2 September 1975 |
Rychnov nad Kněžnou, Czechoslovakia
|Occupation||Video game writer, director, designer|
Daniel Vávra (born 2 September 1975) is a Czech video game writer, director, designer and co-founder of Warhorse Studios. He is best known as the author of crime action video games Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven and Mafia II. As of 2016, he is working on medieval role-playing game Kingdom Come: Deliverance.
Daniel Vávra was born in Rychnov nad Kněžnou, before moving to Prague. Since childhood, Vávra has enjoyed working with computers, drawing comics, and taking photos. He studied at the School of Applied Arts in Turnov and started his career as a graphic designer at advertising company TIPA. He has written numerous articles for the Czech gaming magazine Level and other gaming magazines, and is also a passionate player of paintball. He was also an active demoscener, under the pseudonym Hellboy, as part of the group Broncs.
Illusion Softworks/2K Czech
In 1998, Vávra joined Illusion Softworks as a 2D artist. His first project was Hidden and Dangerous, for which he created some textures. His next project was the highly acclaimed Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven, for which he was the lead designer, screenwriter and director. He later became the leading figure of Illusion Softworks's Prague subsidiary and also worked on Wings of War, released in 2004. He worked on another project, Hi-Tech, but it was cancelled. His last project for Illusion Softworks (renamed as 2K Czech) was Mafia II. He left the studio in 2009.
In 2011, Vávra co-founded Warhorse Studios. He is currently working on Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a role-playing video game that uses Cry Engine 3 set in a medieval-themed open world environment. The game was set to be delivered in Q4 2015 through episodic iterations, and was successfully funded via Kickstarter.
On 9 November 2012, Vávra led a protest against the arrest of I. Buchta and M. Pezlar, Bohemia Interactive Arma 3 developers arrested during their holiday on the Greek island Lemnos. The protest was held outside the Greek embassy in Prague.
- Hidden & Dangerous (1999), Illusion Softworks
- Mafia: The City of Lost Heaven (2002), Illusion Softworks
- Mafia II (2010), 2K Czech
- Kingdom Come: Deliverance (2017), Warhorse Studios
- Obchodní rejstřík na justice.cz, IČ 24155489, Warhorse Studios s.r.o. (formerly Prague Game Studios s.r.o.), Czech
- "Daniel Vávra (Person) - Giant Bomb". Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Jay Diesel v rozhovoru pro HipHopStage nabízí nejen slíbenej new mixtape ke stažení!". HipHopStage.
- "Řecká pomsta českým vývojářům. Dan Vávra polemizuje s Janem A. Novákem". Reflex.cz.
- "Bio - Hellboy". danielvavra.com.
- "Military Paintball Community Camping 2010 < Articles - Hellboy". danielvavra.com.
- "Mafia 2 - Rozhovor s Danielem Vávrou - na Scorpions.cz".
- "Mafia for PC Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- Tiscali. "Na čem pracuje pražská pobočka Illusionu?". Games.cz.
- "Daniel Vávra Video Game Credits and Biography - MobyGames". MobyGames. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "HiTech". YouTube.
- "I do care for a next-gen medieval RPG with no fantasy • Eurogamer.net". Eurogamer.net. 22 January 2014. Retrieved 17 September 2014.
- "Jailed ArmA 3 devs send letter from prison as Czech protests escalate • Eurogamer.net". Eurogamer.net. 29 November 2012. Retrieved 17 September 2014.