Daniel Merson Kammen is a Distinguished Professor of Energy in the Energy and Resources Group at the University of California, Berkeley and a former Science Envoy for the State Department. He holds a dual appointment at the University's Energy and Resources Group (part of the College of Natural Resources) and the Goldman School of Public Policy. He is also a coordinating lead author for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which won the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize for their report, Climate Change 2007, assessing man-made global warming. Kammen was elected a permanent fellow of the African Academy of Sciences in 1998 and, in 2007, received the Distinguished Citizen Award from the Commonwealth Club of California.
In 2016, he was selected as a U.S. Science Envoy by the United States State Department. He resigned from this position in 2017, citing what he believed to be President Trump's failure to denounce white supremacists and neo-nazis. His August 23, 2017, resignation letter went viral, as netizens noticed that the first letter of each paragraph spelled out I-M-P-E-A-C-H.
Early life and education
Originally from Ithaca, New York, Kammen is the son of Pulitzer Prize-winning historian and Cornell University professor Michael Kammen. He received his bachelor's degree in physics from Cornell University and his master's degree and PhD in physics from Harvard University. As a postdoctoral researcher at Caltech, Kammen began to transition to energy research, with a focus on the role of energy in developing economies.
- Al Gore
- Amory Lovins
- Benjamin K. Sovacool
- Hermann Scheer
- John A. "Skip" Laitner
- Lee Schipper
- Mark Z. Jacobson
- Renewable energy commercialization
- Tom Steyer
- "State Department : Announcement of U.S. Science Envoys".
- "Prominent UC professor resigns post in Trump administration". The Sacramento Bee. August 23, 2017.
- "Daniel M. Kammen - Copenhagen Climate Council". Copenhagen Climate Council. Archived from the original on 2009-01-05. Retrieved 2010-03-04.
- Kessler, Richard A. (2010-09-10). "World Bank names California professor as clean energy chief". ReCharge. NHST Media Group. Retrieved 2010-09-11.
- "Announcement of U.S. Science Envoys". United States Department of State. February 26, 2016. Retrieved August 24, 2017.
- Amy B Wang (August 23, 2017). "Trump's science envoy quits in scathing letter with an embedded message: I-M-P-E-A-C-H". The Washington Post.
- Schudel, Matt (December 4, 2013). "Michael Kammen, Pulitzer-winning historian, dies at 77". The Washington Post. Retrieved November 15, 2014.
- Kammen, Daniel. "Kammen CV" (PDF). Retrieved May 26, 2015.
- Raphael, Chris. "Dan Kammen's race against climate change". Retrieved April 6, 2018.
- Official website at the University of California
- Daniel Kammen publications indexed by Google Scholar
|This article about an American scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|