This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Daniel Hensel (born 17 April 1978, in Buedingen) is a German composer, VJ, musicologist and music theorist. He is noted as a composer of expressive works of all musical genre's whose works can be dedicated to ″a thread of a tradition leading from Schubert via Mahler to Hensel's teacher Schedl in presence.[...]“  His style contains all kinds of material, such as traditional tonal or harmonic as well as noise and electronic material. His works are published by Musikverlag Doblinger in Vienna.
Life and work
Hensel is a descendant from a family of musicians of light and rock music. His maternal family lives in the city of Buedingen since 1594. Hensel began his studies of composition in 1995 as a student of the Austrian composer Gerhard Schedl at Dr. Hoch's Konservatorium. From 1999 on he studied composition with Heinz Winbeck in Würzburg, and later with Manfred Trojahn in Düsseldorf  where he graduated with distinction. Post graduate studies with Michael Obst followed at the Hochschule für Musik "Franz Liszt", Weimar. He concluded his studies in musical composition in Heinz Winbeck's masterclass. In 2009 Hensel began to study musicology with Peter Ackermann and wrote a dissertation on the music of Gerhard Schedl. Hensel obtained his doctorate with "magna cum laude" on 13 July 2011.
Hensel's music was played by artists such as Carin Levine  and Markus Bellheim, the Ensemble Modern, the Staatsorchester Stuttgart and conductors such as Manfred Honeck. Several pieces were composed on behalf of festivals such as the A•DEvantgarde-Festival, young-euro.classic or Kasseler Musiktage or institutions such as the Carl Orff Center Munich or Staatstheater Stuttgart and broadcast by several German radio stations.
In 2007, his piece "Refexions for orchestra" was the official German musical-contribution for the handover of the EU-council presidency from Germany to Portugal. The piece was played by the young sound forum of central Europe and was conducted by Sebastian Weigle. In 2008 Manfred Honeck conducted Hensels "Chant of consecrated life" op. 18 as an "ouverture" to the 2. Symphony of Gustav Mahler. In 2009 Hensel´s arrangements of the 45th Symphony by Joseph Haydn and the 8th Symphony by Ludwig van Beethoven were played by the Young Euro Classic-China-Festivalorchestra and conducted by Muhai Tang in various Chinese cities like Shanghai and Tianjin. His string sixtet "Klaerchen´s Song" op.20 had its W.P. by the Ensemble Modern under Jonathan Stockhammer and was played again by the Austrian ensemble lux in the Arnold Schönberg Center Vienna in December 2010.
In the same year his dissertation concerning the music of Gerhard Schedl  was published and in 2012 he edited Emanuel Aloys Förster´s basso continuo school including Karl Weigl´s biography on Förster.
Hensel is a member of the German composers association, the Austrian composers association, the Austrian society of contemporary music, the association of musicology, the assoziation of music theory and the GEMA.
Since 2013 Hensel is also performing visual arts combined with his electronic pieces.
In 2016 he obtained his post doctoral lecturer's qualification in systematical musicology and has become a member of the philosophical faculty of Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg. The title of the habilitation treatise is: "Modus, Klang- und Zeitgestaltung in Motetten Orlando di Lassos und Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrinas". (Mode, time-management and sounddesign in motets by Orlando di Lasso and Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina) for which the software-developer Ingo Jache and Hensel developed the music analyzing Software PALESTRiNIZER.
Op.17 Concerto for piano and orchestra 2222\2\2\2\1\Timp\2Perc.\Hf\Cel\ Strings 10\8\6\4\2 WP.:06.10.08 8:00 p.m., Hochschule fuer Musik Wuerzburg
Op.18 "Chant of consecrated life", for big orchestra, on behalf of the state opera Stuttgart, dedicated to Prof. Heinz Winbeck, WP.: 12.07.08, Stuttgart, Liederhalle, state orchestra of Stuttgart, Manfred Honeck, Conductor
Op.20 Stringsextet "Klärchen´s Song", dedicated to Mr. Dr. Dieter Rexroth, W.P. 11.07.09, Alte Brüderkirche Kassel, by Ensemble Modern and Jonathan Stockhammer available at Musikverlag Doblinger, Vienna
Op.21 "Echoes and chants from the interior", dedicated to Rafal Zambrzycki-Payne
Op.22 Fleur du mal, a dramatic aria for Tenor and big orchestra, dedicated to maestro Manfred Honeck
Op.23 "Cardillac-Suite", music for the silent movie "Cardillac-Suite" for Edgar Reitz´ ″Cardillac-Suite“, for Cl\Kl\Hrn\Trp\3Perc\Hrp\Cel\2Vl\2Vla\2Vcl\Cb
Op.24, No.1: Study No.1, Music for Computers, realized with the software Csound.
Op.24, No.2: Study No.2, Music for Computers, realized with the software Csound.
Op.25 "Duo for Violin and Violocello", "Selfdestruction and swan song", WP: 04.19.2013, Alte Schmiede Vienna, by Marianna Oczkowska and Tomasz Skweres, available at Musikverlag Doblinger, Wien-München
Op.28 „The apparent death“, from „Des Knaben Wunderhorn“, for Fl., Cl., Pf., Sopran, Vl. and Vcl, on behalf of the ÖGZM, WP: 6.23.16 at Österreichischen Kulturforum at the Austrian embassy in Berlin by Ensemble Platypus
Study No.1 sonic Visualization of op.24 No.1
Study No.1 picturization as a videoanimation of op.24. No.1
Study No.2 picturization as a videoanimation of op.24. No.2
- Wilhelm Friedemann Bach. Epigone oder Originalgenie, verquere Erscheinung oder großer Komponist?, Stuttgart: ibidem 2011, ISBN 978-3-8382-0178-8 (in German)
- Von der Einheit in der Vielfalt oder der Lust am Subjektiven: Die Musik Gerhard Schedls, dargestellt an seiner Instrumentalmusik, Stuttgart: ibidem 2011, ISBN 978-3-8382-0278-5 (in German)
- Anleitung zum General-Bass (1805), einschließlich der Biographie: Karl Weigl: Emanuel Aloys Förster (1913), Hensel, Daniel (Ed.), Stuttgart ibidem 2012, ISBN 978-3-8382-0378-2 (in German)
- "Simon Sechter, seine Fundamentalbass-Theorie und ihre Auswirkungen auf die musikalische Konstruktion im Werk Anton Bruckners", in: Bruckner-Jahrbuch 2011 - 2014, hrg. von Andreas Lindner und Klaus Petermayr, Linz 2015, ISBN 978-3902681300. (in German)
- Program text quotated on Hensel´s personal website
- String sixtet at Doblinger publishing
- Doblinger publishing
- Biography on the website of the young sound forum of central europe
- Family tree on Hensel´s personal website
- Biography on the website of the young sound forum of central europe
- Hensel´s dissertation project in musicology online by School of Music, Indiana University Hensel, Daniel / Die Musik Gerhard Schedls, von der Einheit in der Vielfalt und der Lust am Subjektiven. musicology online by School of Music, Indiana University
- Curriculum vitae on Hensel's personal website
- Carin Levine on her personal website
- music information center austria
- pressinformation on the concert
- Brochure concerning the China concert program(in German)  and details (in English)
- Hensels record of the German department for foreign affairs, concerning the tour through China 
- Arnold Schoenberg Center
- Hensel, Daniel
- ibidem publishing company
- Austrian association of contemporary music
- association of music theory
- Daniel Hensel's youtube-Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsHwp-iYJgUtq9T6bELNh8g?feature=watch
-  faculty staff of Martin Luther University of Halle-Wittenberg
-  Habilitation treatise
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daniel Hensel.|
- Literature by and about Daniel Hensel in the German National Library catalogue
- Hensel's personal website (in English)
- Hensel Musikverlag Doblinger (in German)
- Hensel, Daniel German composers association (in German)
- Hensel in music information center Austria (in English)
- Hensel's curriculum vitae at young sound forum of central Europe (in English)
- Daniel Hensel Klassika (in German)