|Born||James Daniel Bowien
1982 (age 34–35)
Danny Bowien (born James Daniel Bowien in 1982) is a chef and co founder of Mission Chinese Food and the Mission Burger in San Francisco, California. He is a 2013 James Beard Award winner and won the Pesto World Championship in 2008. among other nominations.
Bowien was born in South Korea and raised in Moore, Oklahoma. He began his culinary career in New York City, at Sumile, later he moved to San Francisco, where he worked at Blowfish Sushi, Slow Club and Tsunami, before working at Farina, when he won the Pesto World Championship.
Bowien worked at Mission Street Food with Anthony Myint, and Mission Burger. He started Mission Chinese Food in San Francisco, CA. Mission Chinese Food was named the second Best New Restaurant in America by Bon Appetit Magazine. and fourth Best New Restaurant in America by GQ Magazine. In 2012 Bowien launched Mission Chinese Food in New York City. In 2013, he opened a Mexican restaurant, called Mission Cantina, in New York.
He was nominated a 2011 Rising Star Chef by the San Francisco Chronicle, and he is also a 2012 and 2013 James Beard Finalist. Bowien was nominated for other titles too, as Food and Wine, 40 Big Thinkers under 40, and People best New Chef for California . San Francisco Chronicle named him one of the Bay Area 30 under 30.
In May 2013, Bowien was awarded the prestigious "Rising Star Chef" by the James Beard Foundation for his work in the Mission Chinese Food in San Francisco and New York City.
Bowien currently lives in New York City, New York with his wife Youngmi Mayer and son Mino.
- "2008 Championship". Pestochampionship.it. Archived from the original on 2012-07-24. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "The Best New Restaurants in America, 2011: In the Magazine". bonappetit.com. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Thursday, February 16, 2012, by Carolyn Alburger (2012-02-16). "GQ's Alan Richman Names Mission Chinese Food Among Ten Best New Restaurants of 2011". Sf.eater.com. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Fabricant, Florence (2012-02-13). "Mission Chinese Food Is Coming to New York — NYTimes.com". San Francisco (Calif): Dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Fabricant, Florence (2013-10-28). "Danny Bowien's Mission Cantina Opens Soon". The New York Times.
- Hu, Janny (2011-03-13). "Danny Bowien: 2011 Rising Star Chef". SFGate. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- Carey Jones (2012-03-19). "James Beard Foundation Announces 2012 Finalists". Serious Eats. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Anthony Myint & Danny Bowien: Charitable Chefs | Food & Wine". Foodandwine.com. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "The People's Best New Chef: California | Food & Wine". Foodandwine.com. Retrieved 2012-08-30.
- "Inside Scoop SF » Zagat unveils its Bay Area contingent of 30 Under 30". Insidescoopsf.sfgate.com. 2012-02-22. Retrieved 2012-08-30.