|Daniel J. Cronin|
|DuPage County Board Chairman|
Dec. 1, 2010 – present
|Member of the Illinois Senate
from the 21st district
January 1993 – November 2010
|Born||Nov. 7, 1959
|Alma mater||Northwestern University (B.A.)
Loyola Law School (J.D.)
Daniel J. Cronin is the current DuPage County Board Chairman, serving in the position since winning the November 2010 election. He is an attorney and served in the Illinois General Assembly for nearly 20 years.
Early life, education and career
Daniel J. Cronin grew up in Elmhurst, Ill. He graduated from Immaculate Conception Grade School and Fenwick High School. He earned a bachelor’s degree in economics from Northwestern University and a juris doctor degree from the Loyola University School of Law. He was Assistant State’s Attorney in DuPage County from 1987 to 1989 and served as legal counsel for House of Representatives from 1985 to 1987. He is currently a partner in the law firm of Power & Cronin Ltd. of Oak Brook.
Illinois General Assembly (1991-2010)
Cronin was first elected to the Illinois House of Representatives in 1991 as an advocate for tax relief and smaller government. After one term, Cronin was elected to the Illinois Senate in 1993. There, he pushed legislation to extend property tax caps to homeowners. He sponsored and passed legislation to improve teacher competency and reform Chicago schools. Moved by the “Baby Richard” case of contested adoption, Cronin sponsored new law focusing on best interest of the child. He was known to be a vocal advocate and sponsor of tough, effective law enforcement legislation, including anti-terrorism and truth-in-sentencing laws.
Cronin served on several committees during his time as a state legislator, serving on the Education, Judiciary Civil Law, Pensions and Investments and Legislative Reference Bureau committees, among others.
DuPage County Board Chairman (2010-present)
Cronin was elected DuPage County Board Chairman on Nov. 2, 2010, after receiving nearly 63 percent of the vote. During his time as chairman, Cronin has been instrumental in developing ACT Initiative and Transform Illinois, in addition to focusing on regional issues such as infrastructure, public transit and economic development. He also played a big role in obtaining federal grants to help fund the local share of the Illinois Tollway’s Elgin O’Hare Western Access project.
Cronin won re-election as DuPage County Board Chairman in November 2014, winning 64 percent of the vote. Since being elected in 2010, Cronin has cut the county's budget by more than $30 million.
In 2015, Gov. Bruce Rauner asked Cronin to sit on a statewide task force to study government consolidation and unfunded mandates.
Cronin, an advocate for fiscal accountability and efficient government, spearheaded the development of the DuPage ACT Initiative in 2012. The initiative is a comprehensive county reform program designed to improve efficiency, reduce duplication and encourage resource sharing across county government and its independently administered agencies. In 2011, the County Board undertook an examination of its appointed agencies. These provide a wide array of important community services, including but not limited to fire suppression, sanitary and water services, mosquito abatement, airport administration, housing assistance, election management and street lighting. This examination led to the formation of the ACT Initiative in 2012.
To date, Cronin's efforts have resulted in dissolving the Timberlake Estates Sanitary District, the Fairview Fire Protection District and the DuPage Fair Authority. The ACT Initiative has generated a projected $116 million in taxpayer savings over 20 years through shared services, joint purchasing, benefit reforms and procurement modifications. Cronin's efforts were featured in the 2014 Better Government Association Spotlight on Good Government and the 2014 National Association of Counties Achievement Award for Government Innovation.
Cronin is continuing to push the ACT Initiative in pursuit of larger statewide reforms.
In November 2015, Cronin helped role out Transform Illinois, a statewide coalition that promotes excellence in government efficiency. Cronin came together with the Metropolitan Planning Council, Better Government Association, the Taxpayers' Federation of Illinois, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Illinois Campaign for Political Reform and multiple state legislators to form the group. Transform Illinois is a non-partisan collaboration of public officials, civic leaders and research institutions advocating for local government efficiency.
Cronin has served in numerous leadership roles for community groups, including as the DuPage County Republican County Chairman and a York Township Republican Committeeman.
He also serves on the Illinois State Bar Association, DuPage County Bar Association, The DuPage Marine Corps League, Elmhurst Knights of Columbus, Elmhurst YMCA Board of Directors, Joseph Academy Board of Directors, Community Bank of Elmhurst Board of Directors, Ray Graham Association Board of Directors in Downers Grove, Fenwick High School Board of Directors and the College of DuPage Business Leader Advisory Board.
He is a member of Immaculate Conception Parish.
Accolades and Awards
Cronin has led DuPage County to several accolades. Among them are:
- 2011 Governor's Sustainability Award
- 2012 Conservation Foundation Low Salt Community Award for reducing salt use on roadways
- 2012 Illinois EPA Green Fleet Designation
- 2012 100 Best Fleets Green Fleet Award, Honorable Mention
- 2012 State Electronics Challenge Gold Recognition
- 2013 Green Industry Achievement Award for environmental stewardship
- 2013 State Electronics Challenge Gold Recognition
- 2014 Illinois Governor's Sustainability Award, Honorable Mention
- 2014 Conservation Foundation Low Salt Community Award for reducing salt use on roadways
- 2014 State Electronics Challenge Gold Recognition
- 2014 NACo Innovation in Government for ACT Initiative
- 2014 Campaign for Political Reform Dawn Clark Netsch "Straight Talk" Award for ACT Initiative
- 2014 DuPage Mayors and Managers Intergovernmental Cooperation Award
- 2014 Community Partner Award, Literacy DuPage County
- 2015 NACo Achievement Award for Criminal Justice and Public Safety
Personally, Cronin has received recognition for his service from numerous organizations. His individual honors include:
- Illinois Environmental Council Honor Roll
- Crain’s Chicago Business “Forty Under 40” recognition
- Legislative Leadership Award from the Illinois Vietnam Veterans Leadership Program
- National Federation of Independent Business voting record recognition
- State Chamber of Commerce voting record recognition
- Ray Graham Association Legislative Leadership Award
- Elmhurst Family YMCA Chairman’s Roundtable Award
- DeBoer Committee for Children’s Rights “Hear My Voice” Award
- TLC Camp for Children with Cancer Appreciation Award
- Golden Apple Foundation for Excellence in Education Award
Cronin and his wife, Juliann, have four children: Elizabeth, Sarah, Grace and Dan.
- "DuPage County IL Official Website - Biography of Dan Cronin, County Board Chairman". www.dupageco.org. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "Illinois General Assembly - Senator Biography". www.ilga.gov. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "Illinois General Assembly - Senator's Bills". www.ilga.gov. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "DuPage County IL Official Website - Election Commission Election Results". www.dupageco.org. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "Three new I-290, Elgin-O'Hare ramps opening by Monday's morning commute". Daily Herald. https://plus.google.com/+dailyherald. Retrieved 2015-12-11. External link in
- "County Board Approves 2016 Budget - DuPage County IL". www.dupageco.org. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "Illinois.gov - Illinois Government News Network (IGNN) - Search the News Results". www3.illinois.gov. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "DuPage County IL Official Website - Chairman's ACT Initiative". www.dupageco.org. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "A 'Smart Streamlining' Test Case". Better Government Association. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "DuPage County IL - DuPage County Earns National Award for Innovation in County Management". www.dupageco.org. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "DuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin eyeing statewide implementation of ACT Initiative". mySuburbanLife.com. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- "Transform Illinois focuses on government streamlining". Metropolitan Planning Council. Retrieved 2015-12-11.
- DuPage County ACT Initiative
- Transform Illinois
- Illinois General Assembly - Senator Dan Cronin (R) 21st District official IL Senate website
- Dan Cronin for County Board Chairman official campaign site
- Profile at Illinois State Senate Republicans