Danny Sullivan (technologist)
|Alma mater||University of California, Irvine|
|Known for||Founder of Search Engine Land and Maximized Online|
|Spouse(s)||Lorna Harris (m. ?)|
Danny Sullivan is an American technologist, journalist, and entrepreneur. He is the founded of Search Engine Watch in 1997, one of the earliest online publications about search engine marketing. He also launched Search Engine Strategies, one of the earliest search marketing trade shows. After selling both companies in 2006, he co-founded Search Engine Land, another search marketing publication . In 2017, he joined Google as an adviser at the search division of the company.
He has been credited with popularizing the term “search engine marketing” and has been described as the father of the search engine marketing industry.
Sullivan was born in 1965 and raised in California. He graduated from the University of California, Irvine, and was a reporter for the Los Angeles Times and The Orange County Register. Danny helped found Maximized Online with programmer Ken Spreitzer. Later, he married Lorna Harris, and lived for several years in Chitterne, a small village in England. They have two sons. The family moved to Newport Beach, California. Sullivan popularized the term Search Engine Marketing within an article he published on Search Engine Watch although he does not take credit for coining the term.
He was the chief content officer at Third Door Media, and co-founded Search Engine Land, an industry publication that covers news and information about search engines, and search marketing, SEO and SEM topics. Third Door Media also produces Marketing Land, a sister website that covers broader digital marketing topics including social media, display advertising, email marketing, analytics, mobile, and marketing technology. Search Engine Land and Marketing Land are owned by Third Door Media, of which Danny Sullivan was partner and chief content officer. He retired from his position as chief content officer at Third Door Media in June 2017.
In October 2017, Sullivan announced he will be joining Google as an adviser at the search division of the company. Danny is Google's public Search Liaison, who helps people better understand search and helps Google better hear public feedback.
Search Engine Watch
Sullivan started Search Engine Watch in June 1997 after he posted research about search engines, called A Webmaster's Guide To Search Engines, in April 1996. Search Engine Watch was a website with tips on how to get good search engine results. Shortly after beginning in November that year, he sold it for an undisclosed amount to MecklerMedia (now Jupitermedia). He stayed on to maintain the site, and be the editor-in-chief. In 2006, it was sold to Incisive Media for $43 million. Search Engine Watch was considered by Matt Cutts of Google as "must reading", and Tim Mayer of Yahoo! as the "most authoritative source on search".
He also staged the Search Engine Strategies conference six times each year, attracting 1,500 to 6,000 attendees each time. On 29 August 2006, Sullivan announced he would be leaving Search Engine Watch on 30 November 2006. He later came to an agreement with Jupitermedia to continue participating in SES through 2007.
Search Engine Land
Search Engine Land is a news website that covers search engine marketing and search engine optimization. One of the well-known blogs which shares information about keyword research, trends in search marketing (SEM), paid search advertising (PPC) and search engine optimization (SEO) as well as analysis, advice, tips, tactics and how-to guides for search marketing. It was founded in 2006 by Sullivan after he left Search Engine Watch. Search Engine Land stories have been cited numerous times by other media outlets.
Search Engine Post
- "The Master of Google's Search Algorithm Sits Down for a Q&A". smallbiztrends.com. Retrieved 5 September 2017.
- D'Onfro, Jillian (23 June 2018). "Meet the man whose job it is to reassure people that Google search isn't evil". CNBC. Retrieved 12 September 2021.
- Jefferson Graham: Got a search engine question? Ask Mr. Sullivan, USA Today, 8 January 2006.
- Elizabeth Stone: Helping Webmasters Land in Search Engines' Nets, 23 March 2000, The New York Times
- Sullivan, Danny. "Search Engine Marketing: You Like It, You Really Like It". Search Engine Land. Search Engine Land. Archived from the original on 19 September 2008. Retrieved 19 December 2016.CS1 maint: bot: original URL status unknown (link)
- Sullivan, Danny. "Does SEM = SEO + CPC Still Add Up?". Search Engine Land. Search Engine Land. Retrieved 19 December 2016.
- "Danny Sullivan joins Google, leaves advisor role at Third Door Media".
- Leaving Search Engine Watch Archived 23 January 2012 at the Portuguese Web Archive, Daggle
- Daggle Archived 8 July 2012 at archive.today, 23 October 2006, Danny Sullivan
- Wilson Oliver. "25 Blogs to Take Your Marketing Skills to Next Level". Content Inspire. Retrieved 8 August 2016.
- Google offers free voice-activated local search, CNET News.com, 6 April 2007
- After Long Delays, Yahoo Launches Panama Ranking System Archived 18 May 2007 at the Wayback Machine, MarketingVOX, 6 February 2007
- AFP and Google News settle lawsuit Archived 8 January 2007 at the Wayback Machine, Reuters UK, 7 April 2007
- Search Engine Post Archived 11 January 2021 at the Wayback Machine, Search Engine Post - Our Ideal Guest Post Writer