Daniel Edward Lloyd
|Occupation||Teacher, child actor|
|Spouse(s)||Jessi Diana Lloyd (née Brackett)|
Daniel Edward Lloyd (born October 13, 1972) is an American former child actor best known for his role as Danny Torrance in the horror film The Shining (1980), an adaptation of Stephen King's 1977 novel of the same name.
Life and career
Lloyd's first and best-known role is that of Danny Torrance in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980). He was selected for the role due to his ability to maintain his concentration for extended periods. In the DVD commentary by Garrett Brown and John Baxter, they state that Kubrick was able to film all of Lloyd's scenes without the six-year-old actor realizing he was in a horror film. He was led to believe that he was just acting in a drama film about a family who lives in a hotel.
Lloyd was interviewed in Making The Shining (1980), filmed by Kubrick's daughter, Vivian Kubrick. Despite his well-received performance in The Shining, Lloyd retired from acting at the age of ten after his appearance as young G. Gordon Liddy in the television film Will: G. Gordon Liddy (1982).
Lloyd is married to Jessi Diana (née Brackett) and has four children.
|1980||The Shining||Danny Torrance|
|1982||Will: G. Gordon Liddy||Young G. Gordon Liddy||TV Movie|
|1984||Terror in the Aisles||Danny Torrance||Archive footage|
- Flick, Bill (October 19, 2015). "Flick: Danny's taken a 'shining' to real life". The Pantagraph. Retrieved October 16, 2020.
- Ellen, Barbara (October 29, 2017). "What a Shining example to child stars of today". The Guardian. Guardian News and Media Limited. Retrieved October 27, 2018.
- Lucia Bozzola (2013). "Danny Lloyd - About This Person". Movies & TV Dept. The New York Times. Baseline & All Movie Guide. Archived from the original on July 12, 2012. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- Maslin, Janet (May 23, 1980). "Movie Review: The Shining". The New York Times. The New York Times Company. Archived from the original on July 13, 2012. Retrieved June 6, 2012.
- Daniel, Hugo; Beekman, Daniel (October 7, 2013). "All work and no play — Dan Lloyd who played Danny Torrence in 'The Shining' went on to be a pig farmer and a high school teacher". New York Daily News. New York. Archived from the original on October 6, 2018. Retrieved April 5, 2014.
- White, Nicholas (October 30, 2019). "How 'Doctor Sleep' Filmmakers Pulled Off That 'Shining' Cameo". Variety. Retrieved January 12, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)