Danielle Outlaw (born c. 1975) serves as chief of police for the Portland Police Bureau, in the U.S. state of Oregon. She is the first African American woman to head the bureau, and was appointed by mayor Ted Wheeler in 2017. Outlaw previously worked for the Oakland Police Department, where she served as deputy chief since 2013.
Early life and career
Outlaw's father and mother worked with the California Department of Transportation and AT&T, respectively. She attended the Holy Names High School in Oakland, California. Outlaw became a police cadet, then graduated from the University of San Francisco with a Bachelor of Arts in sociology, followed by a Master of Business Administration from Pepperdine University. She then joined the Oakland Police Department. Outlaw started as a patrol officer, and was eventually promoted to deputy chief in 2013. She was the Oakland bureau's second woman to serve as deputy chief.
- Bernstein, Maxine (October 3, 2017). "New Police Chief Danielle Outlaw: Portland offers 'ability to be bold'". The Oregonian. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Lopez, Robert (March 11, 2015). "Chief finalist: Residents need to have a voice". News & Record. Greensboro, North Carolina. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Templeton, Amelia (October 4, 2017). "Portland's New Police Chief, Danielle Outlaw, Is Tough, Ambitious — And Inked". Oregon Public Broadcasting. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Shepherd, Katie (August 7, 2017). "Danielle Outlaw Will Become the First Black Woman to Be Portland Police Chief". Willamette Week. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Bernstein, Maxine (August 8, 2017). "Portland mayor selects first African American woman to be next chief of police". The Oregonian. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Debolt, David (August 7, 2017). "Oakland deputy police chief named Portland's new top cop". East Bay Times. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Shepherd, Katie (August 10, 2017). "Future Portland Police Chief Danielle Outlaw Recently Defended an Agreement Between Oakland Police and ICE". Willamette Week. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Dubois, Steven (August 10, 2017). "Outlaw introduced as next Portland police chief". KGW. Associated Press. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- "Portland Police Bureau swears in new police chief, Danielle Outlaw". KATU. October 2, 2017. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- Portland Police Bureau (October 2, 2017). "Danielle Outlaw Sworn in as Chief of Police". The Skanner. Retrieved October 11, 2017.
- "Q&A with new Portland Police Chief Danielle Outlaw". Portland, Oregon: KPTV. October 3, 2017.
- Biography on City of Portland website