||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (February 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
February 21, 1983 |
|Occupation||CEO and Founder, Spotify|
|Net worth||US$ 400 million|
In March 2006, Ek sold the company he founded, Advertigo, to TradeDoubler. The sale of the company, along with his previous work, had made him wealthy enough that he decided to retire, but returned to work a few months later after changing his mind.
Also in 2006, Ek was briefly the CEO of μTorrent, working with μTorrent founder Ludvig Strigeus. This ended when μTorrent was sold to BitTorrent on December 7, 2006. Strigeus would join Ek as a Spotify developer.
In 2006, Daniel Ek and Martin Lorentzon set up Spotify AB in Stockholm, Sweden. Lorentzon had previously worked at TradeDoubler, a company he co-founded. In October 2008, the company launched its legal music streaming service Spotify. Initially, Spotify ran on a peer-to-peer distribution model, similar to uTorrent, but switched to a server-client model in 2014. Daniel Ek currently serves as a CEO of Spotify. In October 2015, Spotify Co-Founder Martin Lorentzon announced he would be stepping down as Chairman and Ek would be taking over alongside his current role as CEO. 
In 2016, Ek married Sofia Levander, his longtime partner, with whom he has two children.
- Will Schmidt (21 Feb 2014). "Happy Birthday Daniel Ek!". Tech.Co. Retrieved 3 Sep 2016.
- Brendan Greeley (14 Jul 2011). "Spotify's Ek Wins Over Music Pirates With Labels' Approval". Bloomberg. Retrieved 3 Sep 2016.
- "Stanford Entrepreneurship Corner : A Playlist for Entrepreneurs - Daniel Ek, Chi-Hua Chien (Spotify)". Retrieved 2012-05-22.
- John Seabrook (24 Nov 2014). "Revenue Streams". The New Yorker. Retrieved 3 Sep 2016.
- Andy (12 Nov 2014). "Spotify Reminded of uTorrent Past After Branding Grooveshark 'Pirates'". Torrent Freak. Retrieved 3 Sep 2016.
- Reuters (24 May 2016). "Spotify Subscriptions Boost Revenue But Operating Loss Widens". Fortune. Retrieved 3 Sep 2016.
- Robert Levine (5 Jun 2015). "Billboard Cover: Spotify CEO Daniel Ek on Taylor Swift, His 'Freemium' Business Model and Why He's Saving the Music Industry". Billboard. Retrieved 3 Sep 2016.
- Janko Roettgers (16 Apr 2014). "Spotify gives up on P2P technology for music streaming". GigaOm. Retrieved 3 Sep 2016.
- "Spotify Information". Retrieved 2009-09-19.
- Lunden, Ingrid. "Spotify co-founder Martin Lorentzon steps down as chairman, CEO Daniel Ek steps up". TechCrunch. Retrieved 2016-10-14.
- "Sunday Times Rich List suggests UK's wealthiest defy recession". BBC News. 2012-04-28. Retrieved 2012-04-28.
- Unity Blott For Mailonline (30 Aug 2016). "Spotify founder marries his girlfriend in a stunning Lake Como ceremony in front of A-list guests including Mark Zuckerberg - and Bruno Mars is the wedding singer". Daily Mail. Retrieved 3 Sep 2016.
|This Swedish business-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|