|Occupation||Teacher, child actor|
|Years active||1980–1982, 2019|
|Spouse(s)||Jessi Diana Lloyd (née Brackett)|
Danny Lloyd (born October 13, 1972) is an American teacher and former child actor best known for his role as Danny Torrance in the horror film The Shining (1980), an adaptation of Stephen King's 1977 novel of the same name.
Life and career
Lloyd's first and best-known role is that of Danny Torrance in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980). He was selected for the role due to his ability to maintain his concentration for extended periods. In the DVD commentary by Garrett Brown and John Baxter, they state that Kubrick was able to film all of Lloyd's scenes without the six-year-old actor realizing he was in a horror film. He was led to believe that he was just acting in a drama film about a family who lives in a hotel.
Lloyd was also interviewed in Making The Shining (1980), filmed by Stanley's daughter, Vivian Kubrick. Despite his well-received performance in The Shining, Lloyd retired from acting at the age of ten after his appearance as Young G. Gordon Liddy in the television film Will: G. Gordon Liddy (1982).
|1980||The Shining||Danny Torrance|
|1982||Will: G. Gordon Liddy||Young G. Gordon Liddy||Television film|
|1984||Terror in the Aisles||Danny Torrance||Documentary compilation using archive footage from several horror films, including The Shining.|
|2019||Doctor Sleep||Mr. Trevor||Cameo|
- Ellen, Barbara (29 October 2017). "What a Shining example to child stars of today". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- "Danny Lloyd - About This Person". The New York Times. Baseline. All Media Guide, LLC. Archived from the original on 12 July 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Maslin, Janet (23 May 1980). "Movie Review: The Shining". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Archived from the original on 13 July 2012. Retrieved 6 June 2012.
- Daniel, Hugo; Beekman, Daniel (7 October 2013). "All work and no play — Dan Lloyd who played Danny Torrence in 'The Shining' went on to be a pig farmer and a high school teacher". New York Daily News. New York. Archived from the original on 6 October 2018. Retrieved 5 April 2014.
- Mustafa, Filiz (1 November 2019). "Did you spot Doctor Sleep's cameo from The Shining star?". Digital Spy. Retrieved 10 November 2019.
- "All work and no play — Dan Lloyd who played Danny Torrence in 'The Shining' went on to be a pig farmer and a high school teacher".
- Clarke, Cath (27 October 2017). "Danny Lloyd – the kid in The Shining: 'I was promised that tricycle after filming but it never came'". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 October 2019.