Daniele Gatti (born 6 November 1961) is an Italian conductor. He is the designated music director of Amsterdam's Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, beginning in September, 2016, having previously served in similar positions with the Orchestre National de France and Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. He is also Artistic Advisor of the Mahler Chamber Orchestra.
Gatti was born in Milan. He was principal conductor of the Orchestra Dell'Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia in Rome from 1992 to 1997. In 1997, he became the music director of the Orchestra del Teatro Comunale di Bologna. He has also served as principal guest conductor of the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. In 2005, alongside Zubin Mehta and Christian Thielemann, Gatti was invited to conduct a concert in commemoration of the fiftieth anniversary of the 1955 reopening and renovation of the Vienna State Opera. His debut at the Bayreuth Festival was in Stefan Herheim's production of Parsifal in 2008.
In 1994, Gatti made his first guest conducting appearance with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra (RPO). He was immediately offered the position of the RPO's principal conductor, and he assumed the post in 1996. Gatti is regarded as having restored the RPO's status on par to the other main London orchestras. During his tenure, in 2004, the RPO acquired its first permanent residency at Cadogan Hall. In April 2007, Gatti was one of eight conductors of British orchestras to endorse the 10-year classical music outreach manifesto, "Building on Excellence: Orchestras for the 21st Century", to increase the presence of classical music in the UK, including giving free entry to all British schoolchildren to a classical music concert. In 2009, Gatti stepped down as the RPO's principal conductor and became the orchestra's conductor laureate.
Gatti became Music Director of the Orchestre National de France in September 2008.; he gave his "farewell concert" in June, 2016. He was chief conductor of the Zurich Opera from 2009 to 2012. In October 2014, the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra appointed Gatti as its seventh chief conductor, effective September, 2016. In May 2016 Gatti has been appointed Artistic Advisor of the Mahler Chamber Orchestra.
- Hilary Finch (September 2000). "The Transformer". BBC Music Magazine.
- Erica Jeal (1999-09-20). "Subtle but confident". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-04-30.
- Louise Jury (8 January 2002). "London Philharmonic gets a concert centre". The Independent. Retrieved 2008-10-09.
- Anthony Holden (2004-05-09). "Vandals at the gates". The Observer. Retrieved 2007-04-30.
- Charlotte Higgins (2007-04-26). "Orchestras urge free concerts for children". The Guardian. Retrieved 2007-05-06.
- Martin Cullingford (2007-04-20). "Charles Dutoit takes over Royal Philharmonic Orchestra". Gramophone. Archived from the original on 2007-09-27. Retrieved 2007-04-30.
- Matthew Westphal (2007-07-23). "Daniele Gatti to Succeed Kurt Masur at Orchestre National de France". Playbill Arts. Retrieved 2007-07-24.
- Concert.arte.tv "Bravo Maestro !" - Concert d'adieu de Daniele Gatti," URL=http://concert.arte.tv/fr/bravo-maestro-concert-dadieu-de-daniele-gatti
- "Daniele Gatti Appointed Chief Conductor of RCO" (Press release). Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. 3 October 2014. Retrieved 2014-10-03.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Daniele Gatti.|