Motto in English
|Established||November 1, 1947|
|Undergraduates||Jukjeon Campus: 10,466
Cheonan Campus: 11,686
|Postgraduates||Jukjeon Campus: 3,648
Cheonan Campus: 3,987
|Location||Jukjeon Campus: Yongin, Gyeonggi, South Korea
Cheonan Campus: Cheonan,
Chungnam, South Korea
|Revised Romanization||Dan'guk Daehakgyo|
Dankook University (commonly referred to as Dankook), abbreviated as DU or DKU, is a private research university located in Yongin and Cheonan, South Korea. The University was established in the Year of 1947 as the first established university after the National Liberation Day of Korea, and its original location was located in Jongno District and Yongsan District (after Jongno), Seoul.
Dankook University was ranked 148th in Asia by QS Asian Universities Ranking in 2010.
Dankook University has a global affiliate network of universities and institutes.
- Study abroad programs at sister universities allow students to improve their language skills. Dankook University gives financial support and several academic credits.
- Short-term visiting programs provide faculty, staff and students with opportunities to expose themselves to global standards.
- International summer/winter schools are designed to welcome students from sister universities and non-affiliated institutions.
- Global Talent Network is a student organization that consists of Korean and international students. It seeks to promote mutual cooperation.
There is an extension campus in Cheonan, a city in South Chungcheong province. The Cheonan campus includes the largest hospital in the region and one of Korea's top dental programs, as well as the only four-year Mongolian Language and Literature Department in Korea. The university hosts a student body of about 20,000, and employs an instructional faculty of about 630.
Global Dankook and mascot
Dankook University's mascot is the black bear. Each campus has a bronze bear statue.
As mentioned above, Dankook University was the first private university established after Korea gained independence in 1947. After an establishment, the University now features 20 undergraduate colleges and 10 professional graduate schools divided between its new Jukjeon campus, constructed in 2007, and its Cheonan campus.
Both campuses have international exchange programs and are home to foreign students and faculty from countries such as the United States, China and the United Kingdom.
The international presence at Dankook continues to grow thanks to its collaborative relationships with more than 90 universities from 30 countries around the world, including Stockholm University in Sweden, California State University and Ohio Northern University in the USA and La Trobe University in Australia. These relationships have fostered international summer schools programs, student exchanges, and short-term visits abroad.
The foundation of Dankook University was approved on November 1, 1947, its opening taking place at Nakwon-dong, Jongno-gu, Seoul, on November 3 of the same year.
The university was launched based on the financial donations of the late Hyedang, Cho Huijae and the former chairperson Park Jeongsook, as well as the education philosophy of Beomjeong, Chang Hyong. At the time of its foundation, the university had 960 students, with two departments in the Faculty of Law and three departments in the Faculty of Liberal Arts. Professor Chang Dobin was inaugurated as the first dean.
The university holds international symposiums, publishes academic journals, and manages 22 research institutes such as the Oriental Study Research Institute, the Information Display Research Institute, the Buried Cultural Property Research Institute and the Special Education Research Institute and the Medical Laser Research Institute etc., and has 20 affiliates and affiliated education organizations such as the Seokjuseon Museum and the Information and Communication Center.
It was selected as the best institute in 10 fields for the general university evaluations of 1999. Jukjeon Campus
- College of Liberal Arts
- College of Art and Design
- College of Natural Science
- College of Social Science
- College of Management and Business
- College of Engineering, the College of Architecture
- College of Education
- College of Music
- College of Cultural Science
- College of Social Science
- College of Law
- College of Management and Business
- College of High Technology
- College of Engineering
- College of Bioresource Science
- College of Art
- College of Physical Education
- College of Medicine
- Dental College
The graduate schools were opened in 1958. Twelve graduate schools are managed in 65 departments for the master's course and 51 departments for the doctor's course and the Business Graduate School, the Juridical Affairs and Administration Graduate School, the Education Graduate School, the Design Graduate School, the Information and Communication Graduate School, the Special Education Graduate School, the Mass Culture and Art Graduate School, the TESOL Graduate School, the Real EstateㆍConstruction Graduate School, and the Policy Management Graduate School, the Sports Science Graduate School and the Health and Welfare Graduate School, on Jukjeon Campus.
- Park Tae-hwan: swimmer, Olympic swimming gold medalist
- Oh Seung-hwan: professional baseball player, Olympic gold medalist
- Lee Byung-kyu: professional baseball player
- Son Tae-Jin: Olympic taekwondo gold medalist
- Kim Jong-kook: singer
- Bada (singer): singer, musical actress
- Rain: singer, actor
- Jang Hyuk: actor
- Ha Ji-won: actress
- Kim Hyun-joo: actress
- T.O.P: rapper in Big Bang and actor
- Naul: singer Brown Eyed Soul
- Yoo Ji-tae: actor
- Jo Seung-woo: actor
- Danny Ahn: singer
- Jay Park: singer, former leader in 2PM
- Taecyeon: singer in 2PM
- Eru: singer
- Lee Minhyuk: singer in BtoB
- Park Jung-min: singer in group SS501 and actor
- Kim Hyung-jun: singer in group SS501 and actor
- Kim Sang-hyun: musical actor
- Lee Chae-young: actress, model
- Lee Yo-won: actress, model
- Park Bo-young: actress
- Ji Chang-wook: actor
Dankook University Hospital
Dankook University Hospital (DKUH) opened in April 1994 to improve regional health. It has 1300 medical and other staff.
DKUH is the largest general hospital in Chung Nam Province, South Korea, with 900 patient beds and 33 specialty clinics including Internal Medicine, Surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat), PM and R (Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation), and Diagnostic Radiology. DKUH is active in medical research with the Medical Laser Research Center, Life Science Research Institute, Gastrointestinal Research Unit and Bio technology Research Institute.
- List of colleges and universities in South Korea
- List of Korea-related topics
- Education in South Korea
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Dankook University.|
- Official school website, in English
- Official school website, in Chinese
- Official school website, in Korean