Daniel R. Benson
|Daniel R. "Dan" Benson|
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly from the 14th Legislative District|
January 10, 2011
Serving with Wayne DeAngelo
|Preceded by||Linda R. Greenstein|
|Mercer County Freeholder|
March 18, 2008 – January 10, 2011
|Preceded by||Elizabeth Maher Muoio|
|Succeeded by||Samuel Frisby|
|Born||November 22, 1975|
|Residence||Hamilton Township, Mercer County, New Jersey|
|Alma mater||B.S. Georgetown University
M.P.P. Rutgers University
|Occupation||Energy and telecommunications policy consultant|
|Website||Legislative web page|
Daniel R. "Dan" Benson (born November 22, 1975) is an American Democratic Party politician who serves in the New Jersey General Assembly representing the 14th Legislative District. Benson, who previously served on the Mercer County Board of Chosen Freeholders, replaced Assemblywoman Linda R. Greenstein, after she was elected to the New Jersey Senate in a special election. He was sworn in on January 10, 2011, to fill Greenstein's vacant Assembly seat.
Benson received a B.S degree from Georgetown University, studying physics and government, and a Master of Public Policy degree from Rutgers University's Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning and Public Policy, studying science and technology policy.
He was elected to the Hamilton Township Council in 2002, becoming the youngest elected councilman in township history. He served on the council until 2005, when he gave up his seat to run for the New Jersey General Assembly. Benson lost the Assembly race, finishing behind the incumbents, Republican Bill Baroni and Democrat Linda R. Greenstein.
In 2008, Benson was appointed to a seat on the Mercer County Board of Chosen Freeholders by county Democrats replacing Elizabeth Maher Muoio who took on a county job. He won a special election in November 2008 to complete the remainder of Muoio's term and was re-elected to a full three-year term in 2009.
When Greenstein won a special election to fill the remainder of Baroni's Senate term in November 2010, Benson ran for the vacant Assembly seat. On January 8, 2011, Benson was selected by a Democratic convention of Mercer and Middlesex counties (the counties that compose the 14th District) to replace Greenstein. He was sworn in on January 10, 2011. In the Legislature, he serves as the Chair of Assembly Transportation Committee, he also sits on the Health and Human Services Committee and the Budget Committee.
Each of the 40 districts in the New Jersey Legislature has one representative in the New Jersey Senate and two members in the New Jersey General Assembly. The other representatives from the 14th District for the 2016-2016 Legislative Session are:
- "Assemblyman Benson's legislative page". New Jersey Legislature. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Hester, Tom (January 10, 2011). "Democrat Daniel Benson sworn in as N.J. Assembly member". NewJerseyNewsroom. Retrieved May 1, 2011.
- "Benson will take a break". PolitickerNJ. November 29, 2005. Retrieved May 1, 2011.
- Pizarro, Max (March 15, 2008). "Mercer Democrats pick Walter and Cimino over Mack, and select Benson for unexpired term in freeholder contests". Politicker NJ. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
Hamilton Council President Benson to fill the unexpired term of Freeholder Muio [sic], who earlier this year accepted a position as the county's director of Economic Development and Sustainability. ... Benson will be sworn-in on Tuesday.
- Staff (November 4, 2008). "Mercer sheriff, freeholder election results". The Times. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Staff (November 9, 2009). "ELECTION '09: Dems sweep Mercer County freeholder race". Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Duffy, Erin (January 9, 2011). "Mercer freeholder Dan Benson chosen to fill 14th District Assembly seat". The Times (Trenton). Retrieved May 1, 2011.
- "Assemblyman Daniel R. Benson Bio Page". NJ Assembly Majority Office. Retrieved September 1, 2015.
- Legislative Roster 2016-2017 Session, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 28, 2014.
- District 14 Legislators, New Jersey Legislature. Accessed January 28, 2014.
- Assemblyman Daniel R. Benson's legislative web page, New Jersey Legislature
- New Jersey Legislature financial disclosure forms - 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
|New Jersey General Assembly|
Linda R. Greenstein
|Member of the New Jersey General Assembly for the 14th District
January 10, 2011 – present
With: Wayne DeAngelo
Elizabeth Maher Muoio
|Mercer County At-large Freeholder
March 18, 2008 – January 10, 2011