Danny O'Keefe in 1972
|Born||1943 (age 76–77)|
Spokane, Washington, United States
|Instruments||Vocals, guitar, piano|
|Labels||Cotillion, Atlantic, Warner Bros.|
Danny O'Keefe (born 1943, Spokane, Washington, United States) is an American singer-songwriter. O'Keefe's musical career has spanned four decades from his early days playing in the Minnesota coffee houses to his present station in the Seattle area. He is still active both in the recording studio and on stage.
O'Keefe is best known for his only hit single, "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues", which was released in September 1972, and reached number 9 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, and for "The Road", covered by Jackson Browne on Running on Empty. "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues" stayed on the Billboard chart for 14 weeks and sold a million copies. Sales culminated in a gold disc issued by the R.I.A.A. in June 1973.
O'Keefe's songs have been covered by numerous musicians, including Jackson Browne ("The Road"), Gary Stewart ("Quits"), Elvis Presley, Glen Campbell ("Quits"), John Denver ("Along For The Ride"), Donny Hathaway ("Magdalena"), Leo Sayer ("Magdalena"), Jerry Lee Lewis, Judy Collins ("Angel Spread Your Wings"), Leon Russell, Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Jimmy Buffett, Alison Krauss, Ben Harper, Cab Calloway, Mark-Almond, Andy Williams, and others; in Italy his song "The Road" has been covered by Ron, with Italian lyrics written by Lucio Dalla (and re-titled "Una città per cantare").
- 1966 - Danny O'Keefe - Burdette Records - Produced by Danny O'Keefe
- 1970 - Danny O'Keefe - Cotillion Records - Produced by Ahmet Ertegün
- 1972 - O'Keefe - Signpost/Atlantic Records - Produced by Arif Mardin. Contains the top-ten hit "Good Time Charlie's Got the Blues"
- 1973 - Breezy Stories - Atlantic Records - Produced by Arif Mardin. Contains the single "Angel Spread Your Wings"
- 1975 - So Long Harry Truman - Atlantic Records - Produced by John Boylan. Contains the single "Quits"
- 1977 - American Roulette - Warner Bros. Records - Produced by John Court and Kenny Vance
- 1979 - The O'Keefe File - Warner Bros. Records - Promotional LP containing songs from previous LPs
- 1979 - The Global Blues - Warner Bros. Records - Produced by Jay Lewis and Danny O'Keefe
- 1984 - The Day To Day - Coldwater Records - Produced by Mathew McCauley and Tony Peluso. Contained the singles "Along for the Ride" and "Someday"; both singles charted in the "20s" in AC charts
- 1989 - Redux - Beachwood/Chameleon Records - A re-release of The Day To Day with a new title and two new songs. Contained the singles "Along for the Ride" and "Someday". VH1 played the video of "Along for the Ride"
- 2000 - Runnin' From the Devil - Miramar Records - January 25, 2000
- 2000 - Danny's Best 1970 - 2000 - Raven Records Australia - 2000
- 2003 - Don't Ask w/Bill Braun - Produced by Bill Braun. All songs written and performed by Danny O'Keefe and Bill Braun
- 2008 - In Time - Bicamerical Songs - Produced by Mick Conley
- 2015 - Light Leaves the West - Road Canon Music- Produced by Gary Shelton