|Israeli Ambassador to the United Kingdom|
June 2011 – September 2015
|Prime Minister||Benjamin Netanyahu|
|Preceded by||Ron Prosor|
|Succeeded by||Mark Regev|
|Born||1962 (age 54–55)
|Alma mater||University College, Oxford
University College London
|Service/branch||Israel Defense Forces|
Daniel Taub (Hebrew: דניאל טאוב; born 1962) is an Israeli diplomat, international lawyer and writer of British origin who served as Israel's Ambassador to the United Kingdom from 2011 to 2015. He is director of strategy and planning at the Yad Hanadiv (Rothschild) Foundation in Jerusalem.
Daniel Taub was born and raised in the United Kingdom. He attended secondary school at the Haberdashers' Aske's Boys' School in Elstree, Hertfordshire, and thereafter studied at University College, Oxford, University College, London and Harvard University. Taub moved to Israel in 1989. He served as a combat medic in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), and subsequently as a reserve officer in the IDF's international law division. Soon after arriving in Israel, Taub worked as speechwriter for President Chaim Herzog. He joined the Israeli Foreign Ministry in 1991.
Taub and his wife Zehava have six children, who performed a song together at a party in honour of Israel's 64th birthday.
Taub has held many diplomatic, legal and political posts in the Israeli Foreign Ministry. He is an expert in international law, with specialisations in counter-terrorism and the laws of war. As Principal Deputy Legal Advisor of Israel's Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Taub served as legal adviser to Israel's missions to the United Nations in New York and Geneva, and represented Israel in many multilateral fora.
Taub was extensively involved in the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, helping negotiate many of the agreements reached between the two sides, and heading the Israeli side of the Culture of Peace track of negotiations, travelling with his Palestinian counterpart to Northern Ireland to learn from the experience there. He was also a member of Israel's negotiation team in the Israel-Syrian negotiations. He headed Israel's observer delegation to the International Court of Justice hearings on Israel's security barrier, represented Israel before the UN investigative committee on the Gaza flotilla incident, and negotiated the entry of Israel's Red Cross society, Magen David Adom, into the International Red Cross Movement, after 70 years of exclusion.
Ambassador to the UK
In 2011, Taub was appointed Ambassador to the Court of St James's Despite some objections from the Foreign Ministry union that he was junior for the position, colleagues praised the appointment as an "inspired and worthy choice". Taub is the second UK-born Israeli ambassador to Britain. When he presented his credentials, the Queen asked him how it felt to be serving as ambassador in the land of his birth. He replied: "I said that I felt tremendously privileged that it fell to me to raise my children in their historic homeland after two millennia of exile, but I am also aware that in that arc of 2,000 years the greatest period of opportunity for my family was found here in Britain, and I hope to express my appreciation for that by deepening ties of cooperation between our countries."
Placing a strong emphasis on trade and technology links, Taub introduced the Bizcamp start-up competition in conjunction with Google and was nominated for the Grassroot Diplomat Initiative Award for developing business and trade. Between the years 2011 and 2013, UK-Israel bilateral trade increased to $8 billion.
Taub has also placed a clear focus on cross-cultural and interfaith activity, and has been invited to teach Bible and Hebrew study classes in Westminster Abbey and at the Church of England Synod. His outreach has included many cultural events reaching out to ethnic and cultural groups hosted jointly with other ambassadors, as well as outreach to the UK Israeli community, in line with his philosophy that Israel is a house with many doors.
Taub is a lecturer and public speaker, known for his humour. He has been interviewed widely on television including on Hardtalk, CNN, Newsnight, Sky News, and the BBC Radio 4's Today programme, and was the first Israeli Ambassador to be interviewed on the BBC Persian service. He also lectures widely in universities and policy institutes in Israel and abroad. He has responded to occasional demonstrations against Israeli speakers at some British universities by increasing the number of embassy university visits, insisting that "when extremist elements try to silence us, our response must be to be even more active reaching out and making our case".
Having grown up in the UK, Taub has a close relationship with the British Jewish community, and was responsible for envisaging the Closer to Israel programme adopted by Jewish community for Israel's 65th anniversary. He is a popular lecturer at the annual Limmud conference.
In addition to serving as Ambassador to the UK, in March 2013 Taub became Israel's first Ambassador to the International Maritime Organization which is based in London.  Taub's appointment as Ambassador ended in 2015, and he returned to Israel. It was later reported that British security officials had complained to the embassy about "security breaches" at his home which meant that they were no longer able to offer him effective security. The Israeli Foreign Ministry conducted an internal enquiry into the reports, and concluded that "there had been a breach of security protocol" but there had been no "criminal or disciplinary wrongdoing."
Taub wrote Parasha Diplomatit, a book of diplomatic insights on biblical texts. He was also the creator and chief scriptwriter of an Israeli drama series, Hechatzer, set in an ultra-orthodox Hasidic sect. The series, described by Taub as "a cross between Dallas and the Chosen" set out to break down stereotypes of secular and religious in Israeli society.
- Freedland, Michael. "Farewell, Mr Ambassador: Interview with Daniel Taub". The Jewish Chronicle. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Cohen, Justin. "Daniel Taub to join Israeli philanthropic foundation". Times of Israel. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Former Ambassador to the UK Daniel Taub joins Yad Hanadiv as Director of Strategy and Planning". Yad Hanadiv. Retrieved 27 July 2016.
- "Interview: Daniel Taub | The Jewish Chronicle". Thejc.com. 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "2013 – Ambassador Daniel Taub". The Jewish Medical Association UK. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- Halle, Charlotte. "This Soap Man Scrubs Up Israel's Image". Haaretz. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- "This Soap Man Scrubs Up Israel's Image, Too Haaretz Daily Newspaper Israel News". Haaretz.com. 2005-03-04. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Report of the Secretary-General’s Panel of Inquiry on the 31 May 2010 Flotilla Incident" (PDF). Un.org. Retrieved 2015-08-13.
- "2013 - Ambassador Daniel Taub". Jewish Medical Association UK. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- Keinon, Herb (2011-06-20). "Daniel Taub named new Israeli ambassador to London - Diplomacy & Politics - Jerusalem Post". Jpost.com. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Israel's new envoy: Daniel Taub | The Jewish Chronicle". Thejc.com. 2011-11-28. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Israel's new ambassador presents credentials to UK's Queen", Jerusalem Post
- Sam Shead (2013-09-13). "Manchester firm Formisimo wins trip to "start-up nation" | Startups | Techworld". News.techworld.com. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Israel’s envoy Daniel Taub deploys movies and high-tech to beat the boycott | The Jewish Chronicle". Thejc.com. 2012-11-01. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- Michael Freedland (2012-09-08). "Envoy teaches how to dig down into Hebrew to unearth a common cause". The Times. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- Pileggi, Tamar (2013-11-21). "Israel's envoy to UK leads study at Anglican conference". The Times of Israel. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Israelis Need to Mix with UK Jews; The Jewish Chronicle". Thejc.com. Retrieved 2017-03-09.
- "Taub's masterclass in speechmaking | The Jewish Chronicle". Thejc.com. 2011-10-06. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "A long wait for a bar mitzvah | The Jewish Chronicle". Thejc.com. 2012-03-01. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- Brian Robinson. "Yahoo! Groups". Groups.yahoo.com. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Israel boycotters making a ‘mistake,’ sending bad message to Palestinians, says Israel ambassador – Amanpour - CNN.com Blogs". Amanpour.blogs.cnn.com. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Israeli Ambassador unhappy at Iran nuclear deal - Newsnight". YouTube. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Israel's Ambassador to the UK, Daniel Taub, interviewed on Sky News". YouTube. 2014-07-27. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Doing nothing is simply not an option". Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- "עלונדון.נט - השגריר בלונדון מדובב לפרסית". Alondon.net. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "A Discussion with Counterterrorism and Humanitarian Law Specialist Daniel Taub". Archived from the original on July 14, 2014. Retrieved July 7, 2014.
- Dysch, Marcus (2012-05-04). "Israeli ambassador made to feel secure on Liverpool campus". Prssreader. Thejc.com. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Israel’s 65th will draw us all closer". Thejc.com. 2013-02-21. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "My Israel in Ten Topics". JDOV. 2013. Retrieved 12 February 2017.
- "Ambassador Taub becomes Israel’s first Ambassador to the International Maritime Organisation". Embassies.gov.il. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Israeli ambassador was repeatedly warned over London security breaches". The Guardian. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Beaumont, Peter (4 February 2016). "Israeli ambassador was repeatedly warned over London security breaches". The Guardian. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "UK news World Israel Galleries Videos Campus Podcast People The Diary The Week That Was Former Israeli ambassador to London was reprimanded over ‘security breaches’". Jewish Chronicle. 4 February 2016. Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- Ravid, Barak (4 February 2016). "Israel’s Former Envoy to U.K. Loses Out on Top Ministry Job Due to Security Breach". Retrieved 4 February 2016.
- "Grassroot Diplomat Who's Who". Grassroot Diplomat. 15 March 2015. Archived from the original on 20 May 2015. Retrieved 27 April 2015.
- "Grandstanding won’t win peace. Talking will | The Times". The Times. Retrieved 2017-02-09.
- "The Palestinians’ UN ploy is just the latest stalling tactic". Telegraph. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Boycotting Israel does not bring peace closer or benefit humanity". Telegraph. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- Daniel Taub. "This TUC boycott has morphed into bigotry". The Guardian. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Halting Hamas | Daniel Taub". Huffingtonpost.co.uk. 2012-11-20. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "Parasha Diplomatit". Parasha Diplomatit. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- Parasha Diplomatit: An Israeli Diplomatic Perspective on the Weekly Torah ... - Google Books. Books.google.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-08-12.
- "ערוץ התכלת בשיתוף דרסט הפקות מפיקים טלנובלה חסידית בהשקעה של 800 אלף דולר - מדיה ופרסום". TheMarker. 2003-07-13. Retrieved 2015-08-12.