Official Parliamentary portrait, June 2017
|Member of Parliament|
|Assumed office |
9 June 2017
|Preceded by||Owen Thompson|
25 February 1990
Dalkeith, Midlothian, Scotland
|Political party||Scottish Labour Party|
|Alma mater||Edinburgh Napier University|
Early life and education
Danielle Rowley was born on 25 February 1990 and grew up in a council estate in Dalkeith. Her father is Scottish Labour Party politician Alex Rowley and her late mother was a trade unionist. Both her grandfathers were Labour Party activists and miners. She was educated at Dalkeith High School and graduated from the Edinburgh Napier University with a journalism degree in 2014. Rowley supported Scotland staying part of the union during the 2014 Scottish independence referendum, and worked as former Prime Minister Gordon Brown's constituency media manager during the campaign.
Rowley was selected in April 2017 as the official Labour Party candidate, for the Midlothian constituency at the snap general election on 8 June. She went on to be elected as the Member of Parliament for the constituency with a majority of 885 votes over the sitting Scottish National Party MP Owen Thompson. Rowley is so far, the first and only female MP for Midlothian. In her maiden speech in the House of Commons in July 2017, she commented that she would fight to reduce the need of food banks in her constituency. Shortly after her election, Rowley was appointed as Parliamentary Private Secretary to Shadow Foreign Secretary Emily Thornberry.
She chaired Richard Leonard's successful 2017 Scottish Labour leadership campaign to become Leader of the Scottish Labour Party, following Kezia Dugdale's decision to resign. Since September 2017, Rowley has been a member of the Scottish Affairs Select Committee.
- Rowley, Danielle. ukwhoswho.com. Who's Who. 2018 (February 2018 online ed.). A & C Black, an imprint of Bloomsbury Publishing plc. Retrieved 14 February 2018. (subscription or UK public library membership required)
- Twitter bio
- "Danielle Rowley". Companies House. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Moore, Hannah (21 June 2017). "Meet the four new MPs who are still in their 20s". BBC Newsbeat. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "Profiles of the new Scottish MPs". Holyrood. 21 June 2017. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "Rt Hon Emily Thornberry MP pays visit to Midlothian to open Danielle Rowley MP's office". Danielle Rowley. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Rampen, Julia (26 June 2017). "Labour MP for Midlothian Danielle Rowley: "I get my politics from my mum as well as my dad"". New Statesman. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "Young Dalkeith politician in running for award". Midlothian Advertiser. 28 January 2011. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Gordon, Tom (3 May 2017). "Scottish Labour deputy denies nepotism as daughter named candidate". The Herald. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Swanson, Ian (11 July 2017). "Labour MP uses maiden speech to attack foodbank 'disgrace'". The Scotsman. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- MP, Danielle Rowley (7 July 2017). "Delighted to be appointed as PPS to @EmilyThornberry – looking forward to working with her & Shadow Foreign and Commonwealth team". @DaniRowley. Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- Carrell, Severin (18 November 2017). "Richard Leonard wins Scottish Labour leadership in decisive victory". The Guardian.
- "Danielle Rowley MP". parliament.uk. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- Profile at Parliament of the United Kingdom
- Contributions in Parliament at Hansard 2010–present
- Voting record at Public Whip
- Record in Parliament at TheyWorkForYou
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
| Member of Parliament for Midlothian
|This article about a Labour Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom representing a Scottish constituency is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Member of the Parliament of the United Kingdom elected at the 2017 general election or a subsequent by-election is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|