|Full name||Daniel Iuga|
|Born||November 13, 1945|
Târgu Ocna, Romania
|Height||168 cm (5 ft 6 in)|
|Weight||73 kg (161 lb)|
|Club||CS Dinamo București|
|Coached by||Viorel Maciu (1964–72)|
Stefan Petrescu (1972–80)
Daniel "Dan" Iuga (born November 13, 1945) is a retired Romanian-American pistol shooter and coach. He competed for Romania in the mixed free pistol 50 m event at the 1972, 1976 and 1980 Olympics and won a silver medal in 1972.
As a teenager Iuga played football and was a keen skier and kayaker, placing second in the 500 m kayak singles at the 1961 National Junior Championships. He took up sport shooting only in 1964. The same year he won a national junior title, and in 1971 set his first national record. At the 1974 World Championships he won an individual gold and a team bronze medal. He retired from competitions after the 1980 Olympics and was appointed as a national pistol shooting coach. In 1981 he defected to West Germany while giving an invited lecture there, and for 1.5 years worked as a consultant at a gun factory in Ulm. In 1983 he immigrated to the United States, with his wife Nina and daughters Laura (born c. 1975) and Ileana (born c. 1976) joining him there in April 1985. In the U.S. Iuga coached the national pistol shooting team starting in late 1983 and resigning in April 1992. In this capacity he attended the 1984 and 1988 Olympics and 1991 Pan American Games. In 1993 he went out of retirement and in 1995 won a U.S. national title. The same year he won two individual medals at the Pan American Games. He retired for good in 1999.
- Dan Iuga. Romanian Olympic Committee
- "Dan Iuga". sports-reference. Retrieved July 8, 2012.
- Fuga de Ceauşescu l-a şters din istorie. Povestea lui Dan Iuga, vicecampionul olimpic la tir. alinhuiu.ro (January 29, 2016)
- Glenna Whitley (August 19, 2004) The Shootist. Dallas Observer
- Larry Hall (May 16, 1992) McNally's Sure-Fire Approach to Games : Shooting: He missed in the Los Angeles and Seoul Games in pistol, but hopes to return for third Olympics. Los Angeles Times
- U.S. Shooting Team Officials List. usashooting.org
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dan Iuga.|
- Dan Iuga at the International Olympic Committee
- Dan Iuga at the Comitetul Olimpic și Sportiv Român (in Romanian)
- Dan Iuga at Olympics at Sports-Reference.com
|This biographical article relating to sport shooting in Romania is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Romanian Olympic medalist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|