Daniel Newman (academic)
|Born||Daniel Lawrence Newman|
|Occupation||Writer, professor, University of Durham|
|Notable awards||Republic of Tunisia International Prize for Islamic Studies|
Daniel Lawrence Newman (born 1963) is a British writer, scholar and translator of Arabic literature. Newman is currently the head of the Arabic department at the University of Durham and Director of the MA programme in English-Arabic Translation and Interpreting. He serves as a special advisor to the Islamic Criminal Justice Project at the Centre for Criminal Law & Justice, Durham Law School, and served as a member of council at the British Society for Middle Eastern Studies from 2008-2012.
Newman received his doctorate from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London.
Newman’s research in Arabic studies centres on linguistics (phonetics and dialectology) and literature. He is a specialist on the 19th-century Nahda (Arab Renaissance) movement in Egypt and Tunisia and has published extensively on this topic. He is also involved in a long-term project on mediaeval Arabic erotic literature which will result in the edition and translation of original manuscripts.
Newman has translated several works of Arabic literature, both from the pre-modern and modern era. These include Takhlis al-Ibriz fi Talkhis Bariz by Rifa'a al-Tahtawi (under the title An Imam in Paris) and Modern Arabic Short Stories. In 2008, he was the co-recipient of the Republic of Tunisia International Prize for Islamic Studies for the book Muslim Women in Law and Society.
- A to Z of Arabic-English-Arabic Translation, London, Saqi Books, 2013 (co-authored with R. Husni).
- Modern Arabic Short Stories: A Bilingual Reader - Twelve Stories by Contemporary Masters from Morocco to Iraq, London, Saqi Books, 2008 (co-authored with R. Husni).
- Arabic-English Thematic Lexicon, Routledge, 2007.
- Muslim Women in Law and Society: Annotated translation of al-Tahir al-Haddad’s Imra ‘tuna fi ‘l-sharia wa ‘l-mujtama, with an introduction, Routledge, 2007 (co-authored with R. Husni).
- An Imam in Paris: Al-Tahtawi's Visit to France (1826-1831), London, Saqi Books, 2004 (2nd revised edition 2011).
- Elsevier’s Dictionary of Ports and Shipping (English, French, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Dutch, German), Amsterdam, Elsevier, 1993 (co-authored with J. Van der Tuin).
- Proceedings of the 1st Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2012), Singapore, 2012.
- Maritime Terminology: Issues in Communication and Translation. Proceedings of the First International Conference on Maritime Terminology, Brussels, 1999 (with M. Van Campenhoudt).
- "All the president's trials - Inside Story - Al Jazeera English". Al Jazeera. 4 Aug 2011. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- Byrd, David (23 August 2012). "Quicktake: More Bloodshed, Little Relief Ahead for Syria - Daniel Newman". Voice of America. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "2nd Annual International Conference on Language, Literature & Linguistics (L3 2013)". Program Committee. Global Science and Technology Forum. Retrieved 11 April 2013.
- "British Society for Middle Eastern Studies". Charity Insight. New Statesman Ltd. Archived from the original on 28 June 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Profile of Daniel Newman". Banipal (UK) Magazine of Modern Arab Literature. Banipal Trust for Arab Literature. Archived from the original on 10 October 2015. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Saqi Books 2013 Catalogue" (PDF). Saqi Telegram: The Westbourne Press. Saqi Books. Retrieved 10 April 2013.
- "Remise du Prix international du Président de la République pour les études islamiques au titre de l'année 2008". Journal le Temps. 28 September 2008. Archived from the original on 6 July 2013. Retrieved 10 April 2013.