Daniel Hope (violinist)
Daniel Hope (born 17 August 1973, Durban, South Africa) is a British-Irish classical violinist.
Early life and education
Hope is of Jewish German descent, as his grandparents, formerly from Berlin, escaped Nazism. His father is the novelist Christopher Hope, FRSL, and his mother Eleanor Hope worked as an assistant to Yehudi Menuhin. At age six months, his family moved from South Africa to London, because of his father's anti-apartheid views. In the UK Hope was educated at Highgate School and studied at the Yehudi Menuhin School in Stoke d'Abernon. In 2011 he was appointed Visiting Professor in Violin by the Royal Academy of Music, where he had studied under Zakhar Bron and gained a diploma (DipRAM) and a fellowship (FRAM).
Hope became the violinist of the Beaux Arts Trio in 2002. His burgeoning career led to his decision to leave the Beaux Arts Trio, which in turn led to the decision to disband the ensemble. The Beaux Arts Trio, with Hope as the final violinist in the history of the ensemble, gave its final concerts in August 2008.
Hope has served as an associate artistic director of the Savannah Music Festival. In April 2015 he was named the new music director of the Zurich Chamber Orchestra, effective in 2016. On 16 March 2018, at the conclusion of a joint performance by the Zurich Chamber Orchestra and New Century Chamber Orchestra at which he served as concertmaster, Hope was announced as the latter ensemble's new music and artistic director.
Hope plays the 1737 Guarneri "ex-Lipinski" violin. He presented the 2013 documentary film The Secrets of the Violin, which explored the history of violin making from Amati, Stradivari and Guarneri to modern makers like Samuel Zygmuntowicz.
Hope is married in his second marriage to the painter Silvana Kaiser. The couple lived in Vienna and moved to Berlin in 2016.
- 2004: ECHO Klassik: Newcomer of the Year (Violin Concertos – Alban Berg, Benjamin Britten)
- 2006: ECHO Klassik: Chamber Music Recording of the Year (East Meets West)
- 2006: ECHO Klassik: Musician of the Year (Dmitri Schostakovitsch, Violin Concertos 1 & 2)
- 2008: ECHO Klassik: Concert Recording of the Year (Mendelssohn (with Chamber Orchestra of Europe, conductor Thomas Hengelbrock))
- 2009: ECHO Klassik: Concert Recording of the year (Vivaldi)
- 2013: ECHO Klassik: Classic without Borders (Recomposed by Max Richter)
- 2017: ECHO Klassik: Classic without Borders (For Seasons)
- 2017: Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany for his merits in the musical constitution of commemorative culture
- "Backstage with Daniel Hope", Limelight, March 2015, p. 24
- Christopher Hope (7 August 2009). "My son, the violinist". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Kate Connolly (27 September 2007). "'Dear Daniel, that was enchanting'". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Hughes, Patrick (1988). Davies, Ian (ed.). Highgate School Register 1833-1988 (7th ed.). p. 430.
- Daniel Hope (29 March 2016). "My mentor Yehudi Menuhin: 'I can still hear his beautiful sound'". The Guardian. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- James R. Oestreich (5 April 2008). "A Trio Winds Down, a Circle Closes, and Musicians Plan to Go On". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Allan Kozinn (8 April 2008). "A Group Says Goodbye to Its New York Fans". The New York Times. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Tom Huizenga (19 August 2008). "Beaux Arts Trio Bids Farewell At Tanglewood". National Public Radio. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- "Daniel Hope to replace Sir Roger Norrington in Zurich". Gramophone. 28 April 2015. Retrieved 4 May 2015.
- Hope calls it "1742".
- Stephen Pritchard (12 March 2011). "Daniel Hope: The Romantic Violinist: A Celebration of Joseph Joachim – review". The Observer. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Fiona Maddocks (3 April 2016). "My Tribute to Yehudi Menuhin CD review – Daniel Hope's loving homage". The Observer. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Fisher, Luke James (28 April 2016). "Daniel Hope and Tamina Kallert set to host Eurovision Young Musicians 2016". youngmusicians.tv. European Broadcasting Union. Retrieved 24 August 2016.
- "Star-Geiger Daniel Hope (44) erklärt uns die klassische Musik – Wann darf ich klatschen?" by Flavia Schlittler, Blick, 5 November 2017 (in German)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daniel Hope.|
| Music Director, Zurich Chamber Orchestra