|Born||1972 (age 47–48)|
Rishon LeZion, Israel
|Alma mater||Tel Aviv University, New York University|
|Known for||Study of memory and trauma|
|Institutions||Mt Sinai School of Medicine|
Daniela Schiller (born October 26, 1972 in Israel) is a neuroscientist who leads the Schiller Lab for Affective Neuroscience at the Mount Sinai School of Medicine. She is best known for her work on memory reconsolidation, and on unlearning traumatic memories and addiction.
Daniela Schiller was born in Rishon LeZion, Israel. She is the daughter of a Moroccan mother and a Ukrainian father. Schiller's father, Sigmund Schiller, is a survivor of the Holocaust. Schiller is the youngest of four children. She received a bachelor's degree in psychology and philosophy in 1996, and her doctorate in cognitive neuroscience from Tel Aviv University in 2004. She was awarded a Fulbright fellowship and worked with Elizabeth A. Phelps at New York University. Schiller plays drums and sings backing vocals for The Amygdaloids.
Awards and recognition
- Schiller, Daniela; Marie-H. Monfils; Candace M. Raio; David C. Johnson; Joseph E. LeDoux; Elizabeth A. Phelps (2009). "Preventing the return of fear in humans using reconsolidation update mechanisms". Nature. 463 (7277): 49–53. doi:10.1038/nature08637. ISSN 0028-0836. PMC 3640262. PMID 20010606.
- Schiller, D.; I. Levy; Y. Niv; J. E. LeDoux; E. A. Phelps (2008). "From Fear to Safety and Back: Reversal of Fear in the Human Brain". Journal of Neuroscience. 28 (45): 11517–11525. doi:10.1523/JNEUROSCI.2265-08.2008. ISSN 0270-6474. PMC 3844784. PMID 18987188.
- Schiller, Daniela; Jonathan B Freeman; Jason P Mitchell; James S Uleman; Elizabeth A Phelps (2009). "A neural mechanism of first impressions". Nature Neuroscience. 12 (4): 508–514. doi:10.1038/nn.2278. ISSN 1097-6256.
- Schiller, D.; C. K. Cain; N. G. Curley; J. S. Schwartz; S. A. Stern; J. E. LeDoux; E. A. Phelps (2008). "Evidence for recovery of fear following immediate extinction in rats and humans". Learning & Memory. 15 (6): 394–402. doi:10.1101/lm.909208. ISSN 1072-0502. PMC 2414250. PMID 18509113.
- Yogis, Jaimal (2013-01-08). The Fear Project: What Our Most Primal Emotion Taught Me About Survival, Success, Surfing . . . and Love. Rodale. pp. 18–20. ISBN 9781609611767. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Neuroscience Department - Schiller Lab Home". Mount Sinai School of Medicine. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Hall, Stephen S. (June 17, 2013). "Neuroscientist Daniela Schiller is Researching Ways that Bad Memories Can be Made Less Fearsome". MIT Technology Review. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Alleyne, Richard (December 10, 2009). "Trauma and fear to be erased from your mind". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Reardon, Sara (April 13, 2012). "Drug-free therapy makes addicts 'forget' addiction". New Scientist. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- Specter, Michael (19 May 2014). "Partial Recall". The New Yorker. Retrieved 27 February 2015.
- Heydarpour, Roja (6 March 2007). "INK; A Band of Scientists Who Really Are a Band". The New York Times. p. 2. Retrieved 10 July 2013.
- "Daniela Schiller | Blavatnik Awards for Young Scientists". blavatnikawards.org. Retrieved 2017-07-19.
- Profile at Mt. Sinai
- Barth, Amy (December 27, 2009). "5 Questions for the Rock'n'Rolling, Sky-Diving Master of Memory". Discover. Retrieved 10 July 2013.