Dannielynn Hope Marshall Stern
September 7, 2006
|Known for||Birkhead paternity case|
Anna Nicole Smith
|Relatives||Daniel Smith (half-brother) (1986–2006)|
Dannielynn Hope Marshall Birkhead (born Dannielynn Hope Marshall Stern; September 7, 2006) is an American model and reality show personality. She is the daughter of Anna Nicole Smith and Larry Birkhead, and was the focus of the Dannielynn Birkhead paternity case.
Dannielynn is the younger half-sister of Daniel Wayne Smith (1986–2006). Dannielynn's mother had previously been married to Billy Wayne Smith from 1986 until 1993 and J. Howard Marshall II from 1994 until his death in 1995. In May 2006, Smith approached her former boyfriend, Ben Thompson of South Carolina, to inform him that he was the father of her unborn child. Thompson told Smith that was impossible because he had a vasectomy. Smith lived in Thompson's house in the Bahamas which was the subject of ownership dispute between them.
Early life and paternity
This section has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Dannielynn Hope Marshall Stern was born to Anna Nicole Smith on September 7, 2006 in Nassau, Bahamas. Almost immediately, questions over her paternity arose, quickly followed by the death of her half-brother, Daniel Smith, three days after her birth. Smith's death and Dannielynn's custody preceded the paternity claims made by attorney Howard K. Stern; Larry Birkhead, Smith's bodyguard Alexander Denk, and Frederic von Anhalt, husband of the actress Zsa Zsa Gabor. Smith named Howard K. Stern as father on her daughter's birth certificate.
Birkhead was a Kentucky native and celebrity photographer who brought his challenge to court to legitimize his claim. After DNA testing, Birkhead was formally established as the father. After gaining custody of his daughter, Birkhead’s surname was changed from Stern to Birkhead.
When Birkhead was five months old, her mother died of a prescription drug overdose at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Hollywood, Florida. In 2008, she was declared sole heir to Smith's estate, estimated at $700,000.
Modeling and media focus
At age six, Birkhead started modeling, for Guess Kids, the children's line for Guess clothing. Paul Marciano, the co-founder of Guess, stated "Dannielynn has the same playful spirit that her mother had on a set." The campaign was followed by the Spring 2013 line.
Since her birth, Birkhead has been the focus of media attention; the media have been described as "circling like vultures". She and her father attended the Kentucky Derby since 2008, where her parents had first met.
In August 2014, federal court judge David O. Carter ruled Dannielynn Birkhead will not receive $44 million from the estate of the late E. Pierce Marshall, the son of J. Howard Marshall. Her father was hopeful that Dannielynn would receive a substantial amount of money in sanctions. Judge Carter, however, denied the request, ruling that there was "just no evidence before the court that justifies awarding sanctions against Pierce Marshall's estate".
|2018||Entertainment Tonight||One episode||Self|
|2017||Inside Edition||One episode||Self|
|2016||Steve Harvey||One appearance||Self|
|2015||The Millionaire Matchmaker||One episode||Self|
|2014||Celebrity Wife Swap||Larry Birkhead/Hélio Castroneves||Self|
|2013||Life After Anna Nicole: The Larry & Dannielynn Story||TV movie||Self|
|2011||True Crime with Aphrodite Jones||Anna Nicole Smith: Tragedy on Trial||Self|
|2008–13||Entertainment Tonight||Six episodes||Self|
|2007–12||Access Hollywood||Six episodes||Self|
- "Anna Nicole Smith Fighting Paternity Suit, Now Eviction". ABC.com, October 24, 2006.
- "Anna Nicole's Bodyguard: I Could be Dad". Fox News, February 16, 2007.
- "Zsa Zsa's Prince Seeks Paternity Test for Anna Nicole's Baby". IrishExaminer.com, February 14, 2007.
- Cuticchia, A.J. (2009). Genetics: A Handbook for Lawyers. ABA fundamentals. American Bar Association. p. 63. ISBN 978-1-60442-969-5. Retrieved 30 September 2018.
- "Birkhead named baby's dad; Stern won't fight for custody". CNN. April 10, 2007. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- Dannielynn Declared Sole Heir To Anna Nicole Smith's Estate". Associated Press, March 05, 2008.
- "Dannielynn Birkhead Battles Eye Problem". People.com, Stephen M. Silverman, January 14, 2008.
- Misener, Jessica. "Dannielynn Birkhead, 6, Models For Guess Kids (PHOTOS)". Huffington Post. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- Ravitz, Justin. "Dannielynn Birkhead's Guess Ad Is "Her Only Connection" to Mom Anna Nicole Smith, Says Dad Larry Birkhead". US Weekly. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- Carpenter, Cassie (May 3, 2014). "Dannielynn Birkhead poses with father Larry at Kentucky Derby party ahead of their Celebrity Wife Swap episode". Daily Mail. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- Corneau, Allison (May 4, 2015). "Dannielynn Birkhead, 8, Looks All Grown Up at Kentucky Derby With Dad Larry: Cute Photos of Anna Nicole Smith's Daughter". US Magazine. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "Anna Nicole Smith's daughter Dannielynn Birkhead at Kentucky Derby". Fox News. May 4, 2015. Retrieved May 7, 2015.
- "Anna Nicole Smith's Estate Denied Again: Judge Says Dannielynn Won't Receive $44m". Mike Vulpo, Claudia Rosenblum, E!Online, August 20, 2014.