Daniel Leo (mobster)
Early life and career
Leo was once a member of the notorious East Harlem Purple Gang in the 1970s and he is also known as "Daniel Leonetti" and "Daniel Leonardo" (the Federal Bureau of Prisons has his name as "Danny Leo").
Rise in the Genovese family
Before his imprisonment, Leo lived in a luxurious manor in Rockleigh, New Jersey and was a suspected drug trafficker during his earlier years as a lower soldier in the Genovese crime family.
On June 13, 1980, Leo was indicted for refusing to answer grand jury questions in regards to the murder of 18-year-old Maurice Anzisi. Anzisi and his girlfriend were murdered in 1978 in the Bronx.
Leo was once the president at a company called Elite Ready Mix. Allegedly promoted to captain under the regime of Vincent "Chin" Gigante in the late 1980s or early 1990s, establishing a high position in the family with Gigante's top associates Dominick "Quiet Dom" Cirillo, James "Little Jimmy" Ida and Louis "Bobby" Manna. After living a very low-profile life as a faction-leader in New Jersey.
Indictment and prison
In May 2007, Leo was one of many Genovese crime family members indicted on federal loansharking and extortion charges. In early 2008, Leo pleaded guilty to racketeering and loansharking. He was sentenced to 5 years in prison. His projected release date was October 7, 2011, but on January 10, 2010, he pleaded guilty to racketeering charges and faced up to 40 years in prison. In March 2010, he was sentenced to an additional 18 months in prison and fined $1.3 million. Whether he still maintains the position of boss/acting boss while in prison remains unknown, because there are other candidates who are out of prison such as former street boss and Manhattan faction leader Liborio Bellomo. Leo was serving his time at the low security facility at Federal Correctional Complex, Coleman in Florida, but has since been released into community corrections in Miami. He was released on January 25, 2013.
- "The City: Silence Before Jury Brings Indictment". New York times. July 13, 1980. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- "The City; Young Couple Slain Near Orchard Beach". New York Times. November 25, 1978. Retrieved 3 July 2015.
- Capeci, Jerry. The New York Sun: Meet the Genovese Crime Family's New Boss (November 30, 2006) The New York Sun
- Acting Boss of Genovese Crime Family Pleads Guilty in Manhattan Federal Court to Racketeering Offenses (January 27, 2010)
- United States Attorney Southern District of New York. "Former Acting Boss of Genovese Crime Family Sentenced in Manhattan Federal Court to 18 Additional Months in Prison" (March 23, 2010)
- "Charges against mob boss show Mafia alive and well in New York", May 31, 2007
- Bautista, Justo. "Reputed acting crime boss pleads guilty to racketeering charges" (January 27, 2010) North Jersey.com
- Federal Bureau of Prisons Inmate Locator: Danny Leo
|Genovese crime family