|Writer(s)||Frederick Weatherly (lyrics)|
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Initially written to a tune other than "Londonderry Air", the words to "Danny Boy" were penned by English lawyer and lyricist Frederic Weatherly in Bath, Somerset in 1910. After his Irish-born sister-in-law Margaret (known as Jess) in the United States sent him a copy of "Londonderry Air" in 1913 (an alternative version has her singing the air to him in 1912 with different lyrics), Weatherly modified the lyrics of "Danny Boy" to fit the rhyme and meter of "Londonderry Air".
Weatherly gave the song to the vocalist Elsie Griffin, who made it one of the most popular songs in the new century; and, in 1915, Ernestine Schumann-Heink produced the first recording of "Danny Boy".
Oh, Danny boy, the pipes, the pipes are calling
From glen to glen, and down the mountain side.
The summer's gone, and all the roses falling,
It's you, it's you must go and I must bide.
But come ye back when summer's in the meadow,
Or when the valley's hushed and white with snow,
It's I'll be here in sunshine or in shadow,—
Oh Danny boy, Oh Danny Boy, I love you so!
But if you come, when all the flowers are dying,
And I am dead, as dead I well may be,
Ye'll come and find the place where I am lying,
And kneel and say an "Avé" there for me.
And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me,
And all my grave will warmer, sweeter be,
For you will bend and tell me that you love me,
and I will sleep in peace until you come to me!
There are various theories as to the true meaning of "Danny Boy". Some have interpreted the song to be a message from a parent to a son going off to war or leaving as part of the Irish diaspora.
The 1918 version of the sheet music included alternative lyrics ("Eily Dear"), with the instructions that "when sung by a man, the words in italic should be used; the song then becomes "Eily Dear", so that "Danny Boy" is only to be sung by a lady". In spite of this, it is unclear whether this was Weatherly's intent.
- "Danny Boy" is considered to be an unofficial signature song and anthem, particularly by Irish Americans and Irish Canadians.[not in citation given]
- The song is popular for funerals; but, as it is not liturgical, its suitability as a funeral song is sometimes contested. In 1928, Weatherly himself suggested that the second verse would provide a fitting requiem for the actress Ellen Terry.
- In the Courage the Cowardly Dog episode "The Magic Tree of Nowhere", Courage creates an eel monster that sings lyrics from "Danny Boy".
- In the Futurama episode "A Pharaoh to Remember", Dr. Zoidberg sings it at a fake funeral for Bender.
- A big band version of the song is used as the theme for The Danny Thomas Show (a.k.a. Make Room for Daddy).
- "Danny Boy" was used to represent Northern Ireland at the start of the London 2012 Olympics opening ceremony, sung by a choir of children on the Giant's Causeway.
- On November 25, 2014, the Vancouver Canucks used the song in honour of the recently deceased Pat Quinn, who played and worked in many executive capacities for the team.
- In the Modern Family episode "Regrets Only", Jay Pritchett sings this song on a karaoke machine.
- On April 13, 2013, a South Korean girl group Girls' Generation released the concert album of the 2011 Girls' Generation Asia Tour album. Girls' Generation sang the song on CD 2, track number 7.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (June 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
"Danny Boy" has been recorded multiple times by a variety of performers. Several versions performed by notable performers are listed below in chronological order.
|1939||Gracie Fields||Shipyard Sally soundtrack|
|1940||Judy Garland||Little Nellie Kelly soundtrack||Garland also sang it live at her concerts in Ireland and Scotland and most famously at her New York Palace Theatre debut in 1951|
|1940||Glenn Miller and His Orchestra||Single only||#17 on Billboard; Arranged by Glenn Miller and pianist Chummy MacGregor|
|1945||Bing Crosby||Merry Christmas||Paired with "I'll Be Home for Christmas" on its original single|
|1950||Al Hibbler||Single only||#9 on the R&B chart|
|1955||Slim Whitman||Single only|
|1956||Ruby Murray||The Voice of Ireland||Released as part of her Irish songs album.|
|1959||Conway Twitty||Saturday Night||#10 on Billboard Hot 100 and #18 on R&B charts and #1 in Italy (banned by the BBC)|
|1961||Jim Reeves||The Blizzard/Danny Boy 7" 45rpm vinyl LP||Released as 45rpm vinyl LP which only contained two songs.|
|1961||Andy Williams||Danny Boy and Other Songs I Love to Sing||#15 on the U.S. adult contemporary and #64 on the Hot 100 charts|
|1962||Connie Francis||""Connie Francis Sings Irish Favorites"||Released as an all-Irish album.|
|(numerous albums)||Judith Durham also performed it solo on many albums and TV appearances|
|1964||Patti LaBelle and the Bluebelles||Sweethearts of the Apollo||#76 on Hot 100|
|1965||Johnny Cash||Orange Blossom Special|
|1965||Jackie Wilson||Single only||#94 on Hot 100 and #25 on R&B charts|
|1967||Ray Price||Danny Boy||#60 on Hot 100 and #9 on Country charts|
|1972||Roy Orbison||""Memphis (album)"|
|1972||Glen Campbell||The Artistry of Glen Campbell|
|1976||Elvis Presley||From Elvis Presley Boulevard, Memphis, Tennessee|
|1979||Thin Lizzy||Black Rose: A Rock Legend||Gary Moore and Phil Lynott Thin Lizzy had previously recorded an instrumental version, titled Dan, on their Tribute to Deep Purple album in 1972|
|1990||Carly Simon||My Romance (album)|
|1990||Frank Patterson||Miller's Crossing soundtrack||Also included in 1999 album, Ireland In Song|
|1992||John McDermott||Independent recording|
|2002||Jonny Cash||"American IV: The Man Comes Around "||American Recordings, Universal|
|2013||Girls' Generation||2011 Girls' Generation Tour||CD 2, #7, the song is sung by five members (Taeyeon, Tiffany, Seohyun, Jessica, Sunny)|
|2013||The Gothard Sisters||Compass||#11|
|2014||BYU Vocal Point||Lead Now Me On: Hymns and Inspiration|
|2015||Damien Leith||Songs from Ireland||#11 in Australia|
|2015||Lisa Hannigan||Fargo||Season 2, Episode 7 "Did you do this? No, you did it!"|
|2016||Emad Younan||"The Voice Australia (season 5)|
- "The 'Danny Boy' Trivia Collection". Standingstones.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Fred Weatherly's own description of writing Danny Boy". Retrieved 2010-03-09.
- In Sunshine And In Shadow: The family story of Danny Boy by Anthony Mann (Weatherly's great grandson) ISBN 1300775017
- George Petrie: The Ancient Music of Ireland, 1855
- "The true meaning of Danny Boy". Standingstones.com. Retrieved 2010-03-09.
- McCourt, Malachy (30 Mar 2005). Danny Boy: The Legend of the Beloved Irish Ballad (Reprint ed.). New American Library. p. 128. ISBN 0-451-20806-4.
- Hinnesbusch, Patricia D. "Irish Song Danny Boy Meaning and History of Irish Ballads." Symbol Meaning for Hundreds of Symbols & Symbol Resources. Living Arts Enterprises, LLC, 14 Sept. 2010.
- No byline (2001-08-10), "'Danny Boy' cannot be played during Mass". National Catholic Reporter. 37 (36):11
- " Danny Boy (2011 Girls' Generation Tour)". Youtube.com. 2012-12-19. Retrieved 2016-03-12.
- "Danny Boy (Londonderry Air) (song by The Glenn Miller Orchestra) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Danny Boy (song by Al Hibbler) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Ruby Murray – The Voice Of Ireland". Discogs. Discogs. Retrieved June 19, 2016.
- "Danny Boy (song by Conway Twitty) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1959-09-28. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- [dead link]
- "HPI - Settimana del 26/03/60". Hitparadeitalia.it. 2007-03-25. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- Leigh, Spencer (2008). This Record Is Not to Be Broadcast Vol. 2: 50 More Records Banned by the BBC (liner notes). Fantastic Voyage. FVDD 038.
- "Danny Boy (song by Andy Williams) • Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1961-10-30. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Danny Boy (song by Patti LaBelle & the Bluebelles) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1964-12-19. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Danny Boy (song by Jackie Wilson) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1965-02-27. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
- "Danny Boy (song by Ray Price) ••• Music VF, US & UK hits charts". Musicvf.com. 1967-03-25. Retrieved 2016-08-29.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|