Daniel Carter (musician)
Carter in concert at Les Gallery Clemente Soto Velez, NYC, February 5, 2005.
|Associated acts||TEST, Other Dimensions In Music, Federico Ughi|
Daniel Carter (born in Wilkinsburg, Pennsylvania) is an American free jazz saxophone, flute, clarinet, and trumpet player active mainly in New York City since the early 1970s. A review of a recent recording describes Carter's timbre as "an almost Lee Konitz-like cool."
Carter is a prolific performer and has recorded or performed with William Parker, Federico Ughi, DJ Logic, The Negatones, Thurston Moore, Yo La Tengo, Soul-Junk, Anne Waldman, Cooper-Moore, Matthew Shipp and scientist/musician Matthew Putman among others. He is a member of the cooperative free jazz groups Test, Other Dimensions In Music, odon, Ghost Moth and Dissipated Face.
In 2007 the Pendu Sound compilation album Getting rid of the glue with Excepter and Daniel Carter was listed as number 70 in Thurston Moore's "Top 80 of 2006". In 2015 the New York Forward Festival was created to celebrate Carter's 70th birthday.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2014)
- Test (Estatic Peace, 1996)
- Ahead (Now Jazz/Ramwong, 1997)
- Test (Aum Fidelity, 1998)
- Live (Ermite, 1998)
- Other Dimensions In Music (Silkheart, 1990)
- Now! (Aum Fidelity, 1998)
- Time Is of the Essence Is Beyond Time (Aum Fidelity, 2000)
- Live at the Sunset (Marge, 2007)
- Kaiso Stories (Silkheart, 2011)
With Federico Ughi
- Listening Group (577 Records, 2018)
- Inside The Studio Vol. One (577 Records, 2018)
- New York United (577 Records, 2018)
- Telepathic Alliances (577 Records, 2017)
- Life Station Mountain Path (577 Records, 2016)
- Extra Room (577 Records, 2015)
- Extra Room Vol. Two (577 Records, 2015)
- Gowanus Recordings (577 Records, 2010)
- People's Resonance (577 Records, 2008)
- Mountain Path (577 Records, 2007)
- Concrete Science (577 Records, 2004)
- Astonishment (577 Records, 2001)
- LIVE! (577 Records, 2017)
- Navajo Sunrise (Rudi Records. 2013)
- The Dream (577 Records, 2006)
With Whit Dickey
- Emergence (Not Two, 2009)
With William Parker
- Painter's Spring (Thirsty Ear, 2000)
With Matthew Shipp
With Reuben Radding
- Luminescence (Aum Fidelity, 2001)
With Sabir Mateen
- Sound on a Sunday (Rai Trade, 2004)
With Hamid Drake
- Bindu (Rogue Art, 2005)
With Matt Lavelle
- Daniel Carter and Matt Lavelle live at Tower Records (Antnimara, 2006)
- Daniel Carter and Matt Lavelle (Spiritual Power, 2004)
- Odon (http://odonnyc.bandcamp.com 2015)
With George Spanos
- Reflections (George Spanos, 2017)
- Eighty-pound Pug : Thoughts (DogAndPanda, 2019)
- "Dusted Reviews: Daniel Carter and Rueben Radding - Luminescence". www.dustedmagazine.com. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Dissipated Face interview". www.psychedelicbabymag.com. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Frenchkiss Records Launches Frenchkiss Label Group". dailyrindblog.com. The Orchard. 2012-05-09. Retrieved 2019-03-17.[permanent dead link]
- Byron Coley; Thurston Moore (March 2007). "Bull Tongue 26". Arthur. Retrieved 2019-03-19.
- "TJD-Online: Login". www.lordisco.com. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Daniel Carter & Matt Lavelle - Blackwood - Live At Tower Records 08/12/06". Discogs. Retrieved 11 August 2018.
- "Matt Lavelle And Daniel Carter - Matt Lavelle And Daniel Carter". Discogs. Retrieved 11 August 2018.