Danny M. C. Calegari (born 24 May 1972) is an Australian-American mathematician who is currently a Professor at the University of Chicago. His research interests include geometry, dynamical systems, low-dimensional topology, and geometric group theory. Calegari was one of the recipients of the 2009 Clay Research Award for his solution to the Marden Tameness Conjecture and the Ahlfors Measure Conjecture.
Education and early career
In 1994, Calegari received a B.A. in Mathematics from the University of Melbourne with honors. He received his Ph.D. in 2000 from the University of California, Berkeley under the joint supervision of Andrew Casson and William Thurston; his dissertation concerned foliations of three-dimensional manifolds.
From 2000–2002 he was Benjamin Peirce Assistant Professor at Harvard University, after which he joined the California Institute of Technology faculty; he became Merkin Professor in 2007. He was a University Professor of Pure Mathematics at the University of Cambridge in 2011–2012, and has been a Professor of Mathematics at the University of Chicago since 2012. In 2012, he became a fellow of the American Mathematical Society.
- Foliations and the geometry of 3-manifolds. Oxford Mathematical Monographs. Oxford: Oxford University Press. 2007. pp. xiv+363 pp. ISBN 978-0-19-857008-0. MR 2327361.
- scl (stable commutator length). MSJ Memoirs. 20. Tokyo: Mathematical Society of Japan. 2009. pp. xii+209 pp. ISBN 978-4-931469-53-2. MR 2527432.
- "-covered foliations of hyperbolic 3-manifolds". Geometry & Topology. 3: 137–153. 1999. arXiv:math/9808064. doi:10.2140/gt.1999.3.137. MR 1695533.
- Calegari, Danny; Dunfield, Nathan (2003). "Laminations and groups of homeomorphisms of the circle". Inventiones Mathematicae. 152 (1): 149–204. arXiv:math/0203192. Bibcode:2003InMat.152..149D. doi:10.1007/s00222-002-0271-6. MR 1965363.
- "Promoting essential laminations". Inventiones Mathematicae. 166 (3): 583–643. 2006. arXiv:math/0210148. Bibcode:2006InMat.166..583C. doi:10.1007/s00222-006-0004-3. MR 2257392.
- Calegari, Danny; Gabai, David (2006). "Shrinkwrapping and the taming of hyperbolic 3-manifolds". Journal of the American Mathematical Society. 19 (2): 385–446. arXiv:math/0407161. MR 2188131.
- "Universal circles for quasigeodesic flows". Geometry & Topology 10 (2006), 2271-2298.
- "What is stable commutator length?" (PDF). Notices of the American Mathematical Society. 55 (9): 1100–1101. 2008. MR 2451345.
- "Research Awards | Clay Mathematics Institute". www.claymath.org. Retrieved 2015-10-29.
- Danny Matthew Cornelius Calegari at the Mathematics Genealogy Project.
- Calegari's curriculum vitae.
- List of Fellows of the American Mathematical Society, retrieved 2012-11-10.
- As listed at Calegari's web page.
|This article about an Australian scientist is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an American mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|