McCutchen with the Pittsburgh Pirates in 2011
September 26, 1982 |
|August 31, 2009, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||4.81|
Daniel Thomas McCutchen (born September 26, 1982) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is currently a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Texas Rangers.
McCutchen attended Norman High School in Norman, Oklahoma. He then attended the University of Central Oklahoma and Grayson County College before being selected by the New York Yankees in the 13th round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. However, McCutchen chose to attend the University of Oklahoma. His first appearance for Oklahoma was February 21, 2004 against Southeast Missouri State University. He was drafted by the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the 29th round of the 2004 Major League Baseball Draft, but did not sign.
In 2005, McCutchen pitched 84 innings and led the Sooners with 84 strikeouts. He was drafted by the St. Louis Cardinals in the 12th round of the 2005 Major League Baseball Draft, but did not sign. He pitched for the Yarmouth–Dennis Red Sox of the Cape Cod League in 2004 and 2005. McCutchen pitched 148 2/3 innings for the Sooners in 2006.
New York Yankees
McCutchen was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 13th round (404th overall) of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft. On July 26, 2008, McCutchen was traded to the Pittsburgh Pirates with Ross Ohlendorf, Jeff Karstens, and José Tábata from the Yankees in exchange for Xavier Nady and Dámaso Marte.
McCutchen was called up to the Pirates to make his major league debut on Monday, August 31, 2009. In his debut he pitched 6 innings and gave up 3 earned runs while striking out 5 and walking 2. On the second pitch of his career, he gave up a home run to Drew Stubbs. In his first Major League at-bat, McCutchen hit an RBI single off Cincinnati Reds pitcher Kip Wells. He spent the vast majority of the 2009 season with the Indianapolis Indians, but in 2010, McCutchen began the season in the Pirates' starting rotation, beating out fellow righty, Kevin Hart. In August 2010, McCutchen was moved to the bullpen for the Pirates. In February 2012, McCutchen switched to uniform number 25, as his old number, 34, was traded to starter A.J. Burnett, in exchange for Burnett setting up a college fund for his daughter. In November 2012, McCutchen elected free agency.
In November 2012, McCutchen signed with the Baltimore Orioles. On April 6, 2013, it was announced that McCutchen was suspended for violating the league's drug policy. He tested positive for the steroids Methenolone and a metabolite of Trenbolone.
Chicago White Sox
San Diego Padres
- Perrotto, John (March 11, 2009). "OU connection: Daniel McCutchen, manager share Oklahoma background". Times Observer. Retrieved April 15, 2014. (subscription required (. ))
- "Daniel McCutchen, RHP". Baseball America. Retrieved 15 April 2014.
- "Oklahoma Sweeps Doubleheader Against SE Missouri State". University of Oklahoma. February 21, 2004. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- MacPherson, Brian (August 10, 2004). "Red Sox slug way to 9-1 Win in Series Opener". Cap Cod Baseball League. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "McCutchen hurls Y-D to victory". Cape Cod Times. July 29, 2005. Archived from the original on April 16, 2014. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Rogers, Kendall (October 3, 2006). "Sooners hope to take next step". Rivals.com. Archived from the original on April 16, 2014. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- "Yanks acquire Nady, Marte from Bucs for 4 minor league prospects". SI.com. July 26, 2008. Retrieved July 26, 2008.
- "Daniel McCutchen will debut Monday". Pittsburgh Tribune. August 30, 2009. Retrieved August 30, 2009.
- Langosch, Jennifer (March 23, 2010). "Pirates select McCutchen as fifth starter". MLB.com. Retrieved April 5, 2014.
- "Pirates' Burnett gets his number, teammate gets college fund". Sporting News. February 27, 2012. Retrieved April 5, 2014.
- Adams, Steve (November 12, 2012). "Orioles Sign McCutchen, Meyer; Rangers Sign Simons".
- Connolly, Dan. "Orioles minor leaguer Daniel McCutchen suspended for banned substance". Baltimore Sun. Retrieved April 6, 2013.
- Fraley, Gerry (December 19, 2013). "Texas Rangers add veteran pitcher with steroid history". Dallas Morning News. Retrieved April 2, 2014.
- "Rangers designate McCutchen to make room for Lewis". ESPN.com. April 14, 2014. Retrieved April 15, 2014.
- Baer, Bill (June 27, 2014). "White Sox sign Daniel McCutchen to a minor league contract". Hardball Talk. Retrieved June 29, 2014.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daniel McCutchen.|