|Acting Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration|
|Assumed office |
January 7, 2018
|Preceded by||Michael Huerta|
|Deputy Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration|
June 26, 2017 – January 6, 2018
|Preceded by||Victoria Wassmer (acting)|
|Succeeded by||Carl Burleson (acting)|
|Education||United States Air Force Academy (BS)|
|Branch/service||United States Air Force|
|Battles/wars||Persian Gulf War|
Raised in San Diego, Elwell graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in International Affairs from the United States Air Force Academy in 1983. He moved on to Williams Air Force Base where he earned his pilot wings.
Elwell was a Command Pilot for the U.S Air Force and U.S Air Force Reserve. Elwell fought in the Operation Desert Storm in a combat capacity. Elwell eventually reached the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. He retired soon after.
For 16 years, Elwell was a commercial pilot for American Airlines. Elwell also had a role of American Airlines's Managing Director for International and Government Affairs. He also served served as a legislative fellow for the late Senator Ted Stevens. While working for Senator Stevens, Elwell was part of other aviation safety programs in Alaska, including the Capstone Program in the Yukon–Kuskokwim Delta, as well as the installation of real-time weather cameras at remote airfields and mountain passes.
Elwell was named Vice President of the Aerospace Industries Association in 2008 where he stayed until 2013. Elwell was a civil aerospace manufacturer representative in this capacity where he was an advocate for various companies.
Federal Aviation Administration
Elwell was named acting Administrator of the FAA upon the conclusion of the previous Administrator, Michael Huerta. Under Huerta, from 2006 to 2008, Elwell worked for the FAA Assistant Administrator for Policy, Planning, and Environment. President Donald Trump appointed Elwell FAA Deputy Administrator in June 2017.
- Polaris (PDF). XXV. Colorado Springs, Colorado: United States Air Force Academy. 1983. p. 414. Retrieved 19 March 2019.
- "Deputy FAA Administrator Dan Elwell To Serve as Acting FAA Administrator". January 6, 2018.
- "Key Officials - Daniel K. Elwell". January 10, 2018.
- "The Swamp earns its wings: Airline lobbyist takes control of the FAA". Washington Examiner. Washington Examiner. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "Key Addition Announced For Senior FAA Political Position: Great Pick". June 13, 2017.
- "Transportation Secretary Chao names Daniel Elwell acting FAA administrator". Transportation Today. Transportation Today. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
- "Elwell Appointed FAA Deputy Administrator". June 28, 2017.
- "Former airline lobbyist to take over for outgoing FAA chief". The Hill. The Hill. Retrieved 5 November 2018.
| Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration