54 (1): 131–133. ISSN 0034-6632. JSTOR 20131493.
- "The Hospitality of Presence". Sternberg Press. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
- "kunst lehren teaching art". www.staedelschule.de. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
- "Teaching Art — Kunst Lehren Book Launch - Announcements - Art & Education". www.artandeducation.net. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
- "Under Pressure". Sternberg Press. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
- "Spacing Philosophy". Sternberg Press. Retrieved 2020-08-23.
- Lappalainen, Lars-Erik Hjertström (2020-05-05). "Hidden Exhibitions". Kunstkritikk. Retrieved 2020-08-23.