Daniel K. Riskin
|Daniel K. Riskin|
Daniel K. Riskin
1st January, 1975|
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
University of Alberta|
|Occupation||Evolutionary Biologist, Television Personality and Producer|
|Known for||Hosting Daily Planet|
Early life and education
He was born and raised in Edmonton, Alberta and currently lives in Toronto, Ontario. He received a BSc in zoology from the University of Alberta, an MSc in biology from York University, and a PhD in zoology from Cornell University. He also completed post-doctoral studies at Boston University and Brown University.
During high school, Riskin read a book called Just Bats by M. Brock Fenton. The book inspired him, so he contacted Fenton, then a professor at York University, and told him that he would like to meet him. Fenton invited him to come out to join his lab. Within a few months, Dan was catching bats in Costa Rica.
Riskin has studied bats in Costa Rica, United States, Canada, Anguilla, France, Israel, Australia, New Zealand, Trinidad, Ecuador, South Africa and Madagascar and has filmed in United States, Morocco, England, China and Germany. He has authored or co-authored more than 20 papers.
After publishing a scientific paper about running vampire bats in 2005, Riskin was interviewed on Discovery Canada’s flagship daily science show, Daily Planet, by then-host Natasha Stillwell. Years later, Riskin joined the show as the replacement for long-time host Jay Ingram.
To promote that show, Riskin has appeared on The Dr. Oz Show (2009), The Tonight Show with Jay Leno (2010), and several times on The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson (2010–2014). Riskin has also appeared on the shows Evolve (2008) and Bedbug Apocalypse (2011). In 2010, Riskin became the co-host of Daily Planet, on Discovery Channel Canada with Ziya Tong.
Although Riskin now works full-time in television, he still dabbles in bat research. On one of his first segments on Daily Planet, he filmed in China to look for the fishing bat which catches fish with its feet.
- Evolve – Expert (2008)
- Monsters Inside Me – Expert (2009–present)
- Bedbug Apocalypse – Expert (2011)
- Human Nature – Host (2012)
- Daily Planet – Co-Host (2011–present)
Riskin is married to scientist Shelby H. Riskin. They have three children, Sam, born in 2011, and twins, Linnea and Wallace, born in 2014.
- Riskin, Daniel K. "My Science Research". Noctilio. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Ryan, Andrew (August 15, 2011). "A good time to be a geek, and to be Daily Planet's Dan Riskin". The Globe and Mail. Phillip Crawley. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "Dan Riskin Bio". Monsters Inside Me Season 2 – Animal Planet – Press Kit. Discovery Channel. Archived from the original on July 26, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Riskin, Daniel K. (May 29, 2014). "Daniel K. Riskin – Curriculum Vitae" (PDF). pp. 3–4. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- "York grad lands on 'Daily Planet'". York University. November 1, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2014.
- Riskin, Dan (2014). Mother Nature is Trying to Kill You: A Lively Tour Through the Dark Side of the Natural World. New York: Touchstone Books. ISBN 1476707545.