February 9, 1968 |
Portsmouth, Virginia, United States
|Alma mater||Rutgers University-Camden|
|Genre||Fiction, non-fiction, poetry|
Nester was raised in Maple Shade Township, New Jersey. He attended high school at Camden Catholic High School in Cherry Hill, New Jersey, and college at Rutgers University-Camden. He is currently an Assistant Professor of English at The College of Saint Rose, in Albany, New York, where he also curates the popular Frequency North reading series.
Nester is the author of two books about the musical group Queen, and his obsession with them: God Save My Queen: A Tribute and God Save My Queen II: The Show Must Go On. His other nonfiction work has appeared in numerous anthologies on gaming, poetry, and rock and roll.
His first book of poetry is The History of My World Tonight. His poetry has appeared in jubilat, Crazyhorse, Open City, Slope, Spoon River Poetry Review, Best American Poetry 2003, Poets & Writers, Time Out New York, and Bookslut.
Editing and publishing
Nester published and edited the now-defunct online journal Unpleasant Event Schedule, and served as Assistant Web Editor for Sestinas for McSweeney’s. In the past he has edited for La Petite Zine, Ducky and Painted Bride Quarterly. He also served as editor and wrote the foreword to Words In Your Face: A Guided Tour Through Twenty Years of the New York City Poetry Slam Movement."
- Friedman, Sally (January 14, 2013). "OPINION: Sorry for not saying, 'sorry'". Princeton Packet. Retrieved February 3, 2013. "In a recent issue of n+1 Magazine, a forum for social and political commentary, former Maple Shade resident/writer Daniel Nester reflected on that infamous incident."
- "Site Map - The College of Saint Rose". strose.edu. Archived from the original on 2008-05-13.
- "Site Map - The College of Saint Rose". strose.edu. Archived from the original on 2008-05-16.
- Nester, Daniel. (2003). God Save My Queen: A Tribute. Soft Skull Press, 140. ISBN 978-1-887128-27-8.
- Nester, Daniel. (2004). God Save My Queen II: The Show Must Go On. Soft Skull Press, 140. ISBN 978-1-932360-51-6.
- Nester, Daniel. (2006). The History of My World Tonight. BlazeVOX Books, 140. ISBN 978-1-934289-02-0.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2008-02-20. Retrieved 2008-02-24.
- Nester, Daniel. "Confessions of a Sestinas Editor." Poets & Writers. January/February 2005. Retrieved on 2009-03-17.
- Aptowicz, Cristin O'Keefe. (2008). Words in Your Face: A Guided Tour Through Twenty Years of the New York City Poetry Slam. New York City: Soft Skull Press, 288. ISBN 1-933368-82-9.