June 14, 1985 |
Tempe, Arizona, United States
|Other names||The Gremlin|
|Height||5 ft 5 in (1.65 m)|
|Weight||125 lb (57 kg; 8.9 st)|
|Division||Flyweight (125 lb)|
|Reach||67.0 in (170 cm)|
|Fighting out of||San Diego, California, United States|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Danny Martinez (born June 14, 1985) is an American mixed martial artist who competed in the Ultimate Fighting Championship's flyweight division. Martinez fights in flyweight division of the Absolute Championship Berkut.
Early MMA career
A native Arizonan, Montague began his mixed martial arts career in 2006, competing first at lightweight and then featherweight in regional promotions, primarily across the Southwestern United States. Martinez faced former UFC title challenger Mark Hominick in 2008, where Hominick defeated Martinez via unanimous decision. Martinez compiled a professional record of 11-2, before facing Joseph Benavidez in a bantamweight bout on December 3, 2008 at WEC 37. Benavidez defeated Martinez via unanimous decision.
Over the next few years, Martinez dropped in weight class to the flyweight division, and also had a brief stint on The Ultimate Fighter 18. Martinez was defeated in an elimination bout by future finalist, Davey Grant.
Ultimate Fighting Championship
On the heels of a 6-1 run for regional promotions, Martinez signed with the UFC in January 2014. He made his promotional debut as a short notice replacement, filling in for Kyoji Horiguchi against Chris Cariaso on February 1, 2014 at UFC 169. Cariaso defeated Martinez via unanimous decision.
Martinez faced Scott Jorgensen on June 7, 2014 at UFC Fight Night 42. Jorgensen defeated Martinez via unanimous decision. Their performance earned both participants Fight of the Night honors.
Absolute Championship Berkut
Martinez faced Darren Mima on January 13, 2017 at ACB 51. He won the fight by unanimous decision.
Championships and Accomplishments
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|28 matches||21 wins||7 losses|
|Win||21–7||Darren Mima||Decision (unanimous)||ACB 51: Silva vs. Torgeson||January 13, 2017||3||5:00||Irvine, California, United States|
|Win||20–7||Benjamin Vinson||Decision (unanimous)||Combate Americas - Combate Ocho||August 11, 2016||3||5:00||Los Angeles, California, United States|
|Win||19–7||Richie Vaculik||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 193||November 15, 2015||3||5:00||Melbourne, Australia|
|Loss||18–7||Sirwan Kakai||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Machida vs. Romero||June 27, 2015||3||5:00||Hollywood, Florida, United States||Bantamweight bout.|
|Loss||18–6||Scott Jorgensen||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Henderson vs. Khabilov||June 7, 2014||3||5:00||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||18–5||Chris Cariaso||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 169||February 1, 2014||3||5:00||Newark, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||18–4||Ian Dela Cuesta||Decision (unanimous)||Coalition of Combat: Free 4 All||December 1, 2012||3||5:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||17–4||Richie Bonafidini||TKO (punches)||Xplode Fight Series: Disarm||March 24, 2012||1||2:33||Valley Center, California, United States|
|Win||16–4||Nick Boyd||TKO (punches)||Xplode Fight Series: Brutal Conduct||January 21, 2012||1||1:49||Valley Center, California, United States|
|Win||15–4||Eduardo Espinosa||Decision (unanimous)||Ultimate Warrior Challenge Mexico 9: They're Back||March 26, 2011||3||5:00||Tijuana, Mexico|
|Loss||14–4||Jussier Formiga||Decision (unanimous)||Tachi Palace Fights 7||December 2, 2010||3||5:00||Lemoore, California, United States||Flyweight debut.|
|Win||14–3||Nick Honstein||TKO (punches)||King of Champions: Night of Champions||June 27, 2009||2||2:06||Denver, Colorado, United States|
|Loss||13–3||Joseph Benavidez||Decision (unanimous)||WEC 37||December 3, 2008||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||13–2||Joey Marimberga||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Evolution MMA||October 4, 2008||3||3:19||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||12–2||Justin Cruz||TKO (doctor stoppage)||Total Combat 31||September 20, 2008||2||4:27||Yuma, Arizona, United States|
|Win||11–2||Felipe Chavez||Submission (guillotine choke)||Rage in the Cage 113||August 2, 2008||1||2:07||Albuquerque, New Mexico, United States|
|Loss||10–2||Adrian Woolley||Decision (unanimous)||TKO 34||June 7, 2008||5||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada||For the TKO Bantamweight Championship.|
|Win||10-1||Johan Croes||TKO (punches)||TKO 33||April 18, 2008||3||3:00||Oranjestad, Aruba|
|Win||9–1||Justin Goodall||KO (punches and elbows)||Xtreme FC 3: Rage in the Cage||March 2, 2008||2||1:43||Tampa, Florida, United States||Bantamweight debut.|
|Loss||8–1||Mark Hominick||Decision (unanimous)||TKO 31||December 14, 2007||3||5:00||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Win||8–0||Derithe Harper||Decision (split)||Rage in the Cage 102||October 13, 2007||3||3:00||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Win||7–0||Billy Kidd||Submission (rear-naked choke)||EC Fights||September 29, 2007||3||N/A||Monterrey, Mexico||Featherweight debut.|
|Win||6–0||Kavi Cermak||Decision (unanimous)||Rage in the Cage 91||February 24, 2007||3||3:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||5–0||Yasha Tabrizy||TKO (punches)||Rage in the Cage 89||December 2, 2006||2||1:26||Fountain Hills, Arizona, United States|
|Win||4–0||Daniel Hinsen||Submission (guillotine choke)||Rage in the Cage 88||November 11, 2006||1||0:44||Tucson, Arizona, United States|
|Win||3–0||Cameron Mayer||TKO (injury)||Rage in the Cage 85||August 5, 2006||2||3:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||2–0||Greg Saenz||Decision (split)||Rage in the Cage 84||July 1, 2006||3||3:00||Phoenix, Arizona, United States|
|Win||1–0||Tim Goodwin||TKO (punches)||Universal Fight Promotions: Supermacy||June 3, 2006||1||2:31||Carlsbad, New Mexico, United States|
- "Fight Card - UFC Fight Night Henderson vs. Khabilov". UFC.com. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- "inspiration to Anthony B".
- Damon Martin (November 12, 2008). "Joseph Benavidez vs. Danny Martinez at WEC 37". mmaweekly.com. Retrieved November 12, 2008.
- Staff (September 6, 2013). "TUF Season 18: Episode 1 Recap". scifighting.com. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- Zane Simon (January 19, 2014). "UFC signs TUF 18 fighter Danny Martinez". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Damon Martin (January 19, 2014). "Martinez replaces Horiguchi, steps in to face Cariaso at UFC 169". msn.foxsports.com. Archived from the original on January 19, 2014. Retrieved January 19, 2014.
- Steven Marrocco (February 1, 2014). "UFC 169 results and photos: Chris Cariaso gets past Danny Martinez". MMAjunkie.com. Retrieved February 1, 2014.
- Jesse Holland (2014-04-25). "Scott Jorgensen vs. Danny Martinez booked for June 7 in Albuquerque". mmammamania.com. Retrieved April 25, 2014.
- Steven Marrocco (2014-06-07). "UFC Fight Night 42 results, photos: Scott Jorgensen hangs on to beat Danny Martinez". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved June 7, 2014.
- Staff (2014-06-08). "UFC Fight Night 42 Fighter Bonuses: Henderson, Hallmann, Jorgensen and Martinez Bank $50,000". sports.yahoo.com. Retrieved June 8, 2014.
- Staff (2015-06-23). "Martinez vs. Kakai completes Saturday's nine-bout UFC Fight Night 70 card". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-23.
- Brent Brookhouse (2015-06-27). "UFC Fight Night 70 results: Sirwan Kakai shuts out Danny Martinez in debut". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-06-27.
- Staff (2015-09-03). "UFC 193 adds Richie Vaculik vs. Danny Martinez". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-09-03.
- Bren Brookhouse (2015-11-14). "UFC 193 results: Danny Martinez outworks Richie Vaculik to take unanimous decision". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2015-11-14.