February 28, 1954
Kfar Saba, Israel
|Died||June 12, 2016(aged 62)|
|Alma mater||Dartmouth College (A.B.)|
University of Edinburgh (Ph.D.)
|Peak rating||2493 (December 1994)|
|This section uses algebraic notation to describe chess moves.|
Kopec was Greater NY High School Champion at 14, and reached master at 17. Kopec won the Scottish Chess Championship in 1980 while pursuing his doctorate. He lived in Canada for two years during the 1980s, and competed there with success, including second-equal in the 1984 Canadian Chess Championship. Kopec achieved the FIDE International Master title in 1985 and had several top three finishes (including second place ties) in the US Open.
He wrote numerous books on the subject of chess, produced eight chess instructional DVDs, and ran chess camps starting in 1994. Kopec also worked to promote his chess opening, the Kopec System (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bd3!?). With Ivan Bratko, he was the creator of the Bratko–Kopec Test, which was one of the de facto standard testing systems for chess-playing computer programs in the 1980s.
Kopec published notable academic pieces in the areas of artificial intelligence, machine error reduction, intelligent tutoring systems, and computer education.
Kopec died on June 12, 2016, from pancreatic cancer.
Partial chess bibliography
- (1980) Best Games Of The Young Grandmasters, with Craig Pritchett (non-fiction chess), publisher Bell and Howell, London
- (1985) Master Chess: A Course in 21 Lessons (non-fiction chess)
- (1997) Practical Middlegame Techniques with Rudy Blumenfeld (non-fiction chess)
- (1998) Test, Evaluate, and Improve your Chess co-author Hal Terrie (non-fiction chess)
- (2002) Chess World Title Contenders and Their Styles co-author Craig Pritchett (non-fiction chess)
- (2003) Mastering the Sicilian (non-fiction chess)
- (2004) Winning the Won Game co-author Ľubomír Ftáčnik (non-fiction chess)
- Kopec, Danny "Human and Machine Representations of Knowledge" University of Edinburgh 1982 https://www.era.lib.ed.ac.uk/bitstream/handle/1842/8122/Kopec1982PhD_redact.pdf?sequence=1
- Niro, Frank "International Master Danny Kopec, 1954-2016" US Chess Federation Obituary, June 22, 2016 https://new.uschess.org/news/international-master-danny-kopec-1954-2016/
- Sands, David "In Kopec’s games, a lesson from the (international) chess master" The Washington Times June 21, 2016 http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/21/in-kopecs-games-a-lesson-from-the-international-ch/
- "Chess Programming Wiki".
- Kopec's Academic Resume (Brooklyn College)
- Goichberg, Bill (June 12, 2016). "DANNY KOPEC, 1954-2016". chesstour.com. Continental Chess Association. Retrieved June 12, 2016.
- Danny Kopec rating card at FIDE at the Wayback Machine (archived 2016-03-03)
- Danny Kopec player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Academic Website at Brooklyn College
- Kopec Chess Services