Colby in 2010
Antique shop office manager
Clothing boutique owner
Danielle Colby was born in Davenport, Iowa, and brought up as a Jehovah’s Witness. By 2004, she was married to Englishman Robert Strong with two children. Colby's television career eventually led to the breakup of her marriage. In May 2012, she told WQAD-TV that "fame and notoriety are not easy for him to deal with at all, so the relationship ended up not working out".
Danielle currently resides in the Chicago area.
While living with her family in Chicago, she attended a burlesque performance starring comedian Margaret Cho and dancer Satan's Angel. This prompted in her a desire to become a burlesque dancer; and, after she moved back with her family to the Quad Cities area of Iowa, she created the professional burlesque troupe Burlesque Le Moustache, with nine performers, including Colby herself under the stage name Dannie Diesel, touring eastern Iowa and western Illinois. As of October 2014, Colby owned a burlesque academy called Dannie Diesel's Bump 'n' Grind Academy in the Rogers Park neighborhood of Chicago.
Colby had been a close friend of Mike Wolfe for a decade before the concept of the show had even been developed. Once the show was sold to the History Channel, Wolfe asked Colby to work at the office of the antique shop Antique Archaeology.
Colby owned and operated 4 Miles 2 Memphis, a retro clothing based company. A brick and mortar location opened on January 8, 2013 in the Wicker Park area of Chicago however closed within a year.
- "Danielle Colby Cushman". American Pickers. A&E Television Networks. Archived from the original (website) on August 13, 2011. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- Schulz, Mike (April 13, 2010). "Women's Liberation: Founder Danielle Colby-Cushman Discusses Burlesque Le' Moustache, Performing April 24 at the Capitol Theatre". River Cities' Reader. Davenport, Iowa. Archived from the original on February 13, 2012. Retrieved January 26, 2012.
- Colby, Danielle (May 8, 2012). "News 8 Exclusive: American Pickers Star Danielle Colby talks family, fame and burlesque" (Interview: video). Interviewed by Denise Hnytka. Moline, Illinois: WQAD-TV. Retrieved May 25, 2012. 1m07s to 1m55s.
- "Q&A: Danielle Colby-Cushman of 'American Pickers'". Seattle, Washington. April 4, 2010. Archived from the original on June 26, 2010.
- Lavelle, Ciara (May 10, 2012). "American Pickers' Danielle Colby Cushman on Burlesque Dancing, Her Co-Stars' Quirks, and How She Almost Died in Florida". Miami New Times. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- Chance, Todd (January 5, 2014). "American Pickers star Danielle Colby-Cushman talks new show idea, vintage earrings". Mlive. Retrieved September 26, 2015.
- Burke, David (October 20, 2014). "Danielle Colby takes a different route in her burlesque career". Quad-City Times. Retrieved May 31, 2015.
- Hawks, Asa (December 6, 2010). "Photos – American Pickers' Danielle Colby Cushman is burlesque dancer Dannie Diesel". starcasm.net. Macon, Alabama: Chicory Media LLC. Retrieved May 25, 2012.
- Kimberly Clay (February 10, 2010). "American Pickers: History Channel's New Sensation". Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- "HISTORY Posts Blockbuster Ratings on Monday Night with Premiere Episodes of Hit Series 'American Pickers & 'Pawn Stars'". September 8, 2010. Retrieved December 2, 2010.
- "Danielle Colby Designs". Danielle Colby. Archived from the original on June 19, 2006. Retrieved April 30, 2014.
- 'American Pickers' Star To Open Shop in Wicker Park - Wicker Park - DNAinfo.com Chicago Archived January 17, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on June 26, 2018. Retrieved June 26, 2018.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)