|4th President of Seychelles|
Assumed office |
16 October 2016
|Vice President||Vincent Meriton|
|Preceded by||James Michel|
|Vice President of Seychelles|
1 July 2010 – 16 October 2016
|Preceded by||Joseph Belmont|
|Succeeded by||Vincent Meriton|
8 May 1962|
|Political party||People's Party|
|Spouse(s)||Jeanine Faure (div. 2016)|
Danny Faure (born 8 May 1962) is a Seychellois politician who has been President of Seychelles since 16 October 2016. Previously, he served as Vice President of Seychelles from 2010 to 2016. Faure is a member of the People's Party (PP).
Background and education
Faure was born to Seychellois parents in the western Ugandan town of Kilembe. He completed his primary and secondary education in Seychelles. He studied at a university in Cuba, graduating with a degree in political science.
In 1985, at the age of 23, Faure started working as an assistant curriculum officer at the Seychelles education ministry. He also worked as a lecturer at both the National Youth Service and the Seychelles Polytechnic.
In 1993, following the return of multiparty democracy to the island nation, Faure became the leader of government business in the National Assembly, serving in that capacity until 1998. That year, he was appointed as Minister of Education. Over the years, he has served in various ministerial capacities including youth, finance, trade and industries, public administration and information and communication technology.
In 2006, he was appointed as Minister of Finance by President James Michel. During his tenure at finance, Seychelles embarked on a series of economic reforms, recommended by the International Monetary Fund. Faure oversaw the first generation reforms, which ran from October 2008 to October 2013. Faure served as designated minister between 2004 and 2010. He became Vice President on 1 July 2010, while retaining the finance portfolio.
Background to presidency
President James Michel announced on 27 September 2016 that he would resign, effective on 16 October, and transfer power to Vice President Faure. The announcement coincided with the election of an opposition majority in the National Assembly. As there were four years of Michel's term remaining, it was to count as a full term for Faure. Faure was accordingly sworn in on 16 October 2016.
- Seychelles News Agency, Seychelles Vice President and wife divorce
- George Thande Quoting Reuters (16 October 2016). "Danny Faure sworn in as new president of Seychelles". Businessinsider.com. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- Uranie, Sharon (16 October 2016). "Seychelles' new President: Danny Faure sworn in to office, calls for unity". Seychelles News Agency. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- Sharon Uranie; Patsy Athanase; Salifa Magnan; Madiha Philo (28 September 2016). "Shock, sadness, confusion and joy: Mixed reactions in Seychelles after surprise resignation of President Michel". Seychelles News Agency. Retrieved 18 October 2016.
- "News - Press Room - State House - Office of the President of the Republic of Seychelles". www.statehouse.gov.sc. Retrieved 16 November 2017.
| Vice President of Seychelles
| President of Seychelles