This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (June 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Merrett in March 2017
|Full name||Daniel Merrett|
|Nickname(s)||Big Sauce, Strawbs, Rodge|
|Date of birth||12 December 1984|
|Place of birth||Adelaide, South Australia, Australia|
|Original team(s)||Southport (QAFL)|
|Draft||No. 30, 2002 national draft|
|Height||195 cm (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||103 kg (227 lb)|
(women's backline coach)
|2003–2016||Brisbane Lions||200 (70)|
1 Playing statistics correct to the end of 2016.
|Sources: AFL Tables, AustralianFootball.com|
Merrett was born in Adelaide, but moved to the Gold Coast with his family at a young age. A talented schoolboy rugby player for Benowa State High School, he was identified as a potential Australian rules footballer by AFL Queensland junior development scouts due to his imposing frame and ball-handling skills, and was groomed as a key forward with the Southport Sharks. He was recruited by the Brisbane Lions with the number 30 draft pick in the 2002 AFL Draft but took several years to develop sufficiently to make his debut in Round 2, 2005 against Port Adelaide.
Merrett is well known for his spoils and long handballs.
In August 2016, he announced he would retire from the AFL at the end of the season.
Daniel Merrett used to play as a full forward, centre half forward or half forward flank in his early career but now he regularly plays as a fullback. He was the defender with the most spoils in the 2007 season.
|Totals||Averages (per game)|
- Blucher, Peter (24 August 2016). "Dan Merrett: 200 over and out". AFL Queensland. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- Niall, Jake (16 August 2016). "Brisbane Lions defender Daniel Merrett announces his retirement from AFL". Fox Sports (Australia). News Corp Australia. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "Daniel Merrett Stats". AFL Tables. Retrieved 6 November 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daniel Merrett.|
- Daniel Merrett's profile on the official website of the Brisbane Lions
- Daniel Merrett's playing statistics from AFL Tables
|This Australian rules football biography of a person born in the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|