Oerther at Department of State in 2015
Daniel Barton Oerther
October 11, 1972
Columbus, Ohio, USA
|Residence||Rolla, MO, USA|
|Other names||Dan Oerther|
|Citizenship||United States of America|
|Fields||Environmental Health Engineering|
|Thesis||Using molecular signature methods to measure the in situ physiology of Acinetobacter spp. in enhanced biological phosphorus removal activated sludge (2002)|
|Doctoral advisor||Lutgarde Raskin|
Daniel Barton Oerther (born October 11, 1972) is an American Professor of Environmental Health Engineering. He is best known for the use of 16S ribosomal RNA-targeted techniques for fundamental studies of the ecology of bacteria in engineered and natural systems, for the use of community-based participatory research to create and evaluate programs and policies to improve access to clean water, nutritious food, and energy efficiency in developing communities, and for innovation in the scholarship of teaching and learning.
- 1 Life and education
- 2 Employment
- 3 Social Entrepreneurship
- 4 Scholarly Activities
- 5 Awards
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Life and education
Born in Columbus, OH, Oerther grew up in Louisville, KY, and graduated from Saint Xavier High School. He earned a Baccalaureate of Arts in Biological Sciences (1995) and a Baccalaureate of Sciences in Environmental Engineering (1995) from Northwestern University. He earned a Masters of Science in Environmental Engineering (1998) and a doctorate (2002) from the University of Illinois. He completed post-doctoral training in microbial ecology at the Marine Biological Laboratory, environmental health at the University of Cincinnati, public health at The Johns Hopkins University, and public administration at Indiana University.
University of Cincinnati
From 2000 through 2009, Oerther was a member of the faculty of the University of Cincinnati where he served as Head of the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering. At Cincinnati, he established the Ohio Center of Excellence in Advanced Energy: Sustaining the Urban Environment, created a campus-wide minor in sustainability, and founded a student chapter of Engineers Without Borders.
Missouri University of Science and Technology
In 2010, Oerther joined the faculty of the Missouri University of Science and Technology as the John A. and Susan Mathes Endowed Chair of Environmental Engineering. At Missouri, he promoted the Solar Village, established the Diplomacy Lab program on campus, and led student study-abroad to India and Brazil.
United States Department of State
From 2014-2019, Oerther was a Foreign Affairs Officer at the United States Department of State in the Secretary's Office of Global Food Security where he provided expert advice on agricultural policy. At State, he lead the creation of COAST - (the Caribbean Oceans and Aquaculture Sustainability faciliTy); and he represented the United States at the Second International Conference on Nutrition, the launch of the Blue Growth Network in St. George's, Grenada, the second Our Ocean Conference in Valparaiso, Chile, and the 43rd plenary session of the Committee on World Food Security in Rome, Italy.
American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists
In 2013, Oerther joined the Board of Trustees of the American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists as Treasurer. He was elected Vice President in 2019, and will lead the Academy as President-elect (2020), President (2021), and Past-president through 2022. His recognition from the Academy includes the 2009 University Research Honor Award for, "Improved water quality in northwest Tanzania," the 2014 Excellence in Environmental Engineering and Science Education Award, the 2016 Superior Achievement Award for, "Improved water quality in Ixcan, Guatemala," the 2017 Frederick George Pohland Medal, and the 2018 Stanley E. Kappe Award.
Oerther is lifetime honorary member of The Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International (2011); and a Fellow of the American Academy of Nursing (2016), the Royal Society of Arts (2017), the Royal Society for Public Health (2017), the Society of Environmental Engineers in the United Kingdom (2018), the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (2018), and the Academy of Nursing Education of the National League for Nursing (2018).
Oerther is an Associate Editor of the, Journal of Environmental Engineering published by the American Society of Civil Engineers. He was appointed to the Board of Directors of the Sigma Theta Tau International Building Corporation (2013-2021), and the Welfare Fund Committee of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health (2019-2021).
Oerther is a Visiting Professor at the Institute of Science and Technology for Advanced Studies and Research, Gujarat, India; an Adjunct Professor in the School of Life Sciences, Manipal University in Karnataka, India; and a Faculty Consultant at Future University in Egypt.
Oerther is a proponent of Boyer's model of scholarship in higher education, including: discovery, integration, engagement, and teaching. In an effort to translate the discoveries of the university to benefit society-at-large, he has practiced award-winning social entrepreneurship. Oerther's accomplishments include bringing clean drinking water,  improved access to healthcare, and knowledge-economy jobs to Tanzania, Ghana, and Kenya working with the non-profit organizations, Village Life Outreach Project and Good Health Messengers, and establishing PulaCloud, LLC; improving access to safe, nutritious food in food deserts in urban Cincinnati and rural Missouri; demonstrating small-home living; and eliminating childhood stunting in Brazil and Guatemala working with non-profit organizations, Amazon River Cruises and Healthy Communities.
Oerther is part of a diverse team of faculty pioneering the field of environmental biotechnology – where 16S ribosomal RNA-targeted techniques and microbial genomics are used to advance the fundamental understanding of ecology in engineered and natural systems used by environmental engineers and scientists to treat water, soils, and gases. His contributions have included:
- recommendations to improve the reliable performance of suspended growth, aerobic, municipal sewage treatment systems perturbed by discharges of industrial pollutants;
- recommendations to reduce the early stages of membrane biofouling in aerobic, submerged membrane bioreactors;
- development of methods to identify the origin of microbiological contamination from fecal wastes discharged to watersheds.
Interprofessional Environmental Health
Oerther leads teams of engineers, nurses, and other health care professionals to provide clean drinking water and nutritious food to developing communities around the world. His contributions have included:
- the adaptation of structural equation modeling to evaluate causes of diarrhea illness in rural Guatemala and rural Brazil
- fundamental studies on the environmental determinants of childhood stunting including the interaction of microbial contamination of drinking water and aflatoxin contamination of maize.
Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
- the creation and dissemination of a novel course teaching molecular biology skills to engineers through hands-on laboratory activities without prerequisite knowledge of biology; 
- recommendations for adapting mastery learning from nursing for use in the field of environmental engineering; 
- development of a novel course teaching science diplomacy.
Oerther's awards include:
- 2005, Fulbright-Nehru Scholar to the Indian Institute of Science, India
- 2010, Service Award for election to the Board of Directors of the Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors (2007-2010)
- 2012, Fulbright-ALCOA Distinguished Chair to the Federal University of Western Para, Brazil
- 2015, Steven K. Dentel/AEESP Award for Global Outreach
- 2018, Dr. John L. Leal Award from the American Water Works Association
- 2018, Best Innovative Environmental Health Solution Award from the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health
- 2019, Engineering Education Excellence Award from the National Society of Professional Engineers
- 2019, Robert G. Quinn Award from the American Society for Engineering Education
- 2019, Fulbright Scholar to King's College London, UK
- Bonfield, Tim (2002-11-20). "Research millions pay off". Cincinnati Enquirer. Cincinnati, OH, USA. Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- "Ohio environmental expert named Mathes Chair at the Missouri University of Science and Technology". Rolla Daily News. Rolla, MO, USA. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- "Improved water quality for Ixcan, Guatemala". Environmental Engineer and Scientist. Annapolis, MD, USA: American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists. 2016-04-01. Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- McGill, Natalie (2016-11-01). "Oerther named nursing group honorary fellow". The Nation's Health. Washington, DC, USA: American Public Health Association. Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- Peale, Cliff (2008-04-22). "Universities study how to save energy, teach others". Cincinnati Enquirer. Cincinnati, OH, USA. Retrieved 2018-01-05.
- "2004 AEESP Awards - AEESP/Wiley Interscience Award for Outstanding Contributions to Environmental Engineering and Science Education" (PDF). Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors. 2005-01-01. Retrieved 2018-09-07.
- "2014 AEESP Award Recipients - Excellence in Environmental Engineering Education (E4) Award" (PDF). Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors. 2015-01-01. Retrieved 2018-09-07.
- "2017 AEESP Award Recipients - Fredrick George Pohland Medal" (PDF). Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors. 2017-07-01. Retrieved 2018-09-07.
- "Minutes of the Regular Meeting of the Board of Trustees of the University of Cincinnati" (PDF). University of Cincinnati. 2008-05-27. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- Peale, Cliff (2008-04-22). "Universities study how to save energy, teach others". Cincinnati Enquirer. Cincinnati, OH, USA. Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- "UC lifesavers". Cincinnati Magazine. Cincinnati, OH, USA: Hour Media Group, LLC. 2007-08-01. Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- "Ohio environmental expert named Mathes Chair at the Missouri University of Science and Technology". Rolla Daily News. Rolla, MO, USA. 2010-06-15. Retrieved 2017-09-02.
- Biemiller, Lawrence (2011-11-10). "The Decathlon is Over. Now What?". Washington, DC, USA: American Institute of Architects. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- "S&T diplomacy lab projects need student help". Missouri University of Science and Technology. 2015-08-21. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- "Six Students to Conduct Research in India". Rolla Daily News. Rolla, MO, USA. 2012-12-02. Retrieved 2017-04-13.
- "Missouri S&T Professor to Guide Three Students' Brazil Research". Rolla Daily News. Rolla, MO, USA. 2013-04-14. Retrieved 2017-04-13.
- "STTI honorary member named Jefferson Science Fellow". Reflections in Nursing Leadership, STTI. 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- "Oerther earns State Department award". Missouri University of Science and Technology. 2015-07-01. Retrieved 2015-08-04.
- "November is a month of action for nutrition". Dipnote, US Department of State. 2014-11-19. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- "Promoting food security and climate resilience in the Caribbean". Dipnote, US Department of State. 2015-10-09. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- "Oerther elected treasurer of AAEES". Missouri S&T eConnection. 2013-11-14. Retrieved 2016-05-02.
- "2014 University Awards from the American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists (AAEES)" (PDF). Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors. 2014-05-01. Retrieved 2016-07-28.
- "Improved water quality for Ixcan Guatemala". American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists. 2016-04-14. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- "Frederick George Pohland Medal". Environmental Engineering and Science Foundation. 2017. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Stanley E. Kappe Award". American Academy of Environmental Engineers and Scientists. 2018. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "Convention Highlights: Wednesday, November 2". The Honor Society of Nursing, Sigma Theta Tau International. 2011-11-03. Retrieved 2016-07-24.
- "American Academy of Nursing Celebrates Four Health Care Leaders as 2016 Honorary Fellows". American Academy of Nursing. 2016-08-17. Retrieved 2016-08-18.
- "Daniel Oerther named fellow of three societies". Phelps County Focus. 2018-08-13. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- "National League for Nursing Welcomes New Class into the Academy of Nursing Education". National League for Nursing. 2018-07-19. Retrieved 2018-08-14.
- Banks, M. Kathy (2006-12-01). "Editor's Note". Journal of Environmental Engineering. 132 (12): 1553. doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(2006)132:12(1553).
- "STTI honorary member named Jefferson Science Fellow". Sigma Theta Tau, Reflections in Nursing Leadership. 2014-03-17. Retrieved 2016-07-07.
- "FUE Faculty Consultants". Future University Egypt. Retrieved 2016-06-27.
- Oerther, D. B.; Voth-Gaeddert, L. E.; Divelbiss, D. W. (2019). "Improving Environmental Health Practice and Policy Through Convergence Research: A Case Study of Linked Food–Water Systems Enhancing Child Health". Environmental Engineering Science. doi:10.1089/ees.2019.0058.
- "Oerther selected for 2019 Ratchford Fellowship". Phelps County Focus. Salem. 2019-05-16. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- Mollohan, Kate (2007-08-01). "Healthy Water in Ohio and Abroad, Thanks to Ohio Engineers". Ohio Engineer. Columbus: Ohio Society of Professional Engineers. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- "Mobile Clinic for Asakrabreman". Daily Guie. Ghana. 2014-05-08. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- "Missouri EDGE, Missouri S&T partnership helping in Kenya". Rolla Daily News. Rolla. 2012-08-23. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- Campbell, Polly (2009-05-21). "Making your eating more earth friendly". Cincinnati Enquirer. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- "A Growing Relationship with Rolla and Kamunga, Kenya". The Rolla Daily News. Rolla. 2012-08-01. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- "A Hub For Social Change and Bragging Rights". The Rolla Daily News. Rolla. 2012-07-26. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- "Missouri S&T professor receives President's Award for Cross-Cultural Engagement". University of Missouri System. 2017-05-12. Retrieved 2019-06-30.
- Rittmann, Bruce E.; Hausner, Martina; Loffler, Frank; Love, Nancy G.; Muyzer, Gerard; Okabe, Satoshi; Oerther, Daniel B.; Peccia, Jordan; Raskin, Lutgarde; Wagner, Michael (2006-02-15). "A vista for microbial ecology and environmental biotechnology". Environmental Science & Technology. 40 (4): 1096–1103. doi:10.1021/es062631k.
- Saikaly, P. E.; Oerther, D. B. (2010-12-14). "Diversity of dominant bacterial taxa in activated sludge promotes functional resistance following toxic shock loading". Microbial Ecology. 61 (3): 557–67. doi:10.1007/s00248-010-9783-6. PMID 21153808.
- Matar, G. K.; Bagchi, S.; Zhang, K.; Oerther, D. B.; Saikaly, P. E. (2017-06-20). "Membrane biofilm communities in full-scale membrane bioreactors are not randomly assembled and consist of a core microbiome". Water Research. 123: 124–133. doi:10.1016/j.watres.2017.06.052. PMID 28658633.
- Lamendella, R.; Li, K. C.; Oerther, D.; Santo Domingo, J. W. (2012-11-16). "Molecular diversity of Bacteroidales in fecal and environmental samples and swine-associated subpopulations". Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 79 (3): 816–24. doi:10.1128/AEM.02535-12. PMC 3568562. PMID 23160126.
- Divelbiss, D. W.; Boccelli, D. L.; Succop, P. A.; Oerther, D. B. (2013-01-09). "Environmental health and household demographics impacting biosand filter maintenance and diarrhea in Guatemala: an application of structural equation modeling". Environmental Science & Technology. 47 (3): 1638–45. doi:10.1021/es303624a. PMID 23153353.
- Voth-Gaeddert, Lee E.; Cudney, Elizabeth A.; Oerther, Daniel B. (2018-08-01). "Primary Factors Statistically Associated with Diarrheal Occurrences". Environmental Engineering Science. 35 (8): 836–845. doi:10.1089/ees.2017.0338.
- Voth-Gaeddert, L. E.; Stoker, M.; Cornell, D.; Oerther, D. B. (2018-01-05). "What causes childhood stunting among children of San Vicente, Guatemala: Employing complimentary, system-analysis approaches". International Journal of Hygiene and Environmental Health. 221 (3): 391–399. doi:10.1016/j.ijheh.2018.01.001. PMID 29325698.
- "Integrating Biological Principles In Environmental Engineering: Summary Results Of A Three Year Pilot Study". American Society for Engineering Education. 2003-06-01. Retrieved 2019-01-05.
- "Reducing Costs While Maintaining Learning Outcomes using Blended, Flipped, and Mastery Pedagogy to Teach Introduction to Environmental Engineering". American Society for Engineering Education. 2017-06-01. Retrieved 2019-01-05.
- "Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math (STEAM) Diplomacy: Preliminary Results from an Initial Pilot Course". American Society for Engineering Education. 2018-06-01. Retrieved 2019-01-05.
- "Cultural Ambassadors: The Impact of Fulbright in India". SPAN Magazine. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- "Daniel Oerther Joins Missouri University of Science and Technology" (PDF). Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors. 2010-09-01. Retrieved 2016-07-25.
- "Daniel Oerther on Fulbright-ALCOA Distinguished Chair at University of Western Para, Brazil" (PDF). Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors. 2013-01-01. Retrieved 2015-01-31.
- "Steven K. Dentel award for global outreach". Association of Environmental Engineering and Science Professors. 2016-06-16. Retrieved 2016-04-22.
- "Dr. John L. Leal Award". American Water Works Association. 2018. Retrieved 2018-04-08.
- "CIEH Excellence Awards 2018". Chartered Institute of Environmental Health. 2018. Retrieved 2018-11-28.
- "Engineering Education Excellence Award". National Society of Professional Engineers. 2019. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- "Robert G. Quinn Award". American Society for Engineering Education. 2019. Retrieved 2019-05-15.