Daniel Hand High School
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Daniel Hand High School|
|Motto||PRIDE- Perseverance, Respect, Integrity, Dedication, Enthusiasm|
|Number of students||1,276|
|Student to teacher ratio||11:1|
|Color(s)||Black and Gold|
|Athletics conference||Southern Connecticut Conference (SCC)|
Daniel Hand High School is a four-year comprehensive public high school in Madison, Connecticut, US serving grades 9-12.
The Daniel Hand High School expects students to be competent in communication, understand use of technology, and develop critical thinking, problem solving, and creativity.
Special Academic and Community Offerings
DHHS offers several advanced and non-traditional educational programs.
Daniel Hand is a member of the Southern Connecticut Conference and the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference, mostly at the Class L level of play. Most athletics are played at the High School/Polson Middle School complex; Football is played at Strong Field at the Surf Club, and boys' and girls' Ice Hockey is played at Northford Ice Pavilion. The Tigers' most successful sports include:
- Football, 11 time State Champions
- Gymnastics, which recently won their 12th State Championship.
- Boys' Ice Hockey, DII Champions in 2006 and 2014
- Field Hockey, 2014 State Champions
- Boys' and Girls' Lacrosse, 2015 Class M Finalists
Courses offered at DHHS
- Advanced Placement Courses
- University Of Connecticut Cooperative Program
- AP English
- AP European History/Western Civilization
- AP Calculus
- AP Chemistry
- AP Physics
- Discrete Mathematics
- Human Development and Family Studies
- A Better Chance (A.B.C. Program) - part of the national ABC program for highly motivated, academically able students from disadvantaged educational areas.
- Magnet School Programs - Daniel Hand High School students may participate in partial day programs at the Cooperative Arts & Humanities High School in New Haven. High School in the Community offers a full-time program for a selective group of students.
- Tech Prep Program - a nationally recognized program that enables students to receive community college credit.
- Wesleyan University High School Scholars Program - a cooperative Honors Program for qualified students (at Wesleyan).
- Yale-New Haven Area High School Program - qualified students may register for undergraduate courses at Yale University.
- Joe Trapani, basketball player
- Streeter Seidell, 2001 graduate. Standup comedian and writer for Saturday Night Live.