Michel in his studio in 2011
January 31, 1970 |
|Occupation(s)||Musician, songwriter, producer|
|Labels||MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada, Six Shooter, Cumbancha, Stonetree|
Michel began making solo records in the 1990s after being a member of many bands including the power-pop trio Starling (Timebomb Records). Soon afterward, he signed a deal with MapleMusic Recordings/Universal Music Canada in 2003 and released Tales from the Invisible Man. In 2004, he was nominated as 'New Artist of the Year at the Canadian Juno Awards. and later released Valhalla.
In 1999 Danny independently released Fibsville
In 2001 Danny independently released In the Belly of a Whale
In 2008 he independently released the album Feather, Fur & Fin. The title track quickly landed on the Playlist for the Planet released by the David Suzuki Foundation. and was a guest on Suzuki's last Blue Dot tour.
In 2010 Michel independently released both Live in Winnipeg & Sunset Sea
In 2011/12, Michel relocated to Central America Belize to record with The Garifuna Collective, an Afro-Amerindian cultural group, on the album Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me. The album landed him a Juno Award nomination in the world music category and a sold-out summer tour of North America with The Garifuna Collective as his band. In June 2013, the album was longlisted for the 2013 Polaris Music Prize and released in Canada on Six Shooter Records and worldwide on Cumbancha Records.
The Ocean Academy
While in Belize, Michel created "The Danny Michel Ocean Academy Fund", helping raise scholarships for the Caye Caulker Community School, a small non-profit community high school in Belize. To date, he's raised over $75,000.00 for the school and volunteers there when he can.
In 2016 he released Matadora on Six Shooter Records
In 2017 he released Khlebnikov, a classical-based album written and recorded with film composer Robert Carli aboard the Russian ice-breaker, Kapitan Khlebnikov, during an 18-day Arctic expedition through the Northwest Passage with Canadian astronaut Chris Hadfield and a collection of artists from around the world. He won two Canadian Folk Music Awards for Khlebnikov at the 13th Canadian Folk Music Awards, for Producer of the Year (with Carli) and the Pushing the Boundaries award.
On June 29/18 Danny announced he is releasing a new album one song at a time over the following weeks/months
Dan's Space Van
Dan’s Space Van is a mobile web series created and hosted by Michel. The show takes place in an original customized 1978 GMC Vadura (airbrushed in a Star Trek theme). The show features interesting people and musical guests who perform in the van. Past guests include Blue Rodeo, Barenaked Ladies, Bahamas, Emm Gryner, Lindy Vopnfjord, Chris Hadfield, Alan Doyle, The Milk Carton Kids, Joel Plaskett, Hawklsey Workman, Steve Poltz, Alysha Brilla, Del Barber, Leeroy Stagger, Matt Mayes, 54-40, Dustin Bentall, Kendel Carson, Shane Koyczan, Barney Bental. Upcoming shows include Rose Cousins, Royal Wood, Kevin Briet, Irish Mythen, Fred Penner, Jeremy Fisher
- Fibsville (1999)
- In the Belly of a Whale (2001)
- Tales from the Invisible Man (2003)
- Loving the Alien (2004)
- Valhalla (2006)
- Welcome Home + Danny Michel and the Black Tornados Live DVD (2007)
- Feather, Fur & Fin (2008)
- Live in Winnipeg (2010)
- Sunset Sea (2010)
- Black Birds Are Dancing Over Me (2012)
- Matadora (2016)
- Khlebnikov (2017)
- Untitled (2018)
- Eisner, Ken (October 5, 2011). "Danny Michel finds a cause and Sunset Sea in Belize". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- Saxberg, Lynn (March 28, 2013). "Great album's music doesn't suffer despite stripped-back approach". Ottawa Citizen. Retrieved April 4, 2013.[permanent dead link]
- "Artist summary: Danny Michel". JunoAwards.ca. Canadian Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Archived from the original on December 26, 2013. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Playlist for the Planet". davidsuzuki.org. David Suzuki Foundation. Retrieved April 4, 2013.
- "Canadian Folk Music Awards: Danny Michel leads winners on first night". Ottawa Citizen, November 18, 2017.