|Born||August 27, 1966
|Occupation||Nintendo of America Localization Manager|
|Known for||Translator of many Nintendo video games|
Daniel "Dan" Owsen is a video game translator at Nintendo of America (NOA), best known for his role in the translation and localization of many Nintendo video games, playing a large role in the translation of The Legend of Zelda series. He is also known for his now-discontinued "Ask Dan" column on Nintendo's official website. As of 2015, Owsen lives in Seattle, Washington.
Owsen started at NOA in 1989. He started in Consumer Service during the days of the Nintendo Entertainment System, and has since moved from department to department, first going to Publications, then to Product Development, then back to Publications as the on-line manager. He has worked with Shigeru Miyamoto's R&D team, writing screen texts for Legend of Zelda titles A Link to the Past, Link's Awakening and The Ocarina of Time. Owsen is one of the first English voices used in any Nintendo console, as his voice can be heard in the Super NES game Star Fox and at the beginning of Super Metroid - "The last Metroid is in captivity... the galaxy is at peace."
Owsen had translated around 10% of the script of Earthbound, including some of the game's "most iconic phrases", before handing over the project to Marcus Lindblom and moving on to a different project.
- The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (1991)
- Star Fox (1993)
- The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993)
- Kirby's Adventure (1993)
- Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (1994)
- Super Metroid (1994)
- Illusion of Gaia (1994)
- EarthBound (1994)
- Metroid II: Return of Samus (1991)
- Donkey Kong Country (1994)
- Teleroboxer (1995)
- Kirby's Avalanche (1995)
- Killer Instinct (1995)
- Galactic Pinball (1995)
- Donkey Kong Land (1995)
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (1995)
- Terranigma (1995)
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (1998/2011)
|Wikiquote has quotations related to: Daniel Owsen|
- Vestal, Andrew (1999). "Interview with Dan Owsen". The Gaming Intelligence Agency.
- Hagopain, Mases (2011-05-20). "Exclusive Interview: Dan Owsen Talks Zelda Timeline". Zelda Dungeon.
- Rappel, TJ (1998). "The MDb Interviews Dan Owsen". Metroid-Database.com.
- Wong, Kevin (2014-12-20). "The Opening Sequence To Super Metroid Is A Masterpiece". Kotaku Australia.
- Schreier, Jason (August 23, 2013). "The Man Who Wrote Earthbound". Kotaku. Gawker Media. Archived from the original on January 25, 2014. Retrieved January 25, 2014.
- Schreier, Jason (2013-09-14). "Nintendo's Secret Weapon". Kotaku Australia.
- Macale, Sherilynn (2011-05-11). "Hands-on: Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3Ds's Master Quest mode". Destructoid.